1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 12:51 PM by jgarry RSS

Spam or phishing....?

hello all,
      yesterday i received this mail asking to renew the magazine issue. when i checked the link ( bold marked below ) it is pointing to the below site..
      http://or.oph10.net/r/?ZXU=669161&ZXD=8615898&pk=RA29E1&an=117021931&ln=xxxxxxx

is a correct mail or not

regards
      KK
      -----------------------------------------Message Received--------------------------------------
      Dear xxxxxx,

Renew your subscription to Oracle Magazine NOW, and keep this award-winning publication coming your way for a full calendar year without another reminder from us. Oracle Magazine is FREE to qualified subscribers, and the best time to re-subscribe is NOW.

Save time! Renew by e-mail today:
      http://www.submag.com/oracle?pk=RA29E1&an=117021931&ln=xxxxxxx

As always, you can also renew by mail - just use the form included with your upcoming issues of Oracle Magazine.

Sincerely,

Karin Kinnear
      Senior Circulation Manager, Oracle Magazine
        • 1. Re: Spam or phishing....?
          dbridges22
          I received it too.

Is there an alternate (and legitimate) way to renew?

Besides, I thought that i'd renewed recently anyway so it's timing does not make sense...
          • 2. Re: Spam or phishing....?
            krkrishna/dbridges22,
            You can renew your subscriptions to Oracle Magazine through the subscription page at http://www.oracle.com/oramag/misc/s_and_a.html

(it does actually link to the same "submag.com" domain to handle subscription fulfillment)

Regards,
            Lawrence/OTN
            • 3. Re: Spam or phishing....?
              I got this today too. It is without doubt one of the most authentic looking phishing mails I have ever received. The give away though is in the English grammar, which, although seemingly well phrased, contains some real clangers, that aren't grammatically correct and would never get past the copy editors at Oracle.

The other dead give away is the domain name and the none-standard links: oraclecomm.net ?? halldata.com ??

But the fill-out form looks quite genuine... apart from the fact that there is no other banner or advert or anything else on the form page, which is unusual.

I know it's a long time since this thread was posted, but the OTN guy who responded did not make it clear that this IS a phishing mail, he just gave the correct address, but that did not answer the OPs question.

Andrew
              • 4. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                the thread is still relevant - I got a similar mail on 23 Aug.
                • 5. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                  Andrés Orencio
                  I've received one today from:

<Oracle Magazine> Oracle_Magazine@oraclecomm.net

I've made a whois search http://whois.domaintools.com/oraclecomm.net and it's Edith Roman Associates, an Infogroup company, a premier mailing list supplier that specializes in boosting lead generation and sales for companies large and small.

They have written to my e-mail (registered on only in oracle.com): dir.oracle@....mydomain...., using my complete name.

How have they got my name and my email?

Has been attacked Oracle?
                  • 6. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                    Billy~Verreynne
                    lodopidolo wrote:

Has been attacked Oracle?
                    Has you been attacked? No. Don't flatter yourself.

If Oracle chooses to "+attack+" you, you would have had several lawyers in dark suits, scaring you, with all kinds of legit writs.
                    • 7. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                      BluShadow
                      I suspect Oracle uses some external company to manage email shots for their magazine subscriptions.
                      Of course, one should always be wary of phishing attempts, but if they've got your Name and email address correct, it's less likely to be phishing and more likely to be genuine.
                      • 8. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                        This indicates that Oracle's unbreakable mailing list has been broken into and stolen.
                        It's hardly a co-incidence that this is being sent to Oramag subscribers. Can Oracle advise what level of breach has taken place and how many email addresses have been stolen.
                        • 9. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                          John Stegeman
                          This indicates that Oracle's unbreakable mailing list has been broken into and stolen.
                          No it doesn't. It indicates (most likely) that Oracle uses an external company for doing these email blasts.

John
                          • 10. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                            Marwim
                            Since the topic contains the faux-pas word "Urgent" it is ignored by default.

Perhaps someone can explain why I should renew a subscription for an online magazine (presented in a hard to read format, that contains a lot of advertisement) in a tedious process where I have to reveal a lot of personal information (be it correct or not), when I can simply subscribe to a RSS-Feed and read the content online without ads in a simple HTML page?

Regards
                            Marcus
                            • 11. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                              John Stegeman
                              why I should renew a subscription for an online magazine
                              if you don't want to, then don't. Simple.
                              • 12. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                                Billy~Verreynne
                                graypz wrote:
                                Perhaps it is an indication of your (lack of) intelligence as Oracle outsource/contracts out certain aspects of their Oracle Mag online management?
                                It's hardly a co-incidence that this is being sent to Oramag subscribers. Can Oracle advise what level of breach has taken place and how many email addresses have been stolen.
                                Face. Palm.
                                • 13. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                                  Blais
                                  If it's so obvious, why did nobody at Oracle mag reply to this thread.

MB
                                  • 14. Re: Spam or phishing....?
                                    jgarry
                                    Blais wrote:
                                    If it's so obvious, why did nobody at Oracle mag reply to this thread.

MB
                                    Because it was 4 years ago and people at oramag wouldn't be looking here then or now?
                                    1 2 Previous Next