1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2008 11:40 AM by hatmani RSS

New forum software.. sucks?

Billy~Verreynne
      Never mind that for several days I now could not access OTN forums, it took me several minutes attempting to get OTN to accept a post as this error keeps on popping up:

+500 Internal Server Error+

Servlet error: An exception occurred. The current application deployment descriptors do not allow for including it in this response. Please consult the application log for details.

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 05:20:39 GMT Server: Oracle-Application-Server-10g Connection: close Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
      Internal Server Error
      The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

+Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.+

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered

And then the preview does not work either (Firefox 3).

Sorry, but this is the very same round of smelly dung as last time around when the aborted forum upgrade happen. That time around I was not impressed. This time around is more like disgust.
        • 1. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
          ATD
          I completely agree, Billy.

I do not care whether or not this forum has loads of funky new features - if no one can get to the site and/or post anything, what's the point?

I would also like to register my disgust at what's been happening for several days and my sheer disappointment that Oracle, of all companies, would allow an application to go live without thorough testing or, if it was thoroughly tested in UAT, without rolling back immediately when it was obvious that there were problems in the production environment. At the very least, I would have expected some form of apology at the top of each forum or redirects to more "user-friendly" error pages so that users were kept informed.

Perhaps Oracle do not appreciate that every application that they deliver acts as an ambassador for their company. As you say, Billy, this new software Sucks big time - so what's that say about Oracle?

Andy
          • 2. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
            cd_2
            One thing to add: Why didn't they migrate this forum to an APEX solution?

I'm not impressed with the improvements of this Jive version, I'd rather have the old version back, if nothing else.

C.
            • 3. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
              ATD
              I couldn't agree more, C !!

As I spend most of my Forum time on the Application Express forum, it has always puzzled me why Oracle don't use it themselves. I'm sure us Apex forum posters would be only too happy to help them out - all they have to do is start a new thread in the forum and we'd be happy to oblige ;)

Andy
              • 4. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                << New forum software.. sucks? >>

exclamation mark, not question mark
                • 5. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                  Billy~Verreynne
                  +> exclamation mark, not question mark+

Trying to be more positive as I've been accused of being too critical and negative in my postings around here... and of course, I've run out of my yearly OTN quota of exclamation marks about 6 weeks ago.. +<sigh>+
                  • 6. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                    I am not a big fun of this forum software as well. Even the forum on their very own website is very slow compare to most open source options.
                    Given the fact their forum only have few thousand posts while OTN forum usually rank around 120-200 worldwide with millions of posts. I can totally understand the slowness now after checking their site.
                    • 7. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      +<deleted duplicate posting - duplicate because of a crappy OTN servers and forum s/w that gives all kinds of errors>+
                      • 8. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                        (sarcasm on)

My goodness, of course - we should have called you guys first, and none of this would have happened!

Your ability to see through walls, travel through time, and otherwise instantly comprehend and solve all our challenges is amazing!

(sarcasm off)

Seriously now, we are well aware of the instability problems. There are people going without their "regular" lives to restore continuous service.
                        • 9. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                          It&rsquo;s getting faster now. Might be the index got rebuild! ;)

Good job!

sp009
                          • 10. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                            true, guess the hard work finally get some paid off.
                            • 11. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                              Is there a bug thread?

Seems URL text can not contain apostrophes. It just doesn't show up.
                              [Localhost's URL|http://localhost] 
                              {code}

--  
                              Regards,
                              Greg Rahn
                              [http://structureddata.org]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
                              • 12. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                                Billy~Verreynne
                                My goodness, of course - we should have called you guys first, and none of this would have happened!
                                Er.. think you guys can afford me and the rest of the Elite OTN Big Mouth Team?

Seriously now, we are well aware of the instability problems. There are people going without their "regular"
                                lives to restore continuous service.
                                Been there and done that more times than I care to remember, so I honestly do understand. However, this is one of the few times that I'm not on the receiving end of that stick. So please.. turn around and raise those buttocks. I ain't done yet... :-)
                                • 13. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                                  cd_2
                                  Justin, those remarks about the rather bad upgrade aren't directed at you personally - but imagine if that kind of upgrade would have happened for example on metalink - people would call such a behaviour a joke, don't you think so? I can understand that a free forum with limited funding has limited resources, but on the other hand you (and those responsible) should understand the benefit of a working OTN forum/community. If that's not a priority thing inside Oracle Corp., so be it, after all it's our choice if we "stay" here and give free advice.

C.

Edited by: cd/ on Aug 29, 2008 10:56 AM
                                  • 14. Re: New forum software.. sucks?
                                    Aketi Jyuuzou
                                    Old forum is Jive.
                                    And new forum is Jive.

However why pre-tag is disable?
                                    Perhaps I must update my old posts.
                                    http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=698121
                                    1 2 Previous Next