4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2008 7:37 PM by alwu-Oracle

Can we've custom rules that relate to instances & values rather than schema

bjg-Oracle
      Hello,

I want to know if it is possible to create custom rules in Oracle 10g (patched to handle RDF) that refer to instances and property values, rather than schemas (clas, property,etc).

I am trying to have a rule like this:
      ANTICIDENT : all instances of some Class C that have a value X for some property P
      CONSEQUENT: all instances of the same Class C that have a value Y for another property Q.

And, I am expecting that WHEN I query for the ANTICIDENT, using the above rule, I should ALSO get the results for the CONSEQUENT (means I should get both, all instances having a value X for property P as well as all instances having a value Y for property Q)

Appreciate any response.

Thanks
      Bhaskar
        • 1. Re: Can we've custom rules that relate to instances & values rather than sc
          alwu-Oracle
          Your question is a bit fuzzy. Will the following rule satisfy your requirement?

?i rdf:type C
          ?i :P :x
          ==> ?i :Q :y

This rule appears to match your description of ANTICIDENT & Consequent.
          However, it does not satisfy the query description. Not directly.

For the query you described, all you need is the following pattern in SDO_RDF_MATCH
          '(?i rdf:type :C)(?i :Q :y)'

Apparently the above query will return instances of C that have value y for Q.
          It also will return instances of C that have value x for P due to inference.
          • 2. Re: Can we've custom rules that relate to instances & values rather than sc
            bjg-Oracle
            Let me start with a more clear example (May be this would make the explanation clearer).

The purpose behind the rule (I want) is something like:
            If I query for all instaces for ClassA that have the value of the property has_PropertyA as Open, then it should also give me all the instances that have a value for the property has_PropertyB as HIGH.

So, the rule I wrote was:
            insert into mdsys.rdfr_RuleBase1 values
            ( 'Rule1' ,
                        '( ?instance rdf:type :ClassA)
                         (?instance :has_PropertyB ?b) (?b :hasValue ?d)
                         (?instance :has_PropertyA ?a) (?a :hasValue ?c)',

'REGEXP_like(d, ''HIGH'')' ,

'(?instance :has_PropertyA ?a) (?a :hasValue "Open")' ,

sdo_rdf_aliases(...)
                      )
            );
            And, what I want when I query for the instances with PropertyA as Open (using the above rule), is
                   (1) instances with propertyA=Open [This is as asked] 
                        PLUS
                   (2) instances with propertyB=HIGH [This is extra but related info that I need]
            (means an effective propertyA=Open OR propertyB=HIGH)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            But when queried, it gives a list of triples, all of which has propertyA as Open. I think it is due to my rule, and the way Oracle 10g does the inference.
            =======================================================

The way Oracle 10g handles this inference mechanism through Rules is:

Each rule has an IF part and THEN part. It finds all the triple patterns that match the IF pattern and then for each of these, it creates a new triple pattern with the values specified in the THEN part. This is done while creating the RulesIndex for each ‘RuleBase-Model’ Combination. So, it means that it pre computes all the inferred triples (creating them as explained above).

For Example:

Actually, in the model, the instance with Id say ID0098 has propertyB=HIGH and propertyA=NOTOPEN. [This is similar to the actual instance value in the persisted model].
            But, as this pattern matches the IF part of the Rule, it simply creates a new pattern having an instance with Id ID0098, propertyB=HIGH and replacing propertyA value as ‘Open’ (as specified in the THEN part of the Rule).

Hence when we query for the instances with propertyA=‘Open’ using our custom rule base, it simply executes a SQl statement and retrieves all the ‘Open’ propertyA patterns from both the Actual Model and the Inferred (Pre-computed) triples.

Your inputs are welcome. Tell me if I am still unclear. (I had to hide the details/data due to confidentiality).

Thanks
            Bhaskar
            • 3. Re: Can we've custom rules that relate to instances & values rather than sc
              alwu-Oracle
              Hmm, to return instances that has_PropertyA=Open plus has_PropertyB=HIGH, you can simply write two SDO_RDF_MATCH queries and union them together.

select instance from table(sdo_rdf_match('( ?instance rdf:type :ClassA)
              (?instance :has_PropertyB ?b) (?b :hasValue ''HIGH'')' , ..... )
              union all
              select instance from table(sdo_rdf_match('(?instance rdf:type :ClassA)
              '(?instance :has_PropertyA ?a) (?a :hasValue "Open")', ....)
              • 4. Re: Can we've custom rules that relate to instances & values rather than sc
                alwu-Oracle
                Continue from previous post.

If you truly want to use rules, you can use something like

'( ?instance rdf:type :ClassA)
                (?instance :has_PropertyB ?b) (?b :hasValue "HIGH")'
                ==>
                '(?instance :has_PropertyA :PropertyOpen) (:PropertyOpen :hasValue "Open")' ,

NOTE that :PropertyOpen is a URI, not a variable.

Then when you query using pattern '(?instance rdf:type :ClassA)(?instance :has_PropertyA ?a) (?a :hasValue "Open")' , you should be able to get both.