1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2008 6:21 AM by 486393 RSS

TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.

AlokKumar
      Hi All,

We are plannig to buy licances for plsql developer. Are your really thing PL/SQL is much better then TODA ? Your suggestions , comments would be highly appriciated.

hare krishna
      Alok
        • 1. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
          Hi Alok,

Instead of asking 'which is better' the question should (imho) be:
          Which features do I need that the free-of-charge Oracle SQL Developer does not provide?

If your resulting list is > 0 check whether any expensive tools offer this.

Regards,
          Guido
          • 2. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
            Nicolas.Gasparotto
            As Guido said, that depends of your need and usage.
            Define your criteria first, and compare the capabilities of the tools on your side.

Nicolas.
            • 3. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
              AlokKumar
              Thanks both of you. Nicolas, The following features, we are more interested into.

1. pl/sql optimization

2. query tuning

3. code debugging

4. Administrative Tasks.

hare krishna
              Alok
              • 4. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                SQL*Plus is free (at least provided within the database), SQL Developer is free (free downloadable) and provided within the database (11g).
                The both tools could answer to your requirements without any additional fees.

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                  hatmani
                  1. pl/sql optimization

2. query tuning

3. code debugging

4. Administrative Tasks.
                  TOAD cause you can't do Administrative Tasks with PL/SQL Developer.
                  • 6. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                    William Robertson
                    > TOAD cause you can't do Administrative Tasks with PL/SQL Developer.

That rather depends on what admin tasks you need to do. You can certainly create users, roles, directories etc etc in PL/SQL Dev, you can compare schemas (definitions and data), and you can add your own custom functionality and reports. However I agree TOAD probably has more DBA-type features (PL/SQL Dev is weak on partition management for example). Depending on the numbers involved, you might give everyone PL/SQL Dev and keep a couple of copies of TOAD (at around six times the price) for DBAs. On the other hand, the DBAs could probably manage the extra stuff via OEM anyway.

For users who will just be browsing schemas and running reports, SQL Developer could be fine. I wouldn't call it a PL/SQL development tool though.
                    • 7. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                      Sven W.
                      For users who will just be browsing schemas and
                      running reports, SQL Developer could be fine. I
                      wouldn't call it a PL/SQL development tool though.
                      I used SQl Developer in a small DWH project. It takes a while to get into it, but after that it is fine. I would definitly call it a developement tool. My main problem was that you have to do some things differently than how you are used to do it from TOAD or SQL Navigator or PL/SQL Developer.
                      • 8. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                        Pavan Kumar
                        Hi,

I worked on the both the tools, the debugging is quite not good at TOAD.
                        and at some other features which you described.
                        I suggest to go for the PL/SQL Developer. that will be better.

Thanks
                        Pavan Kumar N
                        • 9. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                          BEDE
                          Depends what you need most.
                          TOAD is better for DBA - like activity
                          While PL/SQL Developer (from Allround Automation) is much better for developing packages with debugging and testing code.
                          Oracle SQL Developer has the sole advantage of being free, otherwise it is lower quality than any of the other.
                          Still, to run certain things old SQL*Plus is the best choice (but definitely doesn't help much to debug stored procs).
                          • 10. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                            Mostly i use tools in this order

Oracle sql developer ( I like its debugging features)
                            Oracle Jdeveloper (Its even better than Sql developer)

then if available plsql developer and then toad

by some strange reason i dont like Toad very much
                            • 11. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                              riedelme
                              Each of the tools mentioned in this thread have their advantages and disadvantages. Which one is best is a matter of the features that you need and how well you like the interface.

I have always been impressed with PL/SQL Developer. Aside from having to buy a licence I can't think of any bad things.

TOAD is powerful but has some eccentricities, some of which you should avoid if you buy a license. It currently does not work on my workstation (the version installed does not want to talk to 10g, and going through the IT help group to get it fixed may be more trouble than its worth) but I have used it in the past. I have seen it pause when reading the data dictionary of a large databae for a considerable length of time without being able to do anything else.

I'm currently using Oracle's SQL developer, which is okay but has its own considerations. Its free but insists on displaying RAW values as "(raw)" and since our primary keys are generated raw object ids I have to do manual rawtohex conversions to see the values. There may be a system setting for this that I haven't found yet.
                              • 12. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                                Ganesh Srivatsav
                                I prefer PL/SQL developer to SQL developer as

SQL developer cannot be trusted and it hangs on its wish.

I vote for PL/SQL developer.

Regards,

G.
                                • 13. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                                  venkata_sudheer
                                  hi

better go for pl/sql devoloper then other tools based on your requirements
                                  if u want to test then go for harsh testing like run timeconsuming procedures or the
                                  collect the statistics for query optimization(execute a query and collect the satistics), compare the statistics and choose

cheers :)
                                  • 14. Re: TOAD Vs PL/SQL Developer.
                                    for development work - pl/sql developer.
                                    for admin work - oem and scripts.

TOAD - too much, too complicated, can't be sure what you do and where.
                                    SQL navigator - much improved since inception, but has a long road ahead to become my tool of choice for smooth development. Plus it's bulky

P.S. Having payed 1/4 of million for DB and "saving" on utils for productive work - makes no sense.

Message was edited by:
                                    andrey

Message was edited by:
                                    andrey
                                    1 2 Previous Next