1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2010 5:35 AM by Mkirtley-Oracle RSS

database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC

Hi,

I have 2 servers.

Server A:
      - CentOS_5.1 x386
      - MySQL 5.1
      - unixODBC
      - mysql-connector-odbc

Server B:
      - CentOS_5.1 x86_64
      - Oracle 11g
      - unixODBC
      - mysql-connector-odbc

I've configured ODBC, so I am able to do "isql <DSN> oracle oracle -v" sucessfully with "root" and "oracle" user on Oracle server. I've configured listener.ora and tnsnames.ora
      ________________________________________________________________-
      I added below lines to listener.ora

SID_LIST_LISTENER=
      (SID_LIST=
      (SID_DESC=
      (SID_NAME=mysqlware)
      (ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1)
      (PROGRAM=dg4odbc)
      (ENVS=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/hs/lib:/usr/lib64/:$ORACLE_HOME/lib)
      )
      )

and lines below to tnsnames.ora

mysqlware=
      (DESCRIPTION=
      (ADDRESS=
      (PROTOCOL=TCP)
      (HOST=<server's FQDN>)
      (PORT=1521)
      )
      (CONNECT_DATA=
      (SID=mysqlware))
      (HS=OK))
      ______________________________________________________________-

The content of $ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin/initmysqlware.ora is

# This is a sample agent init file that contains the HS parameters that are
      # needed for the Database Gateway for ODBC
      #
      # HS init parameters
      #
      HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = mysqlware
      HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME = /usr/lib64/libmyodbc3.so
      #
      # ODBC specific environment variables
      #
      set ODBCINI=/home/oracle/.odbc.ini
      #
      # Environment variables required for the non-Oracle system
      #
      set <envvar>=<value>

tnsping mysqlware returns.....

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
      Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION= (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL=TCP) (HOST=<server's FQDN>)) (PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA= (SID=mysqlware)) (HS=OK))
      OK (10 msec)

when I login to oracle and create PUBLIC DATABASE LINK with command....

create public database link link2mysqlware connect to
      2 "oracle" identified by "oracle" using 'mysqlware';
      Database link created.

THIS IS WHAT I GET.....

SQL> select * from "emp"@link2mysqlware;
      select * from "emp"@link2mysqlware
      ERROR at line 1:
      ORA-28545: error diagnosed by Net8 when connecting to an agent
      Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65535
      ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from LINK2MYSQLWARE

There is "emp" table in MySQL, from where I can even select with the use of isql command and from this Oracle server.

I would really appreciate some help here.
      Thanks in advance.

Tomaz Bracic
        • 1. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
          ebangma-Oracle
          Usually the ORA-28545 indicates a possible setup problem.

Things to check are:
          - HOST in the tnsnames.ora entry must point to the dg4odbc listener host
          uploaded info does not show the listener HOST and tnsnames HOST entry is <server's FQDN> so I cannot verify it.

- listener.log for additional errors

Ed
          • 2. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
            Tomaz,

Looking at your HSINIT file enties:

# HS init parameters
            #
            HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = mysqlware
            HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME = /usr/lib64/libmyodbc3.so
            #
            # ODBC specific environment variables
            #
            set ODBCINI=/home/oracle/.odbc.ini

HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME should actually point to the UnixODBC Driver Manager and not the MySQL ODBC Driver itself. "mysqlware" is presumably the name of the ODBC DSN defined in your .odbc.ini file, and it is the responsibility of the ODBC Driver Manager (UnixODBC, iODBC etc) to then load the corresponding ODBC Driver referenced by the DSN. That is the way ODBC works ie you do not load ODBC drivers directly the ODBC Driver Manager loads them on your behalf, enabling applications to be generically linked against and ODBC Driver Manager and then load an ODBC Driver without the need to be relinked etc.

So setting "HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME = <path-to>/libodbc.so" would enable the ODBC Driver Manager to be located and hopefully resolve your problem.

Hope this helps ...

Best Regards
            Hugh Williams
            OpenLink Software
            http://www.openlinksw.com
            • 3. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
              Hi Ed and Hugh,

I checked both suggestions.

The output is below. I changed hostname, FQDN and username.
              I changed to libodbc.so. I tried with /usr/lib64/libodbc.so and /usr/lib/libodbc.so since I have both. Tnsnames is ok, regarding the server name (FQDN) where Oracle is.

I hope this new info can help us.

And the same time I would like to thank you for your help.

Regards,
              Tomaz

__________________________________________________________________________________________
              [oracle@<hostname> ~]$ tnsping mysqlware

TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on 19-MAR-2008 12:46:49

Copyright (c) 1997, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
              /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
              Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION= (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL=TCP) (HOST=<FQDN>) (PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA= (SID=mysqlware)) (HS=OK))
              OK (0 msec)
              [oracle@<hostname> ~]$ sqlplus <username/password>

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Wed Mar 19 12:47:06 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
              Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - 64bit Production
              With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

-- oracle user below is user on mysql server with full permissions on database and
              -- oracle user with the same password is operational on Oracle server as well.

SQL> create public database link link6mysqlware connect to

SQL> select * from "emp"@link6mysqlware;
              select * from "emp"@link6mysqlware
              ERROR at line 1:
              ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from LINK6MYSQLWARE

SQL>

-- Content of the listener.log with the command issued infront.

-- tnsping mysqlware
              Wed Mar 19 12:46:49 2008
              19-MAR-2008 12:46:49 * ping * 0

-- select * from "emp"@link6mysqlware;

Wed Mar 19 12:47:18 2008
              19-MAR-2008 12:47:18 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=mysqlware)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=<FQDN>)(USER=oracle))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.10.3.228)(PORT=30231)) * establish * mysqlware * 12518
              TNS-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection
              TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact
              TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
              TNS-00517: Lost contact
              Linux Error: 32: Broken pipe

-- this was appended to lines above few moments later.
              Wed Mar 19 12:47:37 2008
              19-MAR-2008 12:47:37 * service_update * testware * 0
              Wed Mar 19 12:48:21 2008
              19-MAR-2008 12:48:21 * ping * 0
              WARNING: Subscription for node down event still pending
              19-MAR-2008 12:48:21 * (CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=<FQDN>)(USER=oracle))(COMMAND=status)(ARGUMENTS=64)(SERVICE=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=<FQDN>)(PORT=1521)))(VERSION=185599488)) * status * 0
              19-MAR-2008 12:48:29 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=testware)(CID=(PROGRAM=perl)(HOST=<FQDN>)(USER=oracle))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.10.3.228)(PORT=30246)) * establish * testware * 0
              • 4. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                ebangma-Oracle
                Tomaz,

As dg4odbc is 64-bit software you also need the 64-bit ODBC Driver manager and ODBC-Driver, so you have to use /usr/lib64/libodbc.so

The broken pipe in the listener.log can have a couple of rootcauses:
                1. dg4odbc executable cannot be found/started
                => What happens if you just type 'dg4odbc' at the command prompt (as the oracle software owner)? Does it return a banner saying which type and version of the gateway this is?

2. Permission problem, the oracle software account is not permitted to access (read/execute) the odbc.ini and /or odbc software. Actually it is the unix account that has started the gateway listener that is used with DG4ODBC, mostly this is the same as the oracle software account.

If none of the above is the cause, all that rest is to use a truss to check what goes wrong:
                - first obtain the PID of the gateway listener ( ps -ef | grep tns)
                - Use truss to system trace the listener:
                truss -faeo /tmp/truss.out -p <PID_of_listener)
                - use SQL*Plus and select from the database link to reproduce the failure
                - stop the truss session and look in the trace file, focus/search for the broken pipe (OS error 32) to try to find out what causes this.

Ed
                • 5. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                  He Ed,

[oracle@<hostname> ~]$ dg4odbc
                  dg4odbc: error while loading shared libraries: libagtsh.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                  [oracle@<hostname> ~]$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/lib
                  [oracle@<hostname> lib]$ ls -l libagtsh.so
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle oinstall 15 Mar 12 15:04 libagtsh.so -> libagtsh.so.1.0
                  [oracle@<hostname> lib]$
                  • 6. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                    ebangma-Oracle
                    Tomaz,

Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running dg4odbc:

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARAY_PATH:/$ORACLE_HOME/lib
                    $ dg4odbc

Ed
                    • 7. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                      Hi Ed,

great suggestion as far as dg4odbc goes. :)

dg4odbc now returns.....

$dg4odbc

Oracle Corporation --- WEDNESDAY MAR 19 2008 15:24:38.414

Heterogeneous Agent Release 11.1.0.6.0 - 64bit Production Built with
                      Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC

-- but I still get an error.....

SQL> create public database link link1 connect to

Database link created.

-- username and password above are used on mysql server. Is this correct?
                      -- are my tnsnames.ora and listener.ora correct? Especially listener.ora,
                      -- where I added SID_LIST_LISTENER and lines below that. (please see in my first post)

-- when I try to select from mysql table "emp" I still get an error. The same as before.

SQL> select * from "emp"@link1;
                      select * from "emp"@link1
                      ERROR at line 1:
                      ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from LINK1

SQL>

Kind regards,

Tomaz
                      • 8. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                        ebangma-Oracle
                        Tomaz,

For your listener configuration I would change the following:
                        (ENVS=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/hs/lib:/usr/lib64/:$ORACLE_HOME/lib)

to:
                        (ENVS=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/lib:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/hs/lib:/usr/lib64)

stop and restart the listener and try again.

Ed
                        • 9. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                          Hi Ed,

I did what you suggested and I think that we are getting closer and closer. Thanks to you.
                          Thanks again.

When I changed path variables... the number of errors lower to just one.

What I get now is ....
                          SQL> select * from "emp"@link6mysqlware;
                          select * from "emp"@link6mysqlware
                          * (this star is below the word link6mysqlware)
                          ERROR at line 1:
                          ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this message:
                          [

SQL>

Kind regards,

Tomaz
                          • 10. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                            Hi Ed,

if this helps....

I added
                            HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 2
                            to my $ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin/initmysqlware.ora file.

..... and when I do 'select * from "emp"@<link>'.... this is what I get in trace file.
                            I checked log file (trace) in $ORACLE_HOME/hs/log/<trace file>

#content is

Oracle Corporation --- WEDNESDAY MAR 19 2008 18:55:56.056

Heterogeneous Agent Release

Oracle Corporation --- WEDNESDAY MAR 19 2008 18:55:56.056

Version 11.1.0.6.0

HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL" returned "2"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME" returned "/usr/lib64/libodbc.so"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_OPEN_CURSORS" returned "50"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_FETCH_ROWS" returned "100"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_LONG_PIECE_TRANSFER_SIZE" returned "65536"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTER" returned ".,"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_RECOVERY_ACCOUNT" returned "RECOVER"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_TRANSACTION_LOG" returned ""HS_TRANSACTION_LOG""
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_TIMESTAMP_AS_DATE" returned "TRUE"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_CHARACTER_SEMANTICS" returned "FALSE"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_MAP_NCHAR" returned "TRUE"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_RESULT_SET_SUPPORT" returned "FALSE"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_PROC_IS_FUNC" returned "FALSE"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_REPORT_REAL_AS_DOUBLE" returned "FALSE"
                            using oracle as default value for "HS_FDS_DEFAULT_OWNER"
                            HOSGIP for "HS_SQL_HANDLE_STMT_REUSE" returned "FALSE"
                            ##>Connect Parameters (len=35)<##
                            ## DSN=mysqlware;
                            #! UID=oracle;
                            #! PWD=*
                            hgocont, line 1903: calling SqlDriverConnect got sqlstate I

Kind regards,
                            Tomaz
                            • 11. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                              ebangma-Oracle
                              Hi Tomaz,

An ORA-28500 error without any argument, that makes it difficult. Good thinking to get a gateway trace! But... unfortunately a level 2 trace is not enough. Could you repeat it with setting a debug trace level?

set HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL=DEBUG in the init file and start a new sqlplus session

Do not forget to turn it off again (HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL=OFF).

Ed
                              • 12. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                                Evening Ed,

I changed to debug and repeated the select ....... The output below is for one select that I did. (select * from "emp"@link1)

-------------------------------------------------

Oracle Corporation --- WEDNESDAY MAR 19 2008 21:50:51.371

Version 11.1.0.6.0

Entered hgogprd
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL" returned "DEBUG"
                                Entered hgosdip
                                setting HS_OPEN_CURSORS to default of 50
                                setting HS_FDS_RECOVERY_ACCOUNT to default of "RECOVER"
                                setting HS_FDS_RECOVERY_PWD to default value
                                setting HS_FDS_TRANSACTION_LOG to default of "HS_TRANSACTION_LOG"
                                setting HS_FDS_TRANSACTION_ISOLATION to default of "READ_COMMITTED"
                                setting HS_NLS_NCHAR to default of "AL32UTF8"
                                setting HS_FDS_TIMESTAMP_AS_DATE to default of "TRUE"
                                setting HS_RPC_FETCH_REBLOCKING to default of "ON"
                                setting HS_FDS_FETCH_ROWS to default of "100"
                                setting HS_FDS_RESULTSET_SUPPORT to default of "FALSE"
                                setting HS_FDS_PROC_IS_FUNC to default of "FALSE"
                                setting HS_FDS_CHARACTER_SEMANTICS to default of "FALSE"
                                setting HS_FDS_MAP_NCHAR to default of "TRUE"
                                setting HS_NLS_DATE_FORMAT to default of "YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS"
                                setting HS_FDS_REPORT_REAL_AS_DOUBLE to default of "FALSE"
                                setting HS_LONG_PIECE_TRANSFER_SIZE to default of "65536"
                                setting HS_SQL_HANDLE_STMT_REUSE to default of "FALSE"
                                setting HS_FDS_QUERY_DRIVER to default of "TRUE"
                                setting HS_FDS_SUPPORT_STATISTICS to default of "FALSE"
                                setting HS_CALL_NAME_ISP to "gtw$:SQLTables;gtw$:SQLColumns;gtw$:SQLPrimaryKeys;gtw$:SQLForeignKeys;gtw$:SQLProcedures;gtw$:SQLStatistics"
                                Exiting hgosdip, rc=0
                                ORACLE_SID is "mysqlware"
                                Product-Info:
                                Port Rls/Upd:6/0 PrdStat:0
                                Agent:Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC
                                Facility:hsa
                                Class:ODBC, ClassVsn:11.1.0.6.0_0006, Instance:mysqlware
                                Exiting hgogprd, rc=0
                                Entered hgoinit
                                HOCXU_COMP_CSET=1
                                HOCXU_DRV_CSET=873
                                HOCXU_DRV_NCHAR=873
                                HOCXU_DB_CSET=873
                                HOCXU_SEM_VER=110000
                                Entered hgolofn at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME" returned "/usr/lib64/libodbc.so"
                                Entered hgolofns at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2082a0
                                hoaerr:0
                                Exiting hgolofns at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a208330
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a208af0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a209d60
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2117d0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a211c70
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a214480
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a215930
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a216130
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a217b50
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a217b70
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a219270
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a21c410
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a21c7b0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a21e250
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a21eea0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a21f1a0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a220fd0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2213a0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a222ee0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a222d30
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a227dc0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2295b0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a229be0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a22b030
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a22b8f0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a22d550
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a22daa0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a22e2f0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a230c30
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a231770
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a232190
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a232c20
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a233110
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a233a10
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a233f20
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2344c0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a234b10
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2350a0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a236640
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a236380
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2374e0
                                symbol_peflctx=0x6a2380b0
                                Exiting hgolofn, rc=0 at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                HOSGIP for "HS_OPEN_CURSORS" returned "50"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_FETCH_ROWS" returned "100"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_LONG_PIECE_TRANSFER_SIZE" returned "65536"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTER" returned ".,"
                                Exiting hgoinit, rc=0 at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                Entered hgolgon at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                reco:0, name:oracle, tflag:0
                                Entered hgosuec at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                Exiting hgosuec, rc=0 at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_RECOVERY_ACCOUNT" returned "RECOVER"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_TRANSACTION_LOG" returned ""HS_TRANSACTION_LOG""
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_TIMESTAMP_AS_DATE" returned "TRUE"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_CHARACTER_SEMANTICS" returned "FALSE"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_MAP_NCHAR" returned "TRUE"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_RESULT_SET_SUPPORT" returned "FALSE"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_PROC_IS_FUNC" returned "FALSE"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_REPORT_REAL_AS_DOUBLE" returned "FALSE"
                                using oracle as default value for "HS_FDS_DEFAULT_OWNER"
                                HOSGIP for "HS_SQL_HANDLE_STMT_REUSE" returned "FALSE"
                                Entered hgocont at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = "mysqlware"
                                RC=-1 from HOSGIP for "HS_FDS_CONNECT_STRING"
                                Entered hgogenconstr at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                dsn:mysqlware, name:oracle
                                optn:
                                ##>Connect Parameters (len=35)<##
                                ## DSN=mysqlware;
                                #! UID=oracle;
                                #! PWD=*
                                Exiting hgogenconstr, rc=0 at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                Entered hgopoer at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                hgopoer, line 159: got native error 0 and sqlstate I; message follows...
                                [
                                Exiting hgopoer, rc=0 at 2008/03/19-21:50:51
                                hgocont, line 1903: calling SqlDriverConnect got sqlstate I
                                Exiting hgocont, rc=28500 at 2008/03/19-21:50:51 with error ptr FILE:hgocont.c LINE:1923 FUNCTION:hgocont() ID:Something other than invalid authorization
                                Exiting hgolgon, rc=28500 at 2008/03/19-21:50:51 with error ptr FILE:hgolgon.c LINE:612 FUNCTION:hgolgon() ID:Calling hgocont
                                Entered hgoexit at 2008/03/19-21:50:51

Kind regards,
                                Tomaz
                                • 13. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                                  ebangma-Oracle
                                  Hi Tomaz,

I've seen this error before... it should 'go away' by setting an explicit value for HS_LANGUGE in the gateway init file. HS_LANGUAGE describes the language/characterset settings MySQL operates in.

Can you try setting HS_LANGUAGE to the following value and try again?
                                  HS_LANGUAGE=american_america.we8iso8859p1

I suspect that you get a little further but then run into another problem regarding ANSI mode. But first let me know the result of the HS_LANGUAGE setting.

Ed
                                  • 14. Re: database link from Oracle to MySQL with the use of unixODBC
                                    Hi Ed,

First of all I would like to thank you for your help till now. I would respond earlier to your last post, but I've been away for few days...

I will try with HS_LANGUAGE tomorrow morning.

I think I've already set up ANSI settings. Did you mean...
                                    SET GLOBAL sql_mode = 'ANSI_QUOTES';

Kind regards,
                                    Tomaz
                                    1 2 Previous Next