This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2008 12:45 AM by 450470 RSS

changing disk layout?

625084 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In order to improve performance on our calendar server (10.1.2, running on Linux), we'd like to split out our calendar database onto separate partitions as described in the "Large Deployment Disk Storage Recommendation" section of Appendix A of the Oracle Calendar Administrators Guide.

We set up the disks, and during a maintenance window shut down the server, copied our db/nodes and db/tmp directories onto the new disks, moved the existing directories out of the way, and then made symlinks pointing db/nodes and db/tmp to the new disks.

When we tried to start the calendar, unicheck seems to have failed due to the permissions on those directories (now lrwxrwxrwx) not matching what they were before (drwx------), so we had to abort that attempt and revert back to the current configuration.

Is there a better way to get this to work? I attempted to try hardlinking, but it seems that hardlinking across disks isn't permitted. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam
  • 1. Re: changing disk layout?
    450470 Explorer
    Maybe you should make the softlinks at a different directory level
  • 2. Re: changing disk layout?
    625084 Newbie
    Maybe you should make the softlinks at a different
    directory level
    Where? I'm not seeing a place where unicheck won't fail or we won't get any benefit. If I make it $ORACLE_HOME/ocal/db I suspect unicheck will still fail, and I'll only be using one of the new filesystems. Any further back and I won't really be gaining any performance.

My current thought at this point is to actually make the mount points for these filesystems be $ORACLE_HOME/ocal/db/nodes. As long as the permissions are ok, I think this will work. Does anyone see a reason why it wouldn't?

We're probably going to try this soon, and I'll post with the results.
  • 3. Re: changing disk layout?
    625084 Newbie
    >
    My current thought at this point is to actually make
    the mount points for these filesystems be
    $ORACLE_HOME/ocal/db/nodes. As long as the
    permissions are ok, I think this will work. Does
    anyone see a reason why it wouldn't?

We're probably going to try this soon, and I'll post
    with the results.
    We finally did this this morning and it worked.
  • 4. Re: changing disk layout?
    450470 Explorer
    Very good news !