1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2009 11:32 AM by 713318 RSS

Oracle on Os X Intel

user630533
      Oracle Database Client 10.2.0.4 downloadable at:
      http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10204macsoft.html

Oracle Instant Client 10.2.0.4 downloadable at:
      http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/intel_macsoft.html

Documentation for both clients at:
      http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/e12121/toc.htm
      (it states Os X Server inside the doc, but both run on Os X client as well)

Oracle Database Server 10.2.0.x :
      2nd Half 2008

Oracle Database Server 11.x:
      "schedule to be announced" (there is now a short note asking to not log SR to get the date of schedule)

Oscar Armanini
        • 1. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
          I've posted instructions for configuring this on a Mac (Leopard) on my blog here:

http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/how-to-configure-mac-os-x-as-an-oracle-client/
          • 2. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
            What about Oracle Server? ... 2nd half 2008 nearly ending!
            • 3. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
              Well, it was Q4CY2008 for a while, but I just checked the Certification Matrix and now it is Q1CY2009,... :-(

That is for 10gR2, no schedule yet for 11.
              • 4. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                lets guess ... on march it changed to Q3/2009 ... :-(

Edited by: fiebelko on 09.11.2008 10:32
                • 5. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                  Rumburak
                  I don't understand this. Oracle invests so much money in products nobody needs. Example: I guess there are only 10-100 customers who will buy the new HP/Oracle-Database-Engine. I guess there are only 10-100 customers using the new Oracle VM ... and so on...

But I think there are a lot of companies interested in Oracle on Mac.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                    On the MIX site I already stated that I will buy a license and will even commit to it by siging up for it somewhere if I have to. The only thing that is keeping me from removing parallels from my MBP is the Oracle database. Maybe Oralce can open up such a sign-up list to commit paying customers. When the list is full enough they'll know that they will at least have the ROI for the porting/testing and documentation effort. The rest should be gravy for them. How much more insurance do they need?

Edited by: Martin Schouten on Jan 8, 2009 4:05 PM
                    • 7. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                      Rumburak
                      Now we have march. In 29 days Q1/2009 is over. Will Oracle deliver a new release for the Mac? I don't think so.
                      • 8. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                        29 days and counting... I'm hoping, hoping, hoping....
                        • 9. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                          CInglez
                          I really don't think that even if Oracle releases a OS X version of its database server, it will be a good option, since we cannot trust it will be supported in the long run.

Oracle has already proved that its commitment to OS X is not reliable.

I am a Mac user, but honestly, I prefer to rely on a Linux server to run the database. Use the macs on the client side.

It seems OS X is just a joke to Oracle. Too bad.
                          • 10. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                            Rumburak
                            I agree, but then they should close the Apple Technology Corner/Forum.
                            • 11. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                              Rumburak wrote:
                              And certainly not write Q1CY2009 in the certification matrix...
                              • 12. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                                Rumburak wrote:
                                There's more to Oracle than the database nowadays. But Oracle is not getting much help from Apple who still hasn't released JDK 1.6 (for example) for the Mac Intel yet. So it's basically two companies not really helping each other.
                                And for all those waiting for a release of Oracle DB: complain to your account manager at Oracle... best thing you can do, srsly!
                                • 13. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                                  Rumburak
                                  There's more to Oracle than the database nowadays. But Oracle is not getting much help from Apple who still hasn't released JDK 1.6 (for example) for the Mac Intel yet. So it's basically two companies not really helping each other.
                                  I would understand it, when Apple and Oracle were competing companies. But Larry and Steve are best friends!

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/06/11.12.shtml
                                  • 14. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                                    CInglez
                                    JDK 1.6 for Intel Macs is available.

java version "1.6.0_07"
                                    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06-153)
                                    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_07-b06-57, mixed mode)
                                    1 2 Previous Next