1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2008 6:01 PM by 221488 RSS

New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application

Can someone guide me in installing Summit appl. and a runtime env. configuration. I am using 10g Dev. and 10g DB.

I have put the complete summit folder (got it from OTN) in C:/ and was successful in importing the summit data from the command line.

the problems i am facing are:

*Should i directly point to the summit folder in the c:/ while entering values for forms_path in the registry?
      *next point in the readme file says

compile the application. The file gen.bat will generate files under microsoft windows. What application should I compile and how?

Runtime environment configuration

#
      # Summit Application
      #
      Alias /summit/ "C:\summit/"

*this has to be added to the HTTPD.CONF file in Apache.
      But i have found this file in my pc at this loc: (C:\DevSuiteHome_1\perl\site\5.6.1\lib\Apache) Is this the same file?

[summit]
      IE=JInitiator
      archive_jini=f60all_jinit.jar,/summit/RoundedButton.class
      userid=summit/summit@<connect_string>
      form=customers
      pageTitle=Summit
      splashScreen=no
      lookAndFeel=oracle
      separateFrame=false
      width=994
      height=582
      serverapp=/summit/summit_reg
      envFile=summit.env

the above is to be added to the FORMSWEB.CFG file, which i found. can i just change the connect_string and add it at the bottom of the file that i view in notepad. or do i have to fit it in somewhere in between the existing code in the file.

PLEASE HELP!!
        • 1. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle
          Well, I haven't seen the Summit demo in a long time, but regardless running any Forms application will require the same basic setup.

Because you did not specify which Forms version you are using, I will assume you are using the latest 10.1.2.x. If you are not using this version, some of my feedback may not be clear.

1. For the purpose of runtime (the form is in a browser) FORMS_PATH must be set in default.env and not the Windows Registry. In your case, you probably created a "summit.env" for the demo. In this case FORMS_PATH goes here. This file should be located in \forms\server You should use default.env as a template to show which other parameters are needed.

2. Using the Forms compiler (frmcmp.exe) you must generate "X" files from your source code files (.FMB, .MMB, .PLL). This will result in .FMX, .MMX, and .PLX files. These "X" files must be stored in the directory set in FORMS_PATH (in default.env - summit.env for the demo)

3. Creating an Apache Alias is not necessary unless you plan to store your jar files in that directory. It is recommended that you store your jar and/or class files in the Forms \java directory just to avoid making the Apache change and to avoid other confusion later.

4. Assuming you are using 10.1.2, the formsweb.cfg entries you made are incorrect and would only work in older versions. Here is a corrected look at your update:

[summit]
          archive_jini=frmall_jinit.jar,/summit/RoundedButton.class
          userid=summit/summit@ORCL
          form=customers
          pageTitle=Summit
          splashScreen=no
          lookAndFeel=oracle
          separateFrame=false
          width=994
          height=582
          envFile=summit.env

Notice that I set the Connect String to ORCL. You would need to set this to your database alias. You can also leave the userid value empty. This would cause the logon dialog to be displayed when you try to start the app.

Also, your serverApp value is also odd. It suggests that you have either created your own Registry.dat file or have made a custom reference in the existing Registry.dat. ????
          • 2. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
            I am using forms of the version you mentioned.

Now i must tell you, I have just finished training of forms in a oracle certified institute where the systems were set and we had to practice examples from the book.

I have created my own database on my laptop to practice at home, the same examples that are there in the book (The summit aaplciation)

So first i downloaded the 10g database and named it <ORCL>
            Then i downloaded the Oracle developer suite (v.10.1.2.0.2) which has Forms.

Now when i started to practice, i observed that there are no tables from the summit schema, so i downloaded the summit.zip file from the OTN.

then i unzipped the file and put the contents in a folder named summit in c:/.

then i opened the readme file which had the following contents

Setup the Development Environment

1.Expand the ZIP file. This document uses C:\summit.

2.Create a user called SUMMIT in your database:

SQL> connect system/manager
            SQL> create user summit identified by summit;
            SQL> grant resource, connect to summit;

3.From the command line, import the Summit data:

imp userid=summit/summit@<connect_string> file=summit.dmp full=y

4.Put C:\summit in the FORMS60_PATH. For Windows, this is often set in the Registry.

5.Compile the application. The file GEN.BAT will generate the files under Microsoft Windows.

Setup the Runtime Environment

1.Add the following virtual directory to your web server configuration files. This example is for Apache and can be placed in HTTPD.CONF.

#
            # Summit Application
            #
            Alias /summit/ "C:\summit/"

2.If you are using Forms 6.0.8.17 (patchset 8) or above, you can simply add the following to your FORMSWEB.CFG file, and go to step 6. Otherwise go to step 3.

[summit]
            IE=JInitiator
            archive_jini=f60all_jinit.jar,/summit/RoundedButton.class
            userid=summit/summit@<connect_string>
            form=customers
            pageTitle=Summit
            splashScreen=no
            lookAndFeel=oracle
            separateFrame=false
            width=994
            height=582
            envFile=summit.env

3.Don't forget to replace <connect_string> with your connect string.

Copy C:\summit\summit.env to the same location as your FORMSWEB.CFG file.

Add /summit/RoundedButton.class to your archive parameter.

4.Modify your registry file so that Forms can find the icons for the Summit application:

default.icons.iconpath=/summit/web/

5.Add C:\summit to your FORMS60_PATH.

6.Run the Form!

=========================

(I was only successful till point 3 of setup of development environment, don't know what to do with point 4 & 5)
            I am sorry as i am new to database and applications, so i could only understand a part of what you said.
            I have not created any summit.env file as it is already there in the folder i downloaded.

I have seen the default.env file in C:\DevSuiteHome_1\forms\server and that's all i could understand. i still don't know if i should just copy the summit.env file to this folder, or copy the contents of summit.env to the default.env file.

I have also understood that i can skip point 1 in setup of Runtime environment, but the string that you commented on was from the readme file, as i did not know in which part of the formsweb.conf file should i copy that thread. (i had changed the connect_string to ORCL which is my batabase Alias)

as the formsweb.conf file has a lot of coding, i did not know which part of it should i fit in the string from the readmefile as it does not mention it. I have also understood the changes you have made to the string as the string in the readmefile is for forms version six.

PLEASE GUIDE FURTHER.
            • 3. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
              Michael Ferrante-Oracle
              The first thing you must realize is that this Demo is very old and was created for a very old Forms version (6.0.x). At least three new releases have come out since this demo was created.

The documentation for the demo is specific to that old version. Every reference to "60" should be removed. For example a reference to FORMS60_PATH has now been changed to FORMS_PATH. This applies to ALL variables.

The same applies to file names. For example f60all.jar is now frmall.jar. Same is true for f60all_jinit.jar, which is now frmall_jinit.jar.

So, as you can see copying the README word for word is going to cause you problems.

Here is an overview of what you likely need to do based on your last update:

1. Verify that you successfully imported the database objects related to the demo. Login as summit and see if the tables and data actually exist. If not, this should be corrected first.

2. Whether you use default.env or summit.env is entirely up to you. If you choose to use default.env, the only thing I can think of that would need to be changed is the FORMS_PATH. Add the path to where your FMX, MMX, and PLX files will be located.

If you choose to use summit.env, copy the file to ..\forms\server (this is the same directory where you will find default.env). Open this file in a text editor. You will need to change all of the "60" references like I previously mentioned. You will likely also need to change the value of ORACLE_HOME as well as many others. This is why using the existing default.env would probably be easier.

If you carefully read the contents of summit.env, you should be able to understand what needs to be changed. I'm sure many of the directories noted in the file won't even exist. You need to set them to the equivalent on your system.

3. If you plan to use a "gen.bat" file to compile the application, you will likely need to open it in a text editor first. Verify that FORMS_PATH, ORACLE_HOME, PATH and all other variables are correctly set.

4. If you are using Developer Suite there is no Apache, so setting the Alias is a little different. However, as previously mentioned, this is unnecessary anyway IF you copy the demos CLASS and JAR files to the ..\forms\java directory. You will then not use the Alias reference in your ARCHIVE and ARCHIVE_JINI entries. For example simply do this:

archive_jini=frmall_jinit.jar,RoundedButton.class
              archive=frmall_jinit.jar,RoundedButton.class

5. As mentioned, your formsweb.cfg entries will look like this and should be at the bottom of the file below the existing entries:

[summit]
              form=customers
              pageTitle=Summit
              splashScreen=no
              lookAndFeel=oracle
              separateFrame=false
              width=994
              height=582
              serverApp=summit_reg
              envFile=summit.env

The reference to serverApp is for access to the .dat file, which I will assume you have in your C:\summit directory. Again, remove the Alias reference and copy the file within the Oracle Home where the original is found. If the demo .dat file is named "Registry.dat", rename the original so you can revert back to it later.

This file should be stored in:...\forms\java\oracle\forms\registry

If you really want to create the Alias and follow the instructions as closely as possible, you will find that the Alias should be configured in the following:

...\j2ee\DevSuite\application-deployments\forms\formsweb\orion-web.xml

Use the existing entries as an example. Your entry will look something like this:

<virtual-directory virtual-path="/summit" real-path="C:\summit" />

If you are new to all of this, I would recommend that you flip through some of the documentation. Starting with a demo before understanding how the product works is probably not the best approach. Here are some references to useful documentation. References to additional documentation can be found in link on these pages. Be aware that most documentation which was created for Forms 9.0.4 will still apply to 10.1.2.

Forms 10.1.2 Tech Listing
              http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/techlisting10gR2.html

Forms 9.0.4 Tech Listing
              http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/techlisting10g.html

Forms 10.1.2 Online Help (same as Help found in Builder)
              http://www.oracle.com/webapps/online-help/forms/10g/

Forms 10.1.2 Deployment Guide
              http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19375_07/doc/frs/forms/B14032_03/toc.htm
              • 4. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                ok,
                now i understand things much better,

1.and yes the schema's have been added, as i checked it up in the forms builder by logging in using summit/summit@orcl.

2.I will modify the file in the default.env file. the forms_path here is (FORMS_PATH=C:\DevSuiteHome_1\forms)
                and after having extracted the mmx, fmx, and plx files from the summit folder, can i add these files to the above reference.so that i don't even have to change the forms_path in the default.env file. And another reason that i fear is that i use other schemas from scott/tiger too, which i think will be in the forms_path mentioned above. Do you think that will be ok?

3.why do i need to use a gen.bat file? this file just let's me select two options. either i can run it or i can cancel it. can't get to open the file in a notepad.

4.I found a classfile called the roundedbutton file from the summit.zip folder,but no jar files.Should i just add this one to the folder you mentioned i.e. ..\forms\java directory

what do i do with the strings you mentioned above?

5. I do have a dat file called summit_reg, and in
                \forms\java\oracle\forms\registry i have a file called registry, what's a demo.dat (do u mean summit_reg)

so, should i have both the summit_reg.dat and registry.dat in the above mentioned folder?

What does an alias do?

I appreciate your time and patience with me.
                • 5. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                  Michael Ferrante-Oracle
                  o The FORMS_PATH can include many directory references. So, you do not need to put your forms in the \forms directory. Simply add your directory to the end of the list (each separated by a semi-colon). For example:

FORMS_PATH=C:\DevSuiteHome_1\forms;C:\summit

The above assumes that your FMX, MMX, PLX files are in C:\summit. If they are in a sub-directory, use that directory.

o Because I don't have the demo, I don't know what gen.bat does. But I will assume that it is configured to compile all the files related to the Summit app. You don't need to use it if you know how to compile the files correctly on your own.

I don't know what you mean by "can't get to open the file in a notepad", but I will assume you mean that you opened it and it does not appear to be formatted correctly. If true, open the file in Word Pad or other third party text editor. If you use Word Pad, do NOT add any formatting (i.e. bold, colors, etc). This file must remain a plain text file.

o You may not have any jar files. Again, I don't have the demo so I don't know what it includes. The CLASS file can be placed in the \forms\java directory.

These are the corrected values for the formsweb.cfg file if you move the CLASS files to the \forms\java directory.

o Regarding the dat file, place this file in :...\forms\java\oracle\forms\registry

o A web server (listener) Alias is as the name implies. It is an alternative reference which points to a physical directory. In web terms, an Alias is a "Virtual Path". So, for example in this URL:

http://someserver.com/forms/summit/index.htm

http://someserver.com - This is the server hosting the content

forms/summit - This is the Virtual Path to the content. Behind the scenes it points to a physical location on the server.

index.htm - This is the content being requested. (This is just an example)

This is a very simplified explaination, so if you want more detail, consider Google.com
                  • 6. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                    Great. Now the read me file makes so much sense.

I got Summit in the database, i can view the tables from the forms builder and everything looks good. I have removed all the mention of forms60, from the default.env file and added c:\summit to the forms_path here (turns out this is much easier then following the changes to be made if i have to use the summit.env file)

Now, i have also understood that i need to convert all the fmb, mmb and plb files to fmx, mmx and plx files and store them in the c:\summit folder. For doing this i need to compile these forms from the forms compiler or use the gen.bat file, which will do the compiling. This finishes the point 5. of set up of development environment. Right?

I am not able to use my forms compiler as it throws up an errer 'ORA 28547, connection to server failed, probable net8 admin error. I am logging in as system/sys123@orcl.
                    This works everytime i use forms builder. I had not used the compiler yet as i'm still trying to get all this right.

I have also understood the definitions of alias and think i will not touch there yet. Got the setup of runtime clear, please tell me if this is correct.

1. change values in the formsweb.config to add roundbuttonclass after a semicolon.
                    2. Add the other bigger string at the end of the formsweb.config file.
                    3. copy the class file to forms/java/oracle/form/ as you mentioned
                    4. copy the .dat file to forms/registry as you mentioned too.

am i missing something?
                    I got the gen file to open up in a notepad finally, and turns out it infact is to compile, it asks to change the connect string to summit/summit@orcl and run gen the same in command line. after i did that, it moved from commmand prompt to the forms compiler, tried the compiler some 8-10 times and ended up saying connection to the server failed.

the same message when i tried to manually compile the files using the compiler.

one more thing i wanted to ask you, since i am in my very basic exercies still, and bfo i used summit, i worked a lil on scott/tiger id.
                    I was running reports from the forms builder to the browser right, and when i tried creating a form from the summit schema table, infact two tables, i connected the two tables i.e. customers and orders and then i ran the form, it displayed in the browser and i could execute query.

so why question is, if this report worked, doesn't that mean the runtime is probably configured, even though i don't know how. or is this because the form i am working on is a very basic one and the runtime configurations that you are helping me through are for for advanced lessons.

thanks a lot for being so patient with me.
                    • 7. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                      Michael Ferrante-Oracle
                      If you are attempting to run the compiler from a command line (DOS) it will likely fail unless you first set some of the needed variables. I would recommend that you use the GUI instead.

Start > Oracle Developer Suite > Forms Developer > Forms Compiler

Regarding the list of steps you have taken, you said that you added the RoundButton.class after a semicolon. This is incorrect. Use a comma. All jar (or class) entries in formsweb.cfg are separated by a comma. Semi-colon is only used in default.env to separate path entries.

You also mention running a report from the Forms Builder. Since this isn't possible, I will assume you mean that you ran a report from the Reports Builder. Understand that although there is some overlap in the configuration, there is also quite a bit that does not overlap. So, the fact that Reports works and Forms may not doesn't really say much.

I am wondering if, before messing with this or any demo, whether or not your tried to simply run the pre-seeded form which is included as part of the installation. This really should be done before doing anything because if this doesn't work then nothing going forward is likely to work. To run the pre-seeded form all that is necessary is that you start OC4J and open a browser. Use the following URL:

http://machineName:port/forms/frmservlet

Hopefully you already know your machineName, if not just use localhost. The port can be determined by looking in the portlist.ini which is found in the \install directory of the Developer Suite home. Use the value associated with "Oracle Developer Suite HTTP port"

Besides proving that the basic environment is working ok, this will also give you a chance to see how some of this works.
                      • 8. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                        I got most of the steps from the readme file that came with the summit.zip, and i have understood almost all of it, thanks to you.

after setting up the summit application, there is a test that has to be performed to check if the procedures described in the readme file have been performed right.

Now, i have done most of what you have said, with the corrections, i found out that the gen.bat file won't work because when i tried to compile the application the last time, i had not started the oc4j instance, which you wrote and so i remembered, and i went back.

1.I had changed the variables in the gen.bat file before i ran it in the command prompt, and i made sure i started the instance too. finally all the files composed to fmx's and plx's in the summit directory.

2. I then went on and changed the values in the default.env with a semicolon in the forms_path and added the c:\summit folder to the path.

3. I have gone ahead and changed the values in formsweb.config file too. Just that taking from the strings that you mentioned, (where i had to add the RoundedButton.class seperated with a 'comma') i found this in the file...

1st string

(this string was the same that you had mentioned it would be like, except for that i replaced the f60all to frmall and added the RoundedButton.class)

2nd string

i found this for the second string
                        archive=frmall.jar, RoundedButton.class (added the RoundedButton.Class with a comma)
                        what you said i'd probably find was this...archive=frmall_jinit.jar,RoundedButton.class

is this ok, or should i change the string to what you mentioned. (the reason why i had not changed, is because i have been executing forms builder queries from the browser...and yes, i had my browser configured on http://ravid.qtcdoha.com:8889/forms/frmservlet, and it's been working). I have not tried Oracle Reports yet)

I even added the long string at the end of formsweb.config file. a part of the end already looked like this and i added what you asked me to...i just hope the syntax is correct and i did not have to add any comma's or semicolon's here...

this is how it looks now...

Example Named Configuration Section
                        # Example 3: configuration running the Forms ListenerServlet in debug mode
                        # (debug messages will be written to the servlet engine's log file).
                        [debug]
                        serverURL=/forms/lservlet/debug

# Sample configuration for deploying WebUtil. Note that WebUtil is shipped with
                        # DS but not AS and is also available for download from OTN.
                        [webutil]
                        WebUtilArchive=frmwebutil.jar,jacob.jar
                        WebUtilLogging=off
                        WebUtilLoggingDetail=normal
                        WebUtilErrorMode=Alert
                        WebUtilDispatchMonitorInterval=5
                        WebUtilTrustInternal=true
                        WebUtilMaxTransferSize=16384
                        baseHTMLjinitiator=webutiljini.htm
                        baseHTMLjpi=webutiljpi.htm
                        archive_jini=frmall_jinit.jar
                        archive=frmall.jar
                        lookAndFeel=oracle

[summit]
                        form=customers
                        pageTitle=Summit
                        splashScreen=no
                        lookAndFeel=oracle
                        separateFrame=false
                        width=994
                        height=582
                        envFile=summit.env

please tell me if this is right. Now this is saved.

I added the RoundedButton.class file in the .....forms/java folder where i found some .jar files too.

Then i have added the summit_reg in this location.....
                        C:\DevSuiteHome_1\forms\java\oracle\forms\registry
                        the default folder already there was registry.dat, so i did not have to change any names.

Now the steps to check if the procedures went well asks to first open the customers.fmx file. I see that file has been compiled after i ran the gen.bat from the command prompt.
                        but the file does not open in forms builder for me to be able to proceed with the steps in the procedural check.
                        Gives an error FRM-10043: Cannot open file

Tried to open a PLX file too from the Forms builder.
                        File>open>picklist.plx
                        This gives an error message PDE-POL010 Attempted to open generated library.And did not open the file.

HELP PLEASE!
                        • 9. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                          I then tried creating the fmx file manually as You had suggested, from programs>devsuite>forms developer> forms compiler.

i specified the customer.fmb file name from the c:\summit folder, put the id, password and database name as summit/summit@orcl

and it gave me the following long error and created the customers.fmx file. And i tried to open this file again in the forms builder, it did not open.

FRM-18108: Failed to load the following objects.

Source Module:stndrd20.olb
                          Source Object: STD_BUTTON_ICONIC_SMALL
                          Source Object: STD_TOOLTIP
                          Compiling procedure COLLAPSE_ALL...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling procedure EXPAND_ALL...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling procedure REFRESH_TREE_COUNTRY...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling procedure REFRESH_TREE_SALESREP...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling procedure CHECK_PACKAGE_FAILURE...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling procedure QUERY_MASTER_DETAILS...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling procedure CLEAR_ALL_MASTER_DETAILS...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling PRE-FORM trigger on form...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-WINDOW-CLOSED trigger on form...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger on form...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling KEY-EXIT trigger on form...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling ON-CLEAR-DETAILS trigger on form...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling ON-ERROR trigger on form...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PROMPT_CUSTNAME item in CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PROMPT_PHONE item in CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PROMPT_SALES_NAME item in CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on SALES_LOV_BUTTON item in CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on EXIT item in CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-LIST-CHANGED trigger on VIEW item in NAV_CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PB_EXPAND item in NAV_CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PB_COLLAPSE item in NAV_CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PB_EXPANDALL item in NAV_CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PB_COLLAPSEALL item in NAV_CONTROL data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-TREE-NODE-SELECTED trigger on NAVIGATOR data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-TREE-NODE-ACTIVATED trigger on TREE_CUST item in NAVIGATOR data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling ON-POPULATE-DETAILS trigger on S_CUSTOMER1 data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling ON-CHECK-DELETE-MASTER trigger on S_CUSTOMER1 data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling POST-QUERY trigger on S_CUSTOMER1 data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling POST-QUERY trigger on S_CUSTOMER data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-MOUSE-DOUBLECLICK trigger on COMMENTS item in S_CUSTOMER data block...
                          No compilation errors.

Created form file C:\Documents and Settings\ravid\Desktop\summit\customers.fmx

what should i do now?
                          • 10. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                            Michael Ferrante-Oracle
                            First, it is important to understand that the Builder and Runtime use different methods of identifying necessary environment settings. The Builder (and compiler) read environment settings from the system and Registry. This means that if you attempt to open a form (FMB) in the Builder and that form has a dependency on a PLL or OLB, these files must be found in the FORMS_PATH which is set in the Registry. Specifically in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle\KEY_<YOUR HOME NAME>

At runtime (when the form is displayed in a browser), the dependencies are found by searching FORMS_PATH which is in default.env.

Second, any form which has dependencies must have the dependant files compiled first. Meaning that if your form has an attached library (PLL), the PLL must be compiled and generated into a PLX before opening the form.

So, this means that in most cases you would have to compile in this order:

1. PLL to PLX
                            2. MMB to MMX
                            3. FMB to FMX

The resulting "X" files and OLB files should be located in a directory listed in FORMS_PATH

Regarding your formsweb.cfg entry, as I mentioned before, if you put your jar and class files in \forms\java then you will need to remove the virtual path /summit/ from your ARCHIVE entries. If you choose to leave the class file in the summit directory they you will need to create the virtual paths which we also previously discussed.

So, assuming you copied the class file to \forms\java then this entry would be wrong:

Change it to:

One last tip before I go :-)

..... it is recommended that you not store your source code (FMB, MMB, PLL, OLB) or "X" files in a directory which has a name that contains blank spaces or special characters. This also applies to the file names. Do not use blank spaces in the files names as this will cause problems.
                            • 11. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                              Hi,

thanks for all the information.

I have located the forms_path in the registry under the string you mentioned. the values i have found there are
                              C:\DevSuiteHome_1\cgenf61\admin;C:\DevSuiteHome_1\forms, (i have added a c:/ with a semicolon to the mentioned string)

I tried to run the customers.fmb file again in the forms compliler, after i started the instance, and after the above changes. It gave me an error again, the end of the error looks like this...

################################

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PB_EXPANDALL item in NAV_CONTROL data block...
                              No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger on PB_COLLAPSEALL item in NAV_CONTROL data block...
                              No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-TREE-NODE-SELECTED trigger on NAVIGATOR data block...
                              No compilation errors.

Compiling WHEN-TREE-NODE-ACTIVATED trigger on TREE_CUST item in NAVIGATOR data block...
                              Compilation error on WHEN-TREE-NODE-ACTIVATED trigger on TREE_CUST item in NAVIGATOR data block:
                              PL/SQL ERROR 49 at line 1, column 24
                              bad bind variable 'S_CUSTOMER.id'

Compilation errors have occurred.

############################

Earlier, when i thought i was successful, the compiler did create all the x files viz. the plx, mmx and fmx files, it just that everytime there were messages like compilation error. I really can't point out looking at the error as to where the error can possibly be.

and even though i have copied the class file in the ...forms/java directory as you had mentioned, i left a file in the c:/summit folder too as i was not sure the strings i was changing are right. that's why the string that i mentioned, what should i do, do i have to remove the roundedbutton.class from the string and from the c:\summit folder.

I am really sorry as I am a bit of a slow learner. Please bear with me and Please don't leave me at this point, i haven't even been able to get off with this whole thing. All my lessons are connected with the Summit application files and i think i am going to have to use the compiler in the lessons ahead, and it's really hard to find someone here who can stick with u for so long to make sure they see you through our problems. you have been great help and i've understood most of the process thanks to you.

thanks a ton for all your help :-)
                              • 12. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                                Michael Ferrante-Oracle
                                Carefully read these errors as they are displayed. If you read them carefully, most times they will point you to the problem. They may not specifically tell you what to do to correct the problem, but it will point you in the right direction.

Compilation error on WHEN-TREE-NODE-ACTIVATED trigger on TREE_CUST item in NAVIGATOR data block:

The above statement tells you that the compiler is starting to validate and compile the WHEN-TREE-NODE-ACTIVATED trigger on TREE_CUST item.

In this trigger, the compiler does not understand a reference to 'S_CUSTOMER.id'. This can only mean one of two things.

1. There is a typo in the pl/sql to this object.
                                2. The object ID does not truly exist in the block S_CUSTOMER.

If you think the pl/sql is correct, look in the Object Navigator in the Data Blocks area and verify that a block named S_CUSTOMER exists and that an object named ID within that block exists. If it does not exist, create it. If this object is expected to be derived from an object library (OLB), ensure the library is located in the FORMS_PATH. Regardless, if the object cannot be found in the form, you will need to put it there.

The class file, which is java, has nothing to do with this.

If you are doing this as part of a formal class, I would hope that your assignment wasn't to take this old demo and make it work in the new version without having been given working instructions or some inital guidance. Also, if this assignment was not first proven to work in class, I would suggest talking to the instructor, as it would be extremely difficult for someone new to this product to figure out how to get it running without first having a good working knowledge of the product basics.

Consider Oracle University:
                                http://education.oracle.com
                                • 13. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                                  that what i am starting to think too. It clicked me when i wrote to you last.
                                  I had trained on oracle 9i three months ago and they had not taught us how to import applications, they just gave us the environment ready to practice straight off the book.

and now, i am doing a self-learn, so i created my own environment on my machine, and i preferred a step-up version of what i had learned.

So, my question is , did the institute where i learned did the same as what i'm probably tryin to do, as you say summit is as old as the version 6 or oracle developers suite. so how come the lessons in the oracle certified literature for 9i has summit all over it...and if so, why can't i find this summit already in the 10g database. it's a lot confusing already.

i have tried to open customers.fmb in forms builder and tried to run it. it gave me the same error as i was getting while trying to compile the same file.

i checked up the pl/sql error, it is as it states below...

:GLOBAL.customer_id := :S_CUSTOMER.id;
                                  IF ID_NULL(FIND_FORM('ORDERS')) THEN
                                  -- CALL_FORM('ORDERS',hide, do_replace, SHARE_LIBRARY_DATA);
                                  OPEN_FORM('ORDERS');
                                  ELSE
                                       GO_FORM('ORDERS');
                                  END IF;

Where can i check for the s_customer as i xpand the data block node, i only find the following sub nodes...

Items under control and items under nav_control (this is the original customers.fmb file that came with summit.zip, i have not done anything to it yet, except trying to compile it to get a customers.fmx, where i have failed.)

and under control items i have, the following..
                                  CURSOR
                                  PROMPT_CUSTNAME
                                  PROMPT_PHONE
                                  PROMPT_SALES_NAME
                                  SALES_LOV_BUTTON
                                  EXIT

You make all of this sound very easy, and sounds like you have a great deal of experience in all this. Could you please help me out, by checking the summit.zip file from the OTN to see if the application as such has any errors, because i have tried all the steps that you have suggested, and it still shows some error. I am starting to feel that maybe the database or the schemas may have some error in itself.

Please do tell me how can i create a file that does not exist and can i not make do without this file, as i have everything else.
                                  • 14. Re: New to Forms, need help in Installing the Summit Application
                                    Michael Ferrante-Oracle
                                    We still have examples based on "Summit Sporting Goods". In fact, I believe the latest version of the sql scripts are included with the latest Developer Suite and possibly Application Server.

From where exactly did you get the Summit demo for Forms 6i? I think this was only available through the Oracle training classes and not on OTN. Of course my memory isn't what it used to be.... :-)
                                    1 2 Previous Next