11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2008 5:56 AM by Marwim RSS

Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C

Did you read "Comparing Free databases: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C" ?
      http://freedb2.com/2008/06/19/comparing-free-databases-oracle-xe-vs-db2-express-c/
      I'm very curious your opinion.
        • 1. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
          Yawei Zhang
          Hi,

I read the post, I don't know anything about DB2, but I think what the author said made some sense.

Hope we can improve some bit, I think there's not much attention from Oracle about XE, I think they made it out, and then they ingored it, treat him as kind of , abandoned.

If you see the news from XE homepage you can see there's only very old news, several monthes ago.

And Tom Kyte, from his introduction of XE in a podcast, he said he will be a active paticipater of XE forum, but from his post no, I can see that he never been here for such a long time, no any posts from him from 1 year's or even more time.

Peter
          • 2. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
            Yawei Zhang
            Tom Kyte: 279, no more, same no from one year ago.
            • 3. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
              Hi, is true, IBM DB2 Express C is a giant compared with Oracle XE.

...if it appears that oracle Corp. has neglected its product Oracle Database XE especially if we consider that it is not yet available edition of the Express version 11g, but if we consider the product updates available working with Oracle Database XE as Oracle Application Express 3.0.1,3.1 and ODAC 11.1. 6.21 We can see that remains included.

Perhaps what many want is that Oracle relax the limits imposed on Oracle Database XE, while designing a strategy to allow greater host of the same by the community of developers.

Relaxing the limits:
              * 2GB of RAM.
              * 2 CPUs.
              * To increase storage space.

... and liberate the express edition with each new version, perhaps too much to ask.

Roberto.
              • 4. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                cd_2
                I'll give the author some credit. Yes, DB2-Express-C has some advantages regarding supported memory, platforms, number of CPUs and storage. No doubt about that. And let's not forget about the mentioned support provided by IBM. Clearly another plus.

I'm not sure about the statement of needing a SE1 upgrade to use RMAN. That one is available in XE, without some options, such as point-in-time recovery. I'm also not sure about the XML-support, since that one's also included in XE. The memory consumption example sound's a bit strange, since I managed to install XE onto a configuration as little as 512MB RAM (under Linux though).

Now what are the advantages of XE compared to DB2-Express-C?

#1 Different architecture. I, for one, like MVCC and I'd rather not want to work with another product that doesn't provide that feature. Maybe DB2 finally offers that feature too?

#2 Powerful SQL dialect including extensions such as regular expressions and advanced analytic functions such as the MODEL clause.

#3 PL/SQL itself is a big plus, including all the nice features such as "compiler directives" ($Commands) and native compilation and of course a full fledged 3GL language, which leads us directly to Point #4.

#4 Free web development platform called Application Express. Can't see how that is ever going to happen in any other database. And let's not forget about the support for APEX applications under SQLDeveloper in its current release.

Everyone has to choose the product that he/she is comfortable with. My daily bread is developing applications in/with the Oracle DBMS, so it does make sense for me to use XE for some private projects. A die hard DB2 fan such as the author certainly has the same valid reasons to stick with DB2-Express-C. Same goes for all the other closed/open source products in that area.

Yes, I wouldn't mind if Oracle Corp. lifted some restrictions on the XE license and provided additional support. Depending on the inroads of the competing Express products this may or may not change in the future. For the time beeing, however, I'm quite comfortable with XE and its restriction, I didn't manage to hit any of those boundaries to this very day, but then I'm not using any TB/PB storage solutions for private use or try to build up giant multi-media archives.

C.
                • 5. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                  Oracle has achieved its objectives with Oracle Database Express Edition?. Many features of Oracle Database as PL / SQL and Application Express are not available in DB2 Express C 9.5 and MySQL. But for some developers these features are not enough, MySQL and DB2 Express C have no storage limit, this is the key point. Read the following link: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/success/cssdb.nsf/CS/JKIN-6VMQNS?OpenDocument&Site=db2software&cty=en_us, Oracle as part of its strategy with XE must remove some limits with memory, storage capacity, number of CPU's support although only one instance.

What do you think?

Roberto.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                    Marwim
                    Hello Kerad,
                    to me the most important is that Oracle XE has still all the well known security holes of 10.2. I could live well with the current limits, but I will never build a productive system on a DBMS where I can't fix security flaws.

Regards
                    Marcus
                    • 7. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                      If Oracle Database XE has the same security holes that Oracle Database 10.2 because it can not apply the patches offered by Oracle Corp.., How is it possible that Oracle will allow this product can be used in production environments where there is no justification purchase of an edition as SE1, SE or EE or for businesses that were unable to pay a license as the previous ones?

As this situation, Oracle Database XE should be labelled as a tool of testing and study but not production (Read [http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/cunningham-database-xe.html] ).

In this link will find the following statement from Lewis R Cunninnghan: "*But for so many +other situations-not simply for training or testing+-XE is a wonderful new tool*. From mom-and-pop to Fortune 500, you're likely to find that XE is the database for your desktop. "

And if it is best to use XE as a desktop database, there would be no competition or DB2 Express C, MySQL or SQL Server Express (Microsoft offers service packs for this edition).

Oracle should provide Oracle 11gR2 Database Express Edition *with support for a single instance, with 100GB of data storage and receivable by upgrade packages for this edition.*

Roberto.

Edited by: user584812 on Sep 8, 2008 3:19 PM
                      • 8. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                        cd_2
                        Form my point of view, Oracle Corp. "must" not do anything with its XE release. However, they "could" remove some of their limits (or lower the entry price for a SE1 1 CPU license). One thing that does make me curious is the request for any other artificial storage limit, such as 10GB. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me because people that can't live with a 4GB limit will sooner or later hit the 10GB limit as well, and then this discussion starts all over again.

One thing about bug fixes/patches: Yes, I would like to have them too, however, XE in its current state could still be used for production purpose. I, for one, am using the XE version plus an updated APEX installation on my personal root server for my blog application. Until today I can't say anyone successfully exploited any of those mentioned security holes. Maybe preventing access to port 1521 and using a current release of APEX is sufficient for certain environments.

C.
                        • 9. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                          I proposed 100GB storage as a reasonable limit because Oracle hardly An aversion Express Edition unlimited storage because Oracle have your business with SE1 and the idea of user CD is good "*or lower the entry price for a SE1 1 CPU license"*, lowering the entry price of SE1 is a good idea But today is far from a change like this occur.

And if removing the limit storage XE is a utopia, from my point view , 100GB storage is good. Well remember Sybase ASE Express for Linux is limited to 500GB.
                          • 10. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                            cd_2
                            Sorry, I misread that number. A 100GB storage limit, however, would imply the removal of other limits, such as 1GB of SGA/PGA memory, and where would those be? And let's not forget, that with a database of that size, other tools/options such as PITR would become a necessity.

C.
                            • 11. Re: Oracle XE vs DB2 Express-C
                              Marwim
                              Hello Roberto,

you can use XE in production but you have to take extra care i.e. that it is not directly exposed to the internet. If access is only by an application this should be no problem.

Justification not to use a licensed edition might be that one uses it to analyze data on his/her own desktop or within a team. Even for a larger community with low budget.

Regards
                              Marcus