5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2008 1:22 PM by PhilipRN-Oracle RSS

ASM install Windows 2003 server

I've been studying ASM over last few days. We have windows 2003 server 64 bit environment. This server has 2 internal disk drives within server. They are 250 GB a piece.

In several places I noticed that 1 GB partitions are created as part of ASM install. Is this preferred or someones preference?
        • 1. Re: ASM install Windows 2003 server
          In several places I noticed that 1 GB partitions are created as part of ASM install.
          This is not true..not sure where you found this information. ASM doesn't create partitions...it just creates Disk Groups using the underlying partitions. Not sure, if you are referring to the 1MB extent sizes...

Thanks
          Chandra
          • 2. Re: ASM install Windows 2003 server
            What I'm referring to is that in a number of examples I've seen the individuals doing ASM install are creating 1 gb partitions and then making these partitions part of the disk group...

So my question is are 1 gb partitions simply preference or a standard?
            • 3. Re: ASM install Windows 2003 server
              >>>> So my question is are 1 gb partitions simply preference or a standard?

I would say it is simply a preference... and definitely it is not a standard. May be the cases where you have seen - the individuals might be limited by the available space, space usage (..may be they just wanted 1GB of space)... It all boils down to the availability of space and its needs. I have seen where people have two LUNs of 500GB for each Disk Group.
              • 4. Re: ASM install Windows 2003 server
                I would go with esimated database size and projected growth.

i.e., for 500 gig database. I will use five 100g disks and add 100g disks for further growth. No mirroring since they are external redundancy.

Actual raw disk size may vary how SAN space curved or disk available.

Ashok
                • 5. Re: ASM install Windows 2003 server
                  PhilipRN-Oracle
                  Remember you are probably seeing this in the various install guides that are available. They are a good indication of how to install RAC/ASM but as far as disks go for ASM you need to think about how much data you will have ;-)

The best practice is that you should give whole LUN's (a full partition inside a Windows extended partition) to ASM. And that disks that make up a disk group should be of the same size and have the same performance profile. More than 1 disk per diskgroup.