3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2008 10:39 AM by Jan Vervecken

Database diagram: show some of the hidden column

Hi,
      I've a table with a large number of column and I want to display only some of them.
      So, I click on the column that I don't want to see in the graph with the right button --> Hide selected shape.
      But If I make a mistake and I hide a column that should be visible the only that I've found to do this is right click on the table --> show all hidden members

This option displays all the column that I've previously hide, so if I've hidden 50 columns I need to (re)hide manually 49 columns.

There is a way to show only a single hidden column?
      Hope in a answer
      Best regards
      Tranen
        • 1. Re: Database diagram: show some of the hidden column
          Jan Vervecken
          hi Tranen

Using JDeveloper 10.1.3.4.0, on a Database Diagram, when I right-click a column for a table is can see the menu option "Hide Selected Shapes" but it has been greyed-out.

Is that what you do where you write : "+So, I click on the column that I don't want to see in the graph with the right button --> Hide selected shape.+" ?

It also seems to be what is describe here, but it does not seem to work for me.
          http://susanduncan.blogspot.com/2008/08/dd-tips-and-techniques-2-displaying.html
          "+DD Tips and Techniques - 2 Displaying Shapes+"
          "+Hide Selected Shapes+
          +If you want to show only some of the members of your shape (for instance only the keys and major columns in a table) select members you want to hide and use this context menu. The members are cut from the diagram but are still available to you through the shape editor. To see all the members again use Show All Hidden Members+"

regards
          Jan Vervecken
          • 2. Re: Database diagram: show some of the hidden column
            Hi Jan,
            when I right-click a column for a table is can see the menu option "Hide Selected Shapes" but it has been greyed-out.
            Maybe this option is disabled under JDeveloper 10.1.3.4.0, try to use JDeveloper 11.1.1.0.0.

Thanks
            Cheers
            Tranen
            • 3. Re: Database diagram: show some of the hidden column
              Jan Vervecken
              Thanks for pointing that out Tranen.

Somehow I missed that I ended up in the "JDeveloper and OC4J 11g Technology Preview" forum when posting my reply.

If I try this using JDeveloper 11g TP4, I see the same behaviour you describe.

About your question "There is a way to show only a single hidden column?", I don't know if this is possible.
              I looked in the Structure Panel for such an "unhide" feature, but that only shows the table and none of the columns.

I tried to dive into the ".db_diagram" file outside JDeveloper with a regular text editor.
              First searching the relevant ".table" file for the "identifier" value for the column to "unhide" like this
              <identifier class="java.lang.String"><![CDATA[151bcc44-49a6-41ef-b598-c208fea84185]]></identifier>
              After that, searching with that "identifier" value in the ".db_diagram" file and deleting the relevant "contained" element like this
              <contained xmi:type='DI:GraphNode' xmi:id='c1c6ccc0-011c-1000-800b-c0a80174eacc' isVisible='false'>
                <semanticModel xmi:type='DI:CoreSemanticModelBridge' element='DB:COLUMN::151bcc44-49a6-41ef-b598-c208fea84185::TABLE::1a864057-6e73-4029-8399-1fde371b90b7::Provider::c1be0ddc-011c-1000-8002-c0a80174eacc'/>
              </contained>
              I don't really recommend this approach because it seemed to work for me in a very simple Database Diagram, but JDeveloper didn't really respond very well to this (should have shut it down first). I had to restart my computer.

Maybe someone from Oracle could help you with this.

success
              Jan Vervecken