12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 2:25 AM by 580482

"Got minus one from a read call" error --please help

Hi,
      I am trying to create a database connection in JDeveloper (installed from p4573517_11i_Generic.zip) to my EBS 11.5.10.2CU on a Linux box.

I got a "IO exception : Got minus one from a read call" when I tried to test the connection in the database connection wizard.

I have checked the connection parameters many times.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Chunlei
        • 1. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
          Check the connection params again. are you able to connect using sqlplus from the command line?

--Shiv                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          • 2. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
            Sumit Chandra Sharma
            As Shiv pointed out, it has more to do with your network settings. See if you are connected to the VPN (if required) or the tns entry is in place. If the SQLplus is working fine, the jdev should follow too.
            • 3. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
              Thank you, Shiv and Sumit.

This is my first time to install JDeveloper on my own laptop. Do I need to install Oracle Client too? If I do not, where should I add the tns entry.

The network should be working fine. I can login to the EBS from this laptop.

Chunlei
              • 4. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
                Login to ebs is different thing. All I am asking is to verify whether you are able to connect to database using any sql tool?

--Shiv                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                • 5. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
                  Hi Shiv,
                  I tried to connect to the database by SQLPlus and Enterprise manager, but both failed.

The DBC file I copied from EBS instance is:

#DB Settings
                  #Fri Feb 15 14:58:02 PST 2008
                  GUEST_USER_PWD=GUEST/ORACLE
                  APPL_SERVER_ID=463B56595DAA6E8DE040A8C050013FF933005836783505288108254724696664
                  FND_JDBC_BUFFER_DECAY_INTERVAL=300
                  APPS_JDBC_DRIVER_TYPE=THIN
                  FND_JDBC_BUFFER_MIN=1
                  GWYUID=APPLSYSPUB/PUB
                  FND_JDBC_BUFFER_MAX=5
                  APPS_JDBC_URL=jdbc\:oracle\:thin\:@(DESCRIPTION\=(LOAD_BALANCE\=YES)(FAILOVER\=YES)(ADDRESS_LIST\=(ADDRESS\=(PROTOCOL\=tcp)(HOST\=INSPIRON.cdu.com)(PORT\=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA\=(SERVICE_NAME\=VIS1)))
                  FND_JDBC_STMT_CACHE_FREE_MEM=TRUE
                  FND_JDBC_STMT_CACHE_SIZE=0
                  TWO_TASK=VIS1
                  FND_MAX_JDBC_CONNECTIONS=500
                  FND_JDBC_USABLE_CHECK=false
                  FNDNAM=APPS
                  FND_JDBC_PLSQL_RESET=false
                  DB_PORT=1521
                  FND_JDBC_CONTEXT_CHECK=true
                  FND_JDBC_BUFFER_DECAY_SIZE=5
                  DB_HOST=inspiron.cdu.com

And I created the following tns entry.
                  inspiron.cdu.com =
                  (DESCRIPTION =
                  (ADDRESS_LIST =
                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = inspiron.cdu.com)(PORT = 1521))
                  )
                  (CONNECT_DATA =
                  (SERVICE_NAME = VIS1)
                  )
                  )

When I tried to connect to the database by SQLPlus/Enterprise manager, I got the following error.
                  TNS: Connection closed.

Can you please give me some suggestions.

Thanks.
                  Chunlei
                  • 6. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
                    When I run TNSPing inspiron.cdu.com, I got the following errors.

TNS-12547: TNS: lost contact.

Thanks.
                    Chunlei
                    • 7. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      I tried to connect to the database by SQLPlus and Enterprise manager, but both failed
                      When I tried to connect to the database by SQLPlus/Enterprise manager, I got the following error.
                      TNS: Connection closed.
                      You need to register the hosts which you want to give SQL*Plus access as nodes.

From OAM, navigate to Site Map > Administration > System Configuration > Hosts > Register.

You may also comment "tcp.validnode_checking = yes" but this will allow any client to be able to connect to the Database.

For more details, please refer to Note: 291897.1 - 11.5.10 New Features : Managed SQL*Net Access from Hosts
                      https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=291897.1
                      • 8. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
                        Hi Hsawwan,
                        I followed the instrucitons and the issue has been resolved.

Thank you very much.

Also, thank you, Shiv and Sumit.

Chunlei
                        • 9. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
                          I got this error while configuring the cluster database in the OEM Grid Control :
                          Io exception: Got minus one from a read call The Connect Descriptor was (DESCRIPTION=(...

solution is for my case :
                          The Oracle direcotry need the 755 permission
                          ls -ltr
                          total 20
                          drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Feb 9 2010 lost+found
                          drwx------ 6 oramupp1 dba 4096 Mar 4 2010 oracle
                          chmod 755 oracle
                          ls -ltr
                          total 20
                          drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Feb 9 2010 lost+found
                          drwxr-xr-x 6 oramupp1 dba 4096 Mar 4 2010 oracle

Now the connection is fine.
                          • 10. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help
                            Thanks Gireesh, that fixed the issue for me as well.

But I did the chmod on the ORACLE_HOME for the user running the database.
                            • 11. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help

• 12. Re: "Got minus one from a read call" error --please help