11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 12:26 PM by 1000304

Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy

Hi
      Our organization is position driven organization. I want to know what are the main advantages and disadvantages for Position Hierarchy and Organization Hierarchy.

Because on top the hierarchies we will create security profiles.
      Can I have any document where I can find the comparison between both of these hierarchies.

Thanks
      Gaurav
        • 1. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
          Are you using Self Service? If yes, have you opted for the Supervisor hierarchy, or the Position Hierarchy?

The org hierarchy is by definition smaller, thus more manageable.
          • 2. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
            Yes I will be using Self Service for Manager Actions and OTL. Have not opted yet for anything. so analyzing what could be the best option.
            • 3. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
              Position hierarchy involves more maintenance than the supervisor hierarchy.
              For setting up the security the Org hierarchy will be much easier method to use
              • 4. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
                gareth.roberts
                Comes down to business requirements - how are the business processes implemented, is it position or supervisor based? Don't think the positives/negatives matter that much because it will be the business that makes the call.
                • 5. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
                  Even if Position Hierarchies are deemed necessary, it is most common to still use Supervisor hierarchy in Self Service; you may run into problems using Self Service without a supervisor hierarchy in place.
                  • 6. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
                    By our experiences, organization hierarchy is more easy to managed. I guess the key is your functional requirement, do you have any specific data-access requirement based on the position. If that is yes, you need to use the position hierarchy.

Thanks.

Howin Chan, PHR
                    • 7. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
                      Our organization is position driven as I already mentioned. Positions are Single Incumbent and hence only once person can hold a position at one time. Generally we will need hierarchy for time sheet approval, iRec Vacancy Approval Process, Offer Approval Process and Appraisals.

As for as supervisory hierarchy is concerned we in any case will be giving the supervisor assignment in the person assignment screen. Do we need to do any thing else as well to setup the supervisory hierarchy.
                      • 8. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
                        No, the supervisor hierarchy is constructed simply by specifying supervisors on assignments.

Added complexity can be added to the supervisor hierarchy in a multi assignment environment; you can then specify a 'supevisory assignment' as well but that is rare.

It sounds like you will be invariable be drawn into using Positions. Having a 1-1 relationship between positions and employees is not unusual but be warned it can be extremely time consuming to maintain. I have been to organizations where position maintenance is virtually a full time job for a member of staff.

If you are using Appraisals, definitely make use of the supervisor hierarchy, it is hard enough to implement correctly as it is without making it harder and trying to use the position hierarchy.

You should be able to use the supervisor hierarchy for the OTL and iRec approval processes too but I'm happy to defer to other experts on the forum for those.
                        • 9. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
                          Hi all,
                          Can you tell me what is the difference between supervisor hierarchy and position hierarchy? And it involves in what are all the senarios?

Thanks
                          Partha
                          • 10. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy
                            You can see the Ivan update that supervisor hierarchy is maintained by assigning the supervisor in person's assignment.
                            For position hierarchy you need to maintain a different hierarchy and explicitly go to position hierarchy screen and define it.

In HRMS at lot of places only supervisory hierarchy works like in OTL approvals you can specify the Supervisor directly and for position hierarchy you need to tweak the workflow or write your own formula.

I am working on this for a bit now and realized position hierarchy is used mostly in government organization for their budgeting purposes (Position Control).

Hope it helps
                            • 11. Re: Position Hierarchy Vs Organization Hierarchy

Hi

I am not able to understand, what exactly maintenance of positions is...

Somebody Please give an example of maintaining the positions