5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2008 9:09 AM by 645793 RSS

How to retain content/setting on Smart Space Gadget

I added any content to smartbook or favorite or key contact. But I can't see the same content next time if I close those gadgets before I log off. Does anyone know how to keep the setting on those gadgets without leaving all of them open? Thanks a lot.
        • 1. Re: How to retain content/setting on Smart Space Gadget
          Hackey Weinberger
          Hi Yang,

You need to be sure not to click the red X in the right corner of the gadgets as this actually removes them from your Smart Space desktop. By default, you should receive a dialog box when clicking the X stating: "Click "Yes" to remove this gadget from the Smart Space desktop. All your settings from this gadget will be deleted." There is a setting in the Smart Space Control Panel's General tab "Display warning when closing gadgets" which determines if the message will be shown.

For your Smart Space desktops you can show the head up display then change your Smart Space desktop preference to "Show Smart Space desktop in task bar when the head up display mode is on". This will allow you to minimize the desktop by clicking the green icon on the top right of the desktop.

When you exit Smart Space, it automatically retains all gadget settings so that when you restart Smart Space you can view your reports in the Smart Book and use the Favorites to launch content.

If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to e-mail me at hackey.weinberger@oracle.com

Thanks,

Hackey Weinberger
          Product manager for Smart Space
          • 2. Re: How to retain content/setting on Smart Space Gadget
            Hi Hackey,
            Thank you for your reply.

Yes I knew the clicking on red X will make me lose the content that I added in any gadget. And also I knew I can have the content retained if I don't manually close those gadgets before I log out Smart Space.

I just wanna know if there is a way make those gadgets hidden( or you can say minimized) by default when I log in Smart Space and open particular ones (of course with content) manually when it's necessary, instead of having all of them shown (no matter on windows desktop or Smart Space desktop) as soon as Smart Space started.

Again, thank you for your instant reply. Look forward to your feedback.
            • 3. Re: How to retain content/setting on Smart Space Gadget
              Hackey Weinberger
              You're welcome, Yang. It's my pleasure.

Currently, there's no way to minimize a specific gadget but this is something we are considering for a future release since we've received many requests for this functionality.

The best workaround I can suggest is to minimize the entire desktop by following the steps I mentioned in my previous post. I hope you'll find that to be a workable solution.

Thanks for using Smart Space. Feel free to e-mail me with feedback on the product including ideas for other enhancements.

Regards,

Hackey Weinberger
              Product Manager for Smart Space
              hackey.weinberger@oracle.com
              • 4. Re: How to retain content/setting on Smart Space Gadget
                Hackey Weinberger
                P.S. In re-reading your reply, I thought of something else that should assist you.

You can set individual gadgets to only show on the Head up display (HUD), which means when the desktop is in not in the HUD mode the gadget will not appear. To do this click the gear icon on a gadget and check the Show only on Smart Space desktop property. Try this with one of yopur gadgets then show the HUD and see if that works for you.

Thanks,

Hackey Weinberger
                Product manager for Smart Space
                hackey.weinberger@oracle.com
                • 5. Re: How to retain content/setting on Smart Space Gadget
                  Hi Hackey, your "HUD" approach works and I am happy to hear that new release will get rid of this headache. Thank you.