1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 9:08 PM by 661470 Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
        ebrian
        Have you started the database itself?

set oracle_sid=hcm
        sqlplus / as sysdba
        SQL> startup
        • 31. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
          Yes - when I issue the startup command it says that Oracle is already running.
          • 32. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
            do the following

sqlplus / as sysdba
            sql> alter system register;
            sql> show parameter listener
            -- note down this value
            exit

c:\> lsnrctl services
            cross check whether the lservice is registered.
            • 33. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
              Result of show parameter listener:

local_listener
              remote_listener

both type string, nothing in Value column.

Result of lsnrctl services:

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 25-SEP-2008 23:13:30

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
              Services Summary...
              Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
              Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
              Handler(s):
              "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0
              LOCAL SERVER
              The command completed successfully

...so... does this mean that the listener is listening for a service called PLSExtProc that does not exist? Note that my listener.ora (shown in a prior posting) contains a variable SID_LIST_LISTENER which includes SID_NAME=PLSExtProc.

Also note that in tnsnames.ora (shown in a prior posting), there are two variables: HCM, which points to SERVICE_NAME = HCM.ora.newmiddleclass.com (which is my database), and EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA, which points to SID = PLSExtProc (no service name mentioned)

Also, note that the listener service shown via control panel > settings is called OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener. ...and control panel > services shows OracleServiceHCM, which I assume is the service for my database.
              • 34. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                ebrian
                Did you go thru the documentation for Installing Oracle Database on DHCP Computers?

As a test, can you stop the listener and then rename the listener.ora file to listener.ora.bkp ? Then start the listener back up. Wait a minute or so and then issue the following commands:

lsnrctl status
                lsnrctl services

Also, test if you can connect now.
                • 35. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                  <<Did you go thru the documentation for Installing Oracle Database on DHCP Computers?>>

Yes, I did this before installing 10g...setting up a loopback adaptor was one of the prerequisite warnings. I followed the directions, was able to pass the prerequisite validations, and as far as I can tell the loopback adapter is working correctly. My "hosts" file is:

127.0.0.1 localhost dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com
                  192.168.255.255 dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com dimension4100

I stopped the listener service, renamed my listener.ora file, and then restarted the listerner service (I now have no listener.ora file). lsnrctl commands returned the same error for both Status and Services:

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
                  TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out
                  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
                  TNS-00505: Operation timed out
                  32-bit Windows Error: 60: Unknown error

I can still connect via sqlplus / as sysdba, and can e.g. select from dual.

Just as a reminder, the two issues I was having (before this current listener.ora experiment) are:

1. I can't connect with sqlplus system/<pw>@hcm

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolvethe connect identifier specified

2. In the GUI SQL*Plus login window, what should I be entering for HOST STRING? I've been entering dimension4100, and get error

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

Also, it seems to me that I should be able to enter HCM (the DB_NAME) as Host String but I just get a TNS timeout.

Thanks.
                  • 36. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                    ebrian
                    Do you have a Windows' service called OracleOradb10g_home1TNSListener ?

If it were my machine, I'd totally delete the Windows' Oracle Listener service (located in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services should see a key labeled OracleOradb10g_home1TNSListener) and reboot. Once the system is rebooted, try to start the listener again with lsnrctl start.

If the listener doesn't start, then you may need to verify your network setup (ie. check hosts file and loopback configuration) and ensure there is no firewall in place.
                    • 37. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                      I really appreciate all the time you're spending trying to debug this!

Yes, I have the listener service OracleOradb10g_home1TNSListener, and it appears to be fine.

I've posted my hosts file, most recently in my Sep 26, 2008 9:54 AM entry. The IP address in the loopback adaptor matches the one in the file. (Also, please review that posting to confirm exactly what is working for me and what isn't. Note that I can connect to sqlplus as sysdba and select from tables. I'm not sure I understand how this gets around the listener and Host String issues we've been debugging.)

I did not install a firewall, and as far as I can tell, one is not automatically installed as part of Windows 2000. This computer is a clean install - just the Win 2000 SP4 OS and the Oracle database. No other software except internet explorer 6.

I'm a bit nervous about making a change to my registry... ideally I'd like to get a second opinion that this is ok. If I delete the service from the registry, will lsnrctl start re-create the registry entry?
                      • 38. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                        ebrian
                        I completely understand your apprehension about removing registry settings. There have been several occasions where the only resolution I could find for listener issues was removing the listener service and recreating. The service will get recreated automatically when you run lsnrctl start the first time after the service is deleted and you reboot the machine.

The reason you can connect as 'sqlplus / as sysdba' is that this connection does not utilize the listener.
                        • 39. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                          I stopped the listener, removed the registry entry and rebooted. I ran lsnrctl start and got these results:

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...

Failed to open service <OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener>, error 1060.
                          TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
                          Log messages written to C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\log\listener.log
                          Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
                          TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out
                          TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
                          TNS-00505: Operation timed out
                          32-bit Windows Error: 60: Unknown error

The registry entry was recreated and the service was started.

I still get all of the other errors I described above.
                          1 2 3 Previous Next