This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 11:47 AM by DietmarAust RSS

XE OTN license agreement unclear for commercial web applications

660588 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
XE is said to be free to use in commercial applications.. Even as a back end db for web applications in the same way as "open source databases"...

How about the OTN license part stating
"(a) purposes of developing, prototyping and running your applications for your own internal data processing operations;".

With this in mind, would it be allowed to create a web application where our customers can login and view data we feel is fitting for their needs, and even manipulate some of that data?
Is this "internal data processing" as in our company and how we internally conduct business and collaborations with our customers... or is this stretching the OTN license agreement to far?
  • 1. Re: XE OTN license agreement unclear for commercial web applications
    510485 Newbie
    Hi,

+(a) purposes of developing, prototyping and running your applications for your own internal data processing operations;+

This clause allows you to use the XE product to develope your apps

+(b) you may also distribute the programs with your applications;+

This clause allows you to distribute commercial applications on XE

+(c) you may use the programs to provide third party demonstrations and training; and+

Another explicit use for demo and training purposes, you can demo and train on your products or on XE in general with the XE product

+(d) you may copy and distribute the programs to your licensees provided that each such licensee agrees to the terms of this Agreement+

You can attach your own license to your products provided that the person/org that is using your license also agrees to the XE license

The Oracle team may correct this interpretation but I believe that this is what we've discussed before on this subject.

Hope this helps

Jason Aughenbaugh (aka. WileECoyote)
    Precision Guesswork Blog: http://citemreh.spaces.live.com
  • 2. Re: XE OTN license agreement unclear for commercial web applications
    660588 Newbie
    My local oracle sales rep tell me this:
    Hosting is when you offer a service to external sources, companies and persons gain access to the database and purchase, use, information which has been made available through activities within the company. ..information that has been worked at, batched etc. this is NOT ok to use XE for, it is allowed only when using Oracle Standard Edition (not One), and only with an explicit clause for a named application in the oracle license.

An example he gave;
    a standard e-commerce site where the customer do not gain directly from the information on the website, but from the product purchased, a music cd or a computer for example is OK.
    when the customer purchase or use the information, it is called hosting and it is NOT ok.

i guess this is why they have the "(a) purposes of developing, prototyping and running your applications for your own internal data processing operations;" clause in the OTN license agreement.

what do you think, is this the way the license is interpeted by oracle world wide or is this an attempt by my sales rep to sell additional license(s)?
    someone with other recent experiences when discussing similar licensing questions with your local oracle sales depts?
  • 3. Re: XE OTN license agreement unclear for commercial web applications
    gary myers Explorer
    "it is allowed only when using Oracle Standard Edition (not One)"
    This makes me a bit suspicious that he is just after sales revenue.
    Their new move to cloud computing includes Amazon Machine Images covering Enterprise, Standard, Standard One and Express Editions.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/cloud/index.html

The Licensing FAQ explicitly mentions
    "Under cloud computing, Oracle Standard Edition One may only be licensed on EC2 instances up to 8 virtual cores."

I'm not clear where your application sits in relation to your database.
    If the database is not directly accessible to the internet (ie you are not giving them SQL access), then the user is interacting with the application, and the database is 'internal' to your company. Generally you have a firewall to make sure it is internal.

If you are using XE's default Apex as the application, the situation may be different as they are interacting directly with a component of XE.
    If you are using an updated Apex, you'll be guided by the license on that, which is slightly different to the XE and standard OTN license. A careful reading of the license indicates that you are only licensed to install it either on a paid-for Oracle db, or for development, though Oracle have documented and coded it to be installed on XE.
  • 4. Re: XE OTN license agreement unclear for commercial web applications
    gary myers Explorer
    PS.Standard Edition One is offered as a hosting solution here:
    http://www.strato.de/server/geschaeftskunden/oracle.html

My German isn't good enough to determine who is the license holder in this case
  • 5. Re: XE OTN license agreement unclear for commercial web applications
    660588 Newbie
    Thanks,

Our application is one or many standard php web application where users login and can view data that we have collected internally.
    We could also offer web services but they are in such case also dicplayed to the public via php or java from an webserver or jboss application server.
    There is of course a firewall between the public internet and the database, and no direct sql access.

Yes, the german company seem to host both XE and Std. Edition One...
  • 6. Re: XE OTN license agreement unclear for commercial web applications
    DietmarAust Oracle ACE
    Hi guys,

I have asked Oracle officials for clarification on these issues and they have responded to me.

See my Blog for details: http://daust.blogspot.de/2012/08/clarification-on-oracle-xe-licensing.html

Cheers,
    ~Dietmar.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points