This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2008 3:09 AM by 439126 RSS

How to be notified for all ORA- Errors recorded in the alert.log file

481639 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
based on Note:405396.1, I Changed the Matches Warning from the default value ORA-0*(600?|7445|4[0-9][0-9][0-9])[^0-9] to ORA-* in order to receive an warning alert for all ORA- errors.

but I just recieved the alert like the following:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Metric=Generic Alert Log Error
Time/Line Number=Mon Feb 25 23:52:21 2008/21234
Timestamp=Feb 26, 2008 12:06:03 AM EST
Severity=Warning
Message=ORA-error stack (1654, 1654, 1654) logged in /opt/oracle/admin/PRD/bdump/alert_PRD.log.
Notification Rule Name=Alert Log Error
Notification Rule Owner=SYSMAN
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

as you can see, the message only indicate the ORA-1654, nothing else.

How to set in 10g grid control to get the details alert that in the alert log like:
"ORA-1654: unable to extend index ADM.RC_BP_STATUS by 1024 in tablespace PSINDEX"

I can't believe Oracle 10g Grid control only provide the ORA- number without details
  • 1. Re: How to be notified for all ORA- Errors recorded in the alert.log file
    439126 Newbie
    What have you actually put in the alert log filter? Cut and paste exactly please.

Note the bottom of 405396.1:

"If you define the Warning or Critical Threshold for the metric "Generic Alert Log Error Status" with just ORA- without any pattern behind, then the full ORA error number will be displayed in the alert (or in the notification if set). You will get for example:
    "Message=ORA-error stack (00942) logged in <full path and name of the alert.log file>"

However in that case, as you did not specify any filter you will be alerted for all ORA- error messages recorded in the alert.log file. This must be kept in mind."

This is exactly your scenario.
  • 2. Re: How to be notified for all ORA- Errors recorded in the alert.log file
    481639 Newbie
    Generic Alert Log Error     Matches     ORA-*          
    Generic Alert Log Error Status     > 0     

The above are the settings under Metric and Policy Settings

Can anyone just simply tell me how do I setup in grid control to get the details (from email) alert like below:

//////////////////////////////////
    ORA-1653: unable to extend table ADM.PSGPUBDATA by 8192 in tablespace PIMAGE
    /////////////////////////////////

other than the current setting of my grid control which just send me a email said: 'Hi you got a 1653 error, go to check your alert file for details'

Message was edited by:
    11iuser
  • 3. Re: How to be notified for all ORA- Errors recorded in the alert.log file
    623427 Newbie
    Hi

You can't modify the settings of a email message of any type of ALERT . This is an action not supported because the code are embebed and it's not possible to edit.

You can do it two thinks:

If you create a UDM (User Define Metric) you can to edit the text of the SUBJECT in the alert mail, but only this.

Also, you can change the format of message. There are two options:

- Large Format
    - Short Format

For this you must edit the emoms.properties in the sysman/config directory

Regards
  • 4. Re: How to be notified for all ORA- Errors recorded in the alert.log file
    439126 Newbie
    Go to your database target.

On the home tab, on the left hand side under Diagnostic Summary, you'll see a clickable date link next to where it says 'Alert Log'. Click on that.

next click on Generic Alert Log Error Monitoring Configuration (its at the bottom)

In the alert thresholds put:

ORA-0*(600?|7445|4[0-9][0-9][0-9])[^0-9]

I believe that will pick anything up but experiment, its only perl.

If you want to test this use the DBMS_System.ksdwrt package but I would advise you only do so on a test database. If you've never heard of it, google it. Its a way of writing to your alert log.

Make sure you have your emails sent to long format as well.