This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2011 10:13 PM by 873210 RSS

java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:

652277 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I have downloaded and installed BEA Weblogic Platform 10.2 and created a new Server with the domain D:\BEA Inst\wlserver_10.0\samples\domains\wl_server.
Now I am trying to deploy a very simple Web Service Project to the server. Unfortunately I'm getting a strange error and I have no clue how to fix it. Please, help me.
This is the stack trace:

Module named 'testWSEAR' failed to deploy. See Error Log view for more detail.
Referenced library module 'weblogic-controls-10.0#10.0@10.2' failed to deploy.
java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Inst/wlserver_10.0/platform/lib/p13n/p13n_common.jar

java.lang.Exception: Exception received from deployment driver. See Error Log view for more detail.
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper$DeploymentProgressListener.watch(WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.java:1459)
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.deployLibrary(WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.java:1200)
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.deployLibraryModules(WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.java:1079)
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.deployAllLibraryModules(WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.java:1046)
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.deploy(WlsJ2EEDeploymentHelper.java:710)
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WeblogicServerBehaviour.publishWeblogicModules(WeblogicServerBehaviour.java:1195)
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WeblogicServerBehaviour.publishOnce(WeblogicServerBehaviour.java:657)
     at com.bea.workshop.wls.core.server.internal.WeblogicServerBehaviour.publish(WeblogicServerBehaviour.java:486)
     at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.doPublish(Server.java:875)
     at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publish(Server.java:863)
     at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.ServerWorkingCopy.publish(ServerWorkingCopy.java:627)
     at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.PublishServerJob.run(PublishServerJob.java:142)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:58)
Caused by: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Inst/wlserver_10.0/platform/lib/p13n/p13n_common.jar
     at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:567)
     at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:464)
     at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:413)
     at sun.rmi.server.LoaderHandler.pathToURLs(LoaderHandler.java:747)
     at sun.rmi.server.LoaderHandler.loadClass(LoaderHandler.java:147)
     at java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader$2.loadClass(RMIClassLoader.java:620)
     at java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader.loadClass(RMIClassLoader.java:247)
     at sun.rmi.server.MarshalInputStream.resolveClass(MarshalInputStream.java:197)
     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1544)
     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1466)
     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1699)
     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1305)
     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readArray(ObjectInputStream.java:1634)
     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1299)
     at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:348)
     at java.rmi.MarshalledObject.get(MarshalledObject.java:135)
     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$6.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1595)
     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.unwrap(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1586)
     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$600(RMIConnectionImpl.java:81)
     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$7.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1631)
     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.unwrap(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1627)
     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:766)
     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl_WLSkel.invoke(Unknown Source)
     at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.invoke(BasicServerRef.java:589)
     at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef$1.run(BasicServerRef.java:479)
     at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:363)
     at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(Unknown Source)
     at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.handleRequest(BasicServerRef.java:475)
     at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.access$300(BasicServerRef.java:59)
     at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef$BasicExecuteRequest.run(BasicServerRef.java:1016)
     at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:200)
     at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:172)
  • 1. Re: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
    656907 Newbie
    I have the same problem, but I don't have the answer...
    Can somebody help us ?

Thx
  • 2. Re: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
    649271 Explorer
    This Problem means that there is no legal protocol or it cannot be parsed.

It might be DTD problem for which you have stop DTD validation in your eclipse or you have to give the absolute path of DTD instead of URL. Pls try that

Thanks
    Vishnu
  • 3. Re: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
    660415 Newbie
    sorry but i think you have to look a little deeper with this error (read the full stacktrace), it is not a malformed DTD. This looks like the notorious RMI classloader bug, in which the server has been installed to a filesystem path with spaces in the name. Sun refuses to fix the bug:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4496398

Google "LoaderHandler.pathToURLs" and you will be astonished by the number of products that have been affected by this bug.

I notice you installed in the directory "D:\BEA Inst\". Try installing in a path without spaces, e.g. BEA_Inst.
  • 4. Re: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
    648793 Explorer
    I agree with tormp. This problem is definitely because of that space in your bea home directory. Check the error again
    java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Inst/wlserver_10.0/platform/lib/p13n/p13n_common.jar. It not not picking up the complete path for the liberary because of space.
  • 5. Re: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
    720180 Newbie
    Thank you, tormp! You likely just saved me from hours of frustration.
  • 6. Re: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
    873210 Newbie
    Hi All

I am also facing a similar issue.I am building up the URL from its component. and appending it as follows

url.append(scheme).append("://").append(serverName).append(":").append(serverPort).append("/SPAL").append("/faces/Login.jspx");

But its throwing the following error

java.net.MalformedURLException: The path for getResource() must begin with a '/'
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.getResource(WebAppServletContext.java:796)
         at oracle.adf.library.webapp.ADFJspResourceProvider.internalLastModified(ADFJspResourceProvider.java:554)
         at oracle.adf.library.webapp.ADFJspResourceProvider.getLastModified(ADFJspResourceProvider.java:313)
         at oracle.jsp.runtimev2.JspPageInfo.getLastModified(JspPageInfo.java:193)
         at oracle.jsp.runtimev2.JspPageInfo.needsRecompileAction(JspPageInfo.java:521)
         at oracle.jsp.runtimev2.JspPageInfo.needsRecompile(JspPageInfo.java:500)
         at oracle.jsp.runtimev2.JspPageTable.service(JspPageTable.java:371)
         at oracle.jsp.runtimev2.JspServlet.internalService(JspServlet.java:729)
         at oracle.jsp.runtimev2.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:653)
         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper$ServletServiceAction.run(StubSecurityHelper.java:227)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper.invokeServlet(StubSecurityHelper.java:125)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.execute(ServletStubImpl.java:292)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.TailFilter.doFilter(TailFilter.java:26)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.RequestEventsFilter.doFilter(RequestEventsFilter.java:27)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:3592)
         at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
         at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:121)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.securedExecute(WebAppServletContext.java:2202)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.execute(WebAppServletContext.java:2108)
         at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.run(ServletRequestImpl.java:1432)
         at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:201)
         at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:173)

Can someone please guide me

Thanks
    Susan