9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2008 12:45 AM by 638369 RSS

Difference between ADF and OAF

girish1982
      Hi All , can any one please explain the difference among ADF ,OAF, and jdeveloper , please give some clear description as i'm begineer to these terms.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
          SumitSharma
          Hi,

OAF is a J2EE technology Framework based on MVC architecture. Its used extensively in 11.5.10 & R12 of E Business Suite. It is used to create self service applications which can be accessed over the net.
          ADF is also a J2EE technology Framework, but it has an additional layer called Business services. Instead of relying on JSPs as OAF does, ADF has JSFs (Java Server Faces) which have richer UI. Also the Controller layer is handled by JSFs themselves decreasing the amount of coding required by the developer.

The ADF which is currently available in Market (Jdev 10.1.3) does not have Oracle Apps support, that is to say AOL doesn't work with it. So for any application built on top of E Business Suite, OAF is recommended. ADF is recommended for standalone applications. Going forward (in Jdeveloper 11G), ADF would have Apps support too.

In case you are interested in more information about ADF, kindly browse through this URL:
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/adf/index.html

Regards
          Sumit
          • 2. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
            girish1982
            Hi Sumit, thanks for the helful reply given.so actually we are using apps 11.5.9 version,so if i require to customise any screens using other than oracle forms , how to approach do i require to use OAF that means Jdeveloper ? if so what are pre-requiremnts i should have. please advise.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
              SumitSharma
              If you have OAF pages to develop or Customize, you would need Oracle Jdeveloper 9i. This can be downloaded from Metalink. Also check whether your pages are OAF or JTF based (JSPs) before using JDeveloper to customize it.
              • 4. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
                girish1982
                Hi Sumit, Can you pls advise how to check whether we have pages OAF or JTF based?. we are using Apps 11.5.9 version. Is OAF will be installed in with apps or we need to install seperatly? please guide me , thanks

Thanks
                • 5. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
                  SumitSharma
                  You donot need to care about OAF in Application server. It comes as part of the E Business Suite. For your Jdeveloper 9i installation, please download the patch from Metalink.

If you enable the Fnd Diagnostics profile for an Application the OAF pages under the application would have an 'About this Page' link at the bottom of the page. JTF pages wouldn't show this link.

Regards
                  Sumit
                  • 6. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
                    girish1982
                    Hi Sumit and all , I can see the "About this page" link the bottom of some pages. so that means its not an JTF pages na.

So now i just need to install jdeveloper in my local PC and need to develop screen using that.

Can you tell me do i need to install Jdeveloper 9i version or any other leatest versions also will do? bez we are using e-business suit 11.5.9 version. please advise.

And also i would like to ask you , can you please give any demo example link to start up with this complete cycle of a simple screen developement and registration(deployment) into apps.Thanks

Thanks & Regs
                    • 7. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
                      Rakesh S
                      Please refer to Metalink Note:416708.1
                      • 8. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
                        girish1982
                        Hi Rakesh, instead of refering to the note , if anyone explains here would be more effective i guess. please do .

Thanks
                        • 9. Re: Difference between ADF and OAF
                          Hi ,
                          I guess the basic difference between OAF/ADF is clear but the point being that if oaf works jus about well with apps, why go for adf at all.
                          IS there anything being done in adf currently in r11 or r12.
                          or is it goin to be for fusion release alone