1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2009 11:32 AM by 713318 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
        Getting excited!

Only 15 days to go...
        • 16. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
          CInglez
          Holding my breath.....
          • 17. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
            Rumburak
            OK, Q1CY2009 is over. I think that was it for Oracle on OS X in this century.
            • 18. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
              Well, we still have about 12 hours to go...
              • 19. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                CInglez
                Let's be happy it's possible to use Macs on the client side. I think Oracle really doesn't take Mac servers seriously. Too bad. It would be a great combination. Specially to small to mid-sized companies.
                • 20. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                  jpiwowar
                  CInglez wrote:
                  Let's be happy it's possible to use Macs on the client side. I think Oracle really doesn't take Mac servers seriously. Too bad. It would be a great combination. Specially to small to mid-sized companies.
                  About that...does anyone have a reasonably recent reference that breaks down install base for OS X server vs OS deployments like Solaris, AIX, HPUX, etc? So far, I've been experiencing complete Google failure trying to dig up that sort of info. I just haven't been able to swallow the claims implied by some posters in this forum that Oracle is leaving a licensing opportunity on the table by not pursuing an OS X server port more diligently.

Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious.

Regards,

John P.
                  • 21. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                    http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10204macsoft_x86-64.html
                    • 22. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                      jpiwowar
                      Woohoo! ;-)
                      • 23. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                        Real or a dream?
                        ProductName: Mac OS X Server
                        ProductVersion: 10.5.4
                        BuildVersion: 9E17
                        Note:
                        Only the versions listed in the previous table are supported. Do not install the software on other versions of Apple Mac OS X.
                        Its real ... no versions later than 10.5.4 ... Does anyone have a server on 10.5.4 and not upgraded?
                        • 24. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                          Ronald Rood
                          Even worse,
                          check the release notes <http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/relnotes.102/b25285/toc.htm>
                          2 Unsupported Products

The following products are not supported on Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2)

* Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC)
                          * Oracle Clusterware
                          * Automatic Storage Management (ASM)
                          * Network File System (NFS)
                          * Network-attached Storage (NAS)
                          * Raw devices
                          * Oracle Application Express (formerly known as Oracle HTML DB)
                          * Oracle HTTP Server
                          * Oracle Workflow
                          * Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control
                          * Oracle Management Agent
                          * Pro*Fortran
                          * Pro*COBOL
                          * iSQL*Plus
                          * Oracle Ultra Search

The list of supported products would a shorter I guess ....
                          I hope this improves with the next update.

Ronald
                          --
                          http://ronr.blogspot.com
                          • 25. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                            A big thank you to Oracle!!! I'm downloading at the moment. If it runs I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy a licence.
                            • 26. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                              CInglez
                              Is it a joke or something? Too long to release a handicapped version for OS X? It would be nicer if Oracle didn't promise anything and just release an express version for development purposes. No one can rely for a production environment on something like this.
                              • 27. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                                Thank you!!

Is it too early to start asking about time lines for 11g? Computed columns and Oracle Change Notification at the query level would be very nice.

-Mark
                                • 28. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                                  Ronald Rood
                                  Maybe a check of the contents of the oracle home pages explain it all.
                                  see http://oracle.com => oracle buys sun.

Ronald
                                  http://ronr.nl
                                  • 29. Re: Oracle on Os X Intel
                                    Oracle depends on Java 1.4 not 1.6. There is absolutely not reason for Oracle not to support OS X other than the fact that they need to pay ADC for the developers and the fact that Oracle seems to not care about OS X.

Here are a couple of things that you might have to do by hand if you choose to install Oracle on OS X (especially if you are running 10.6).

#1 Create a 1.4.2 link in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ pointing to CurrentJVM ( in the case of OS X 10.6 this is Java 1.6 and it is a 64 bit jvm by default )

#2 edit install/oraparam.ini file ( part of the installation package )
                                    find JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS and add -d32
                                    This is needed because the installation application for Oracle is built as a 32bit java application and on recent versions of OS X there is a push towards a 64 bit JVM. If you use Java 1.6 I believe that the default JVM is 64 bit. On OS X 10.6 changing the order of 32bit and 64 bit in Java Preference has no effect on the JVM type.

There seem to be some more problems with the installation process but I have no time at the moment to hack the scripts.
                                    One thing that I saw is that the listener does not get created.

Edited by: user6677597 on Jul 24, 2009 8:51 AM

Edited by: user6677597 on Jul 24, 2009 9:30 AM
                                    1 2 Previous Next