4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2008 7:35 AM by 631280 RSS

Restore DB (hot backup) without archived log files

Hi friendz.

I like to do my fist post and thanx to all helping to solve problems or to answer questions on this forum.

My question is backup related. We use Snapshot technology by NetApp to backup out Oracle DBs. To create a backup the DB goes to hot backup mode, a snapshot of the LUN (e.g. drive) is created and the backup mode ends again.

My question is: can I restore the DB when the archived logs are missing? Imagine that I receive a request to restore the data from a backup which is 6 month ago but the related archived log files from that hot backup are not available anymore.

Thx for your replyes.

Tony

Message was edited by:
      user628277
        • 1. Re: Restore DB (hot backup) without archived log files
          It depends on the recovery scenario.You can recover the database without archivelog files if the necessary data is available in your online redo log files to make the dabase synchronised.
          In your case, if you are recovering the database by restoring 6 months old backup and you want to make the database upto date, you must need archivelog files. Otherwise you have to go for incomplete recovery.

If you have everything online and you just want to restore some data from one table which is 6 months old you can do it without archivelog file.

Thanks
          • 2. Re: Restore DB (hot backup) without archived log files
            Thx for the reply.

The process used is as follows:

start backup
            create snapshot of all DB files
            stop backup

During the backup the logs are written and archived. Usually this logfiles are necessary to get a consistent state after a restore/recovery. My question is what to do if I still have the files from that hot backup but all archives logs are missing.

Tony
            • 3. Re: Restore DB (hot backup) without archived log files
              As you made an inconsistent backup, you will still need the old archivelogs.
              If you don't have them anymore, no restore and recovery is possible.

--
              Sybrand Bakker
              Senior Oracle DBA
              • 4. Re: Restore DB (hot backup) without archived log files
                Thx for your hint. I just received a explanation from the support. There is a way to get the data by doin the following (in short):

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

WHEN PROMPTED FOR AN ARCHIVELOG FILE TYPE cancel THEN PRESS ENTER.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

This allows me then to export the data from the DB but the DB itself needs to be rebuild and the data imported to avoid DB corruption.

TonyDBA

Message was edited by:
                TonyDBA