1 2 3 4 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 7:42 PM by Madrid Go to original post
      • 30. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
        Hi Madrid,
        Thank you for responding in so much detail.
        Yes you are right about the IP configuration which I did.

Taking a look at the last errors I realize the PATH
        environment variable is just mixed with other things,
        either you have another oracle home installed on the
        same host or your PATH environment variable is not
        properly pointing to your actual ORACLE_HOME.
        My PATH is as follows...
        C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin;C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\bin;C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\jre\1.4.2\bin\client;C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\jre\1.4.2\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
        Now let's fix it.

Create a loopback adapter and declare a fixed ip
        address for it at the loopback adapter's properties.
        Then declare the hostname at the windows hosts file
        and associate this name with the newly declared IP
        address for the loopback adapter.
        My hostname is already as "SUMAN" , so how to declare it at the windows hosts file ? and how to associate this name with the newly declared IP
        address for the loopback adapter?

, I am doing evrything on the machine itself where Oracle is installed.

The rest let me try.

Regards

Suman
        • 31. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
          Madrid
          From your PATH environment variable I see you are declaring this JRE environment: C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin prior to the JRE environment in your ORACLE_HOME, so when the assistants try to run they attempt to do it with the 1.1.7 instead of doing it with the 1.4.2, so they fail. I suggest to to change the order, so the JRE related to 10g appear first.

On the other hand, modifying the hosts file means you have to edit the file located at \windows\system32\drivers32\etc\hosts and just declare a line like this:

Loopback Ip Address Hostname

And you are done.

~ Madrid

http://hrivera99.blogspot.com/
          • 32. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
            Aman....
            Thanks Madrid.Its a good learning for me too.
            Aman....
            • 33. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
              Aman....
              Suman,
              I guess you try out what Madrid has suggested.If that doesnt work than will see the alternatives.
              Aman....
              • 34. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                Hi Madrid,
                I followed the instructions you gave as..

PATH
                C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\bin;C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\jre\1.4.2\bin\client;C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\jre\1.4.2\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;

IP Address :
                C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>emctl status dbconsole
                Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control Release 10.1.0.2.0
                Copyright (c) 1996, 2004 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                http://suman:5500/em/console/aboutApplication
                Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g is not running.

C:\>hostname
                suman

C:\>set oracle_sid=orcl

C:\>emctl stop dbconsole
                Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control Release 10.1.0.2.0
                Copyright (c) 1996, 2004 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                http://suman:5500/em/console/aboutApplication
                The system cannot find the path specified.
                --------------------------
                HOST association :
                # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
                #
                # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
                #
                # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
                # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
                # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
                # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
                # space.
                #
                # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
                # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
                #
                # For example:
                #
                # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
                # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

192.168.0.1 suman
                -------------------------------------
                So The same thing appears here.

Regards

Suman
                • 35. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                  Madrid
                  From the error messages displayed and the command output you posted, I can see there are missing steps in the procedure.

1. At the ip config I can see only one network adapter, it doesn't seem to appear the loopback adpater. If you are working on a dynamic IP assignment, don't expect the console to properly work.

2. The PATH environment variable is fixed now.

3. "The system cannot find the path specified." This error means you haven't reconfigured the console. Take a ook at the ORACLE_HOME and look for the folders created after the EM configuration, probably you will see there a localhost_InstanceName folder or a hostname_InstanceName, whatever you find, Enterprise Manager is looking for the other.

4. Configure the loopback adapter and deconfigure the console and drop the repository. Once you are done, you can rebuild the configuration by means of the dbca if you feel more comfortable with the graphical interface.

~ Madrid

• 36. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                    Madrid
                    Thanks Madrid.Its a good learning for me too.
                    Aman....
                    Thank you , the goal of the forums is always to achieve learning by means of positive ideas exchange.

~ Madrid

• 37. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                      Aman....
                      Thanks Madrid for the encouragement.I understand and completely agree with you.I have always believed that knowledge is only worth when it is shared among others who need it and sharing is the best way of learning.
                      Hope to learn so much more from peers like you.
                      Regards,
                      Aman....
                      PS:I read your blog.Going to add it to my bloglist in my blog,sites.
                      • 38. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                        Hi Aman & Madrid
                        Thank you both for your patience in guiding me this way. I have done as per instructions..here is the output what I have done...

--------------MyIPCONFIG
                        C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : suman
                        Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
                        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Loopback Adapter
                        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-4C-4F-4F-50
                        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
                        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>
                        --------------MyHostsFile
                        # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
                        #
                        # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
                        #
                        # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
                        # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
                        # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
                        # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
                        # space.
                        #
                        # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
                        # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
                        #
                        # For example:
                        #
                        # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
                        # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

192.168.1.101 suman

-----------------------MylistenerLOG
                        TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on 25-FEB-2008 12:57:48

Copyright (c) 1991, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

System parameter file is C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\listener.ora
                        Log messages written to C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\log\listener.log
                        Trace information written to C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\trace\listener.trc
                        Trace level is currently 0

Message 1081 not found; product=NETWORK; facility=TNS
                        Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROCipc)))
                        Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=suman)(PORT=1521)))
                        TIMESTAMP * CONNECT DATA [* PROTOCOL INFO] * EVENT [* SID] * RETURN CODE
                        25-FEB-2008 12:57:49 * (CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=)(USER=Admin))(COMMAND=status)(ARGUMENTS=64)(SERVICE=LISTENER)(VERSION=168821248)) * status * 0
                        25-FEB-2008 12:58:02 * (CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=)(USER=Admin))(COMMAND=status)(ARGUMENTS=64)(SERVICE=LISTENER)(VERSION=168821248)) * status * 0
                        Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=suman)(PORT=8080))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
                        Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=suman)(PORT=2100))(Presentation=FTP)(Session=RAW))
                        25-FEB-2008 12:58:30 * service_register * orcl * 0
                        25-FEB-2008 12:59:21 * service_update * orcl * 0
                        25-FEB-2008 12:59:33 * service_update * orcl * 0
                        25-FEB-2008 12:59:54 * service_update * orcl * 0
                        25-FEB-2008 13:00:27 * service_update * orcl * 0
                        ------------------------------------------MyListener.ORA

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora
                        # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                        (SID_LIST =
                        (SID_DESC =
                        (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
                        (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1)
                        (PROGRAM = extproc)
                        )
                        (SID_DESC =
                        (GLOBAL_DBNAME = ORCL)
                        (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1)
                        (SID_NAME = ORCL)
                        )
                        )

LISTENER =
                        (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                        (DESCRIPTION =
                        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
                        )
                        (DESCRIPTION =
                        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = suman)(PORT = 1521))
                        )
                        )

-----------------------------------------My emca-r as I am using 10.1.0.2.0
                        C:\>emca -r

STARTED EMCA at Mon Feb 25 12:58:34 GMT+03:00 2008
                        Enter the following information about the database to be configured
                        Listener port number: 1521
                        Database SID: orcl
                        Service name: orcl
                        Email address for notification: roy
                        Email gateway for notification: mail
                        Password for dbsnmp:
                        Password for sysman:
                        Password for sys:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You have specified the following settings

Database ORACLE_HOME ................ C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1
                        Enterprise Manager ORACLE_HOME ................ C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1

Database host name ................ suman
                        Listener port number ................ 1521
                        Database SID ................ orcl
                        Service name ................ orcl
                        Email address for notification ............... roy
                        Email gateway for notification ............... mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------
                        Do you wish to continue? [yes/no]: yes
                        DBConsole is already configured for the database orcl
                        Would you like to re-configure DBConsole for the specified database? [yes/no]: y
                        es
                        Make sure that DBConsole has been shutdown
                        When you are ready to continue, press <Enter>

Feb 25, 2008 12:59:31 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig updateReposVars
                        INFO: Updating file C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\sysman\emdrep\config\repositor
                        y.variables ...
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:32 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig stopOMS
                        INFO: Stopping the DBConsole ...
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:33 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig addPortEntries
                        INFO: Updating file C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\install\portlist.ini ...
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:33 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig updateEmdProps
                        INFO: Updating file C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\sysman\config\emd.properties .
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:33 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager getLocalListener
                        WARNING: Error retrieving listener for suman
                        oracle.sysman.emcp.exception.EMConfigException: <Error CONTEXT="NoListener" >
                        No listener found in "C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\listener.ora"
                        which is listening on port "1521"
                        </Error>

at oracle.sysman.emcp.util.ListenerUtil.getListenerTarget(ListenerUtil.j
                        ava:175)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager.getLocalListener(ParamsManager.java:
                        324)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig.updateTargets(EMConfig.java:2729)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig.updateConfigFiles(EMConfig.java:1355)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig.perform(EMConfig.java:407)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.invokeEMCA(EMConfigAssistant.jav
                        a:678)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.performSetup(EMConfigAssistant.j
                        ava:627)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.statusMain(EMConfigAssistant.jav
                        a:332)
                        at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.main(EMConfigAssistant.java:172)

Feb 25, 2008 12:59:33 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig updateConfigFiles
                        INFO: targets.xml file is updated successfully
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:33 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig updateEmomsProps
                        INFO: Updating file C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\sysman\config\emoms.properties
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:33 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig updateConfigFiles
                        INFO: emoms.properties file is updated successfully
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:37 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig startOMS
                        INFO: Starting the DBConsole ...
                        Feb 25, 2008 12:59:37 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
                        SEVERE: Error starting DBConsole. DBConsole could not be started successfully
                        Could not complete the configuration. Refer to the log file for details
                        --------------

So I am not succeded yet. If you have any further guidance to give me will be appreciated..

Regards

Suman
                        • 39. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                          Madrid
                          Prior to restart the procedure, please make sure your listener is up and running.

No listener found in "C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\listener.ora"
                          which is listening on port "1521"

~ Madrid

• 40. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                            mvanle
                            When your Windows hostname changes, for example due to

DHCP, or
                                Domain name change, or
                                Installing Oracle when no network adapter is installed (and then startup after Windows Network is installed),

later you may experience problems with dbconsole finding files.

C:\oracle>emctl start dbconsole
                                OC4J Configuration issue. C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1/oc4j/j2ee/OC4J_DBConsole_<hostname>_<sid> not found.

You will also find the following entries in the Windows Event Log:

Application Log:
                                =================================================================
                                Event Type: Error
                                Event Source: OracleDBConsoleorcl
                                Event Category: Disk
                                Event ID: 4
                                Date: 26/02/2008
                                Time: 9:53:19 AM
                                User: N/A
                                Computer: J8
                                Description:
                                Agent process exited abnormally during initialization.

System Log:
                                Event Type: Error
                                Event Source: Service Control Manager
                                Event Category: None
                                Event ID: 7023
                                Date: 26/02/2008
                                Time: 10:32:13 AM
                                User: N/A
                                Computer: J8
                                Description:
                                The OracleDBConsoleorcl service terminated with the following error:
                                The system cannot find the path specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
                                http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Follow this sweeping procedure to fix,

1. Shutdown all Oracle services

net stop OracleDBConsoleORCL
                                net stop OracleOraDb10g_home1iSQL*Plus
                                net stop OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener
                                net stop OracleServiceORCL

2. Delete the following directories (or rename / back them up !)

%ORACLE_HOME%\*_<SID>
                                %ORACLE_HOME%\oc4j\j2ee\*_<SID>

eg.

rd /s C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\localhost_ORCL
                                    rd /s C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\oc4j\j2ee\localhost_ORCL

3. Make sure you have a working Listener (the defaults will suffice).

%ORACLE_HOME%\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora:
                                SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
                                NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

%ORACLE_HOME%\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora:
                                SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                                    (SID_LIST =
                                        (SID_DESC =
                                        (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
                                        (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1)
                                            (PROGRAM = extproc)
                                        )
                                    )

LISTENER =
                                    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                                        (DESCRIPTION =
                                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
                                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
                                        )
                                    )

4.1. Start DBCA
                            4.2. Select "Configure Database Options"
                            4.3. Select database (default ORCL)
                            4.4. Select "Configure the Database with Enterprise Manager"
                            4.4. Click <Next> at "Database Contents (Step 4 of 6)"
                            4.5. Enter your DBA passwords
                            4.6. Click <Finish> at "Connection Mode (Step 6 of 6)"
                            4.7. Click <Ok> to confirm
                            4.8. When you get the following error,

Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the following
                                error -
                                Error instantiating EM configuration files
                                Refer to the log file at
                                %ORACLE_HOME%\cfgtoollogs\dbca\orcl\emConfig.log for more details.
                                You can retry configuring this database with Enterprise Manager
                                later by manually running %ORACLE_HOME%\bin\emca script.

Click <Ok>.

You will be returned to the previous DBCA Connection Mode screen
                            (Step 6 of 6).

4.9. Click <Finish> at "Connection Mode (Step 6 of 6)" (like at 4.6 above)
                            4.10. Click <Ok> to confirm (like in 4.7 above)
                            4.11. It may take a few minutes to rebuild the repository. Once completed, the following message appears:

The database configuration has completed successfully.
                                The Database Control URL is http://localhost:1158/em
                                Do You want to perform another operation ?

Click <No>.

5. Check EM dbconsole status with

emctl status dbconsole

EM dbconsole should work now.

Please refer to

Enterprise Manager Advanced Configuration

administration guide for more information.
                            • 41. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                              Hi
                              Yes, I started my listener before the whole procedure. when I start listener it works this way....
                              I have one listener only.

C:\>lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on 26-FEB-2008 09:02
                              :55

Copyright (c) 1991, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
                              System parameter file is C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\listener.or
                              a
                              Log messages written to C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\log\listener.log
                              Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROCipc)
                              ))
                              Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=suman)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
                              STATUS of the LISTENER
                              ------------------------
                              Alias LISTENER
                              Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Produ
                              ction
                              Start Date 26-FEB-2008 09:03:07
                              Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 3 sec
                              Trace Level off
                              Security ON: Local OS Authentication
                              SNMP OFF
                              Listener Parameter File C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\listener.o
                              ra
                              Listener Log File C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\log\listener.log

Message 1415 not found; product=NETWORK; facility=TNS
                              (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROCipc)))
                              (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=suman)(PORT=1521)))
                              Services Summary...
                              Message 1411 not found; product=NETWORK; facility=TNS

Message 1408 not found; product=NETWORK; facility=TNS

The command completed successfully

C:\>
                              why in Services Summary...it is giving message 1411 , 1408 not found? anything I did wrongly?
                              suman
                              • 42. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                                Aman....
                                Suman,
                                Instead of givnig the hostname=suman , give the ip address. What exactly you do when you do this configuraions?
                                Aman....
                                • 43. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                                  Aman,
                                  This is that problem "DBCONSOLE' not starting, As you know Madrid gave me some guidance also , I did all of that but still it is not working, The same problem regarding the Listener is "No listener found.........". But my listener is running.
                                  This time I configured Loopback Adapter and provided static IPs, configured the Hosts file, but no improvement yet.

thanks
                                  • 44. Re: emctl dbconsole not starting
                                    mvanle
                                    user617896,

Man your Oracle sounds really stuffed up :)

Try recreating your listener:

1. Shutdown Windows Listener service

C:\>net stop OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener

2. Delete the Windows Listener service

C:\>sc delete OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener

Check in Windows Services that it is gone,

C:\>services.msc

3. del %ORACLE_HOME%\NETWORK\ADMIN\*.ora

4. Add default listener using NetCA

Check that OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener is recreated in services.msc, and then try "lsnrctl start".