This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2010 8:10 AM by rajeysh RSS

Oracle 9i on RHEL 5

641979 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Can we install oracle 9i on RHEL 5? and how?
  • 1. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    IvanKartik Oracle ACE
    If you want to use this combination in production then don't do that as Oracle 9i is not supported on RHEL 5 (Link to certification matrices: http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html ). So if you want to use Oracle 9i in production then use RHEL/OEL 4 instead.

If you are just asking whether it is possible to install Oracle 9i (R2) on RHEL5 then answer is yes, it is possible but with couple of workarounds.
  • 2. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    641979 Newbie
    Thankx for reply.
    I am working on oracle 9i with RHEL 3 and would like to know the steps to install on RHEL 5.
  • 3. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    19426 Guru
    Is this just for fun or for production? If the latter is true either upgrade your database to (at least) 10gR2 and run on RHEL 5 OR stay on 9i and don't skip RHEL 4.

Werner
  • 4. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    Madrid Oracle ACE
    Ivan,

Do you have a procedure to perform the install of 9iR2 on RHEL5? I am perfectly aware it is not certified, but I would like to test it.

Regards.
  • 5. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    IvanKartik Oracle ACE
    Of course ;-)
    Here we go (skipped basic steps as user creation, standard kernel params and limits settings):

1. Check for required packages:
    rpm -q compat-db compat-gcc-34 compat-gcc-34-c++ compat-libgcc-296 compat-libstdc++-296 compat-libstdc++-33 gcc gcc-c++ glibc glibc-common glibc-devel glibc-headers libgcc make libXp
    2. Set environment
    ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
    ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/920
    ORACLE_SID=ORCL
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
    PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin

export ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_SID LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    2. Workaround #1
    su -
    # cd /usr/lib
    # ln -s libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
    3. Download and Install:
    http://oss.oracle.com/projects/compat-oracle/dist/files/RedHat/compat-libcwait-2.1-1.i386.rpm
    http://oss.oracle.com/projects/compat-oracle/dist/files/RedHat/compat-oracle-rhel4-1.0-5.i386.rpm
    rpm -ivh compat-libcwait-2.1-1.i386.rpm
    rpm -ivh compat-oracle-rhel4-1.0-5.i386.rpm --nodeps
    4. Workaround #2
    su -
    # cd /usr/bin
    # ln -s gcc34 gcc32
    5. runInstaller

Hope that helps. In case of any problem feel free to contact me.

Message was edited by:
    Ivan Kartik

Oops almost forgot...

4.5. Workaround #3
    su -
    # cd /usr/lib
    # ln -s libgdbm.so.2.0.0 libdb.so.2
    7. When NETCA/DBCA will fail - Workaround #4
    I suggest to apply 9.2.0.8 patchset before.
    cd $ORACLE_HOME
    rm JRE
    ln -s $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.3.1 JRE
    cd JRE/bin
    ln -s java jre
    cd i386/native_threads/
    ln -s java jre
  • 6. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    Madrid Oracle ACE
    Thank you Ivan, I'll try it and I will let you know.

Regards. :)
  • 7. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    alydan Newbie
    Ivan,

Your notes were terrific I have Oracle9i running on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 using them. I would like to add two additional things:

- In the initial 9204 install, I was getting a "permission denied" when executing runInstaller. Per Metalink, running the command "chmod -R +x *" from the install directory corrected the permissions issue for me.
    - The 9208 patch installer does not recognize Enterprise Linux 5 as a supported version. To resolve this issue, I modified the file oraparam.ini in the install directory, as follows (adding the redhat-5 at the end)

Linux=SuSE-7,redhat-2.1AS,redhat-2.1,UnitedLinux-1.0,redhat-3,redhat-4,SuSE-8,SuSE-9,redhat-5

Thanks again.
  • 8. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    IvanKartik Oracle ACE
    Your notes were terrific I have Oracle9i running on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 using them. I would like to add two additional things:
    Notes were primarily addresed to Madrid who is very experienced person (AFAIK) so he has knowledge of all important installation steps. So I skipped the "jewellery" and described the most important steps.
    In the initial 9204 install, I was getting a "permission denied" when executing runInstaller. Per Metalink, running the command "chmod -R +x *" from the install directory corrected the permissions issue for me.
    Never facing to this. Maybe it is because I'm using (and setting) "umask 0022" for installaton (including files extracting).
    - The 9208 patch installer does not recognize Enterprise Linux 5 as a supported version. To resolve this issue, I modified the file oraparam.ini in the install directory, as follows (adding the redhat-5 at the end) Linux=SuSE-7,redhat-2.1AS,redhat-2.1,UnitedLinux-1.0,redhat-3,redhat-4,SuSE-8,SuSE-9,redhat-5
    Yes, this is the one of "jewellery" steps that I skipped just like creation of user, group, kernel settings and system limits.

Anyway let me thank you for steps update.
  • 9. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    christophel Newbie
    Thanks a lot Ivan, it worked very good for me under CentOS 5.

Christophe
  • 10. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    IvanKartik Oracle ACE
    You're welcome :-)
  • 11. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    649882 Newbie
    Hi,

I am tryiing to install Oracle 9.i in RHEL5. I follow this procedure but I didn't succeed to make it work.

First problem I have is when installing compat-libcwait-2.1-1.i386.rpm package. After installing it I receive for every linux command following error:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/lib/libcwait.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded: ignored.

I could not run runinstaller because this error.

I uninstall this package and tried again to run the installation but installation hang at 18% when coppying naeet.o (same error I received before starting with all this procedure)

Did you have any idea how I could go on?

Br, Virginia
  • 12. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    672189 Newbie
    Virginia,

I'm having EXACTLY the same issues you were. Did you ever find a resolution to get 9i installed on RHEL5?
  • 13. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    436088 Newbie
    Thanks, worked liked a charm for me.

rm
  • 14. Re: Oracle 9i on RHEL 5
    682288 Newbie
    Hi

I am trying to install oracle 9 on OEL5 Update 2. after configuring the environment settings, i am getting the following error while executing basic commands in oracle user.

*[oracle@oracleworld ~]$ ls*
    ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Can anyone helpme out.

Thanks
    Shanker
1 2 Previous Next