10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2008 12:19 AM by Aman.... RSS

Connected to an idle instance.

Hello All,

Many times, whenever i connect to database, it gives status of database as "open" & many times, it just connects as "connected to an idle instance".

Why is it so?
      In which case i can connect to idle instance & in which case i connect to directly opened database?

Regards,
      Amit.
        • 1. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
          Ganadeva
          Do you declare the ORACLE_SID variable properly before connecting?
          • 2. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
            yes. And there is only one database on my system.
            • 3. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
              When DB down then you are connecting to an idel instance.
              • 4. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                What is the OS (some are case sensitive) ? What OS user are you using ?

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
                  What is fun with Oracle is that you need to connect to the DB before you can create it or start it ! :)

So, connected to an idle instance is meaning that the DB is not up, even not created. So, if you are on Windows and the service is stopped, you will have this message.
                  • 6. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
                    Pavan Kumar
                    Hi,

Can you post the steps.. what you have performed at your end.
                    Since, from previous post you might get to know what is the ideal instance....

- Pavan Kumar N
                    • 7. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
                      Hi,

I m using windows xp with oracle 9i r2.

I have created database test & whenever i login -> startup -> work -> shutdown & again login then gives this msg. "Connected to an idle instance".

And many times, database is running & i restart the pc then after again i login then it gives OPEN DATABASE status.
                      • 8. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
                        Hi,

Leo -> whenever service is stopped, it gives TNS: Protocol Adapter Error.

Amit.
                        • 9. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
                          Pavan Kumar
                          Hi,

I have created database test & whenever i login -> startup -> work -> shutdown & again login then gives this msg. "Connected to an idle instance".

As per your statement above
                          Step 1 :- you have Login as usually (here you are connecting to the Ideal Instance only, since DB is not yet started)
                          Step 2 :- Started the DB
                          Step 3:- Done your work
                          Step 4:- Shutdown the DB
                          Step 5;- Again Login (here you are connecting to the Ideal Instance only, since DB is not yet started)

it's correct as the ORACLE is responding correctly.

And many times, database is running & i restart the pc then after again i login then it gives OPEN DATABASE status.

I did not understand the term "OPEN DATABASE status"

If my understanding is correct the ORACLE is DB automatically started when you restarted the PC, the service is UP.
                          so, at this time when you connect to DB, it's OPEN DataBase to Work.

Coming, to previous Post, you stated that When you stop the Service, you are receiving the TNS- Error.
                          Ofcourse, If the ORACLE Service is down, how you expect that user can connect to DB.

- Pavan Kumar N

- Pavan Kumar N
                          • 10. Re: Connected to an idle instance.
                            Aman....
                            Amit,
                            You seem to be a little confused about the db works in windows. In windows, services are the mechanism through which everythign works. Oracle is reckognised in windows through the services which makes an entry in the registry of it. The reason that you see the database as "up and running" when you start your win box is that the service of your db must be set to startup automatically when the machine boots. Check the serice startup attribute, you would see it as automatic. That's why it starts automagically whe the machine starts.
                            The other error that the database is down, if I read correctly , you said you open and shutdown db. Than when you retry to connect , you get "idle instance". That's a normal thing as you yourself has shut it down. Simply issue a restart and it would be fine.
                            So long story cut short, you got nothing at the moment which can be classifiedas exception. If there is anything that I failed to identify, do post it back and will see about it.
                            HTH
                            Aman....