This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 10:51 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    Blais wrote:
    If it's so obvious, why did nobody at Oracle mag reply to this thread.
    Because this is not an Oracle Mag forum? What on earth make you think the editor of the mag hangs out here - just waiting at the end of a keyboard to answer questions to idiots that cannot send queries directly to the mag's editorial staff?

My problem is persons immediately accusing Oracle of having been hacked, 100's of 1000's of OTN mail addresses stolen, and demanding that Oracle comes clean.

Those types of persons can trace their bloodline directly back to Salem, 1692...
  • 16. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Marwim Expert
    why I should renew a subscription for an online magazine
    if you don't want to, then don't. Simple.
    I won't, but that is not the point. Why would a company offer two channels for a customer magazin, one easy to read for everyone without registration and another (the one containing ads) where you have to pay with personal information?
    Usually the web works the other way -> you have to registrate for the free version and the other one has the ads.

Regards
    Marcus
  • 17. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Marwim Expert
    to answer questions to idiots that cannot send queries directly to the mag's editorial staff?
    Have you ever tried to get an answer from them?

I sent more than one, e.g. asking the question I posted above about "Why renew". I never got an answer.

Regards
    Marcus
  • 18. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    So if they do not seem to respond to direct mail, why is it that some seem to think they will monitor this OTN forum, respond to and answer questions here???
  • 19. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    John Stegeman Oracle ACE
    If there's one thing that I've learned in my (redacted) years of life it's this:

Questions that involve the word "why" and a human in some form often have no answer

:)
  • 20. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Marwim Expert
    So if they do not seem to respond to direct mail, why is it that some seem to think they will monitor this OTN forum
    From the phrasing of the postings I cannot deduce that they address the OraMag managers, but more likely the OTN community - a feasible way to get information about things related to Oracle when you cannot get information from Oracle itself.

Regards
    Marcus
  • 21. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Owen Thomas Newbie
    If the email I received was bona-fide, then here's something Oracle might, perhaps, look into regarding how an external agency might be giving Oracle a bad name.

The email I received was titled "Renew your subscription today to Java Magazine today!".

A sentence like that makes the reader fluent in English contribute to threads like this one.
  • 22. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    jgarry Guru
    Certainly a good point. These days, they can get names and emails from all sorts of places, for many values of "they." A well-sharpened spearphish can be indistinguishable from a legitimate email. The general low quality of legitimate marketing companies (if that isn't an oxymoron) can make anyone look bad, if the target is expecting high quality.

I know my work spam skyrocketed after I briefly put my work email in linkedin. Now several online directories claiming to have "verified" my address have it. Sometimes I respond to people who would actually interest me, asking where they got the address, then when they tell me, I tell them it makes them look bad. Does that change what they use or do? No. They are trying to sell something, and rationalize away any complaints, only really caring about success. That's the nature of sales, unbridled optimism. If 99.999% of their response is "bite off," the rest may be enough to rationalize anything. I doubt if any high muckety-mucks at Oracle really care too much about the bogus marketing, they might care some about journalists, and maybe a bit less about bloggers, but mostly they care about the bottom line. That the company is better than other companies is a given. Heck, you could put a billboard up in New York personally insulting the company president, and that would barely make a dent in the zeitgeist for a week.
  • 23. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Owen Thomas Newbie
    jgarry wrote:
    Heck, you could put a billboard up in New York personally insulting the company president, and that would barely make a dent in the zeitgeist for a week.
    I have no need for a billboard. I can undermine the fantasy of Oracle's revenue base by using open source versions of their software, and then, whenever it suits me, I can bag three kinds of the living Christ out of Oracle on their fora.

Catharsis... give it to me baby.
  • 24. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Owen Thomas wrote:

I have no need for a billboard. I can undermine the fantasy of Oracle's revenue base by using open source versions of their software,
    There are no "open source" versions of the Oracle RDBMS. There are Open Source projects that claims to be like Oracle and provide a certain level of Oracle feature support - but these are poor and shoddy imitations.
    and then, whenever it suits me, I can bag three kinds of the living Christ out of Oracle on their fora.
    I again prefer t-bagging a sniper body, after a bayonet kill, when playing online... (no, nobody like camping sniper dweebs).
    Personally, I would want a supermodel to feature in that sentence..
  • 25. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Owen Thomas Newbie
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    There are no "open source" versions of the Oracle RDBMS....
    Yea, but I don't care.

Maybe you can try to suck all those Java developers on to PL/SQL... maybe you can make water run up a hill too. :D
    and then, whenever it suits me, I can bag three kinds of the living Christ out of Oracle on their fora.
    I again prefer t-bagging a sniper body, after a bayonet kill, when playing online... (no, nobody like camping sniper dweebs).
    T-bagging... hmm...

>
    Personally, I would want a supermodel to feature in that sentence..
    I was trying to elicit a more... directed response than mere fraternisation.

One should try harder...

It appears that hubris nourishes the image that a company called Oracle wants to project; such are some of the responses I witness in this thread, and such are the responses I have regularly had to deal with in other conversations. However, I think, perhaps, Oracle should sometimes admit to listening to the white noise that their community makes. Java is a very powerful language environment, and I am very happy to use it.

My request to the corporate citizen known as Oracle is this: please consider the impression that bad grammar gives your name and do something about reducing its occurrence.

Enjoy your day.
  • 26. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    Owen Thomas wrote:

My request to the corporate citizen known as Oracle is this: please consider the impression that bad grammar gives your name and do something about reducing its occurrence.
    This forum is a poor choice for addressing Oracle and expecting Oracle to take notice of such an issue (especially one that does not relate directly to OTN usage itself).

But I support what you are saying.
    Enjoy your day.
    Can't. It is Friday. After Monday, it is the worse day of the week. It is the closest working day to the next horrible Monday... +<sigh>+

;-)
  • 27. Re: Spam or phishing....?
    jgarry Guru
    Try taking off Wednesday. Then your week has two Mondays.
1 2 Previous Next