I have a report for which I have put CSV download. In this report, we have Chinese, Janpanese, English charactors. I downloaded it from a Simplified Chinese Windows box. When I open the file with Excel, the Chinese and Janpanese are garbled.
How to fix this problem?
Now, I turn on the "Automatic CSV Encoding", should I trun it off?
Certainly it will be, because Win1252 is a single byte character set while chinese (i am not an expert of chinese, but just to clarify, i know there is more than one chinese charset) in AL32UTF8 is represented by multi-byte characters, so, essentially you are getting 2, 3 or 4 junk characters for each chinese glyph, that's why your output is garbled.
As i said, the best option would be to open the CSV file specifying at the time of import that it's UTF-8 encoded.
Unfortunately i can't be more specific on how to do this in Excel because i haven't MS Office installed and the download of openOffice 3.0 for the Mac is underway in this very moment, so may be i can come up with some more info later on.
I'm having the same problem with the Chinese and Japanese characters.
I've turned off the "Automatic CSV Encoding" option in the Globalization Attributes as you recomended but I don't know how to modify the database to AL32UTF8.
Can you please help me with that ?
This is the result :
I'm confused. Why than do I still get garbled data? When opening the csv file with notepad, the data looks ok, but opening it with the Excel will still be garbled.
I do have to mention the fact that due to the fact that I'm in EMEA I have to replace "," with ";" in my csv file to be able to properly read it in Excel.
Any sugestions or ideas to get this soleved would be very much apreciated.
unfortunately i could only try out the operation on an old Excel 2002 version and it's somewhat tricky and i don't know if excel 2007 is any better.
In excel 2002 if the CSV extension is associated with the program, actually the file is opened without asking for any encoding.
But if you rename it to .txt, then a more elaborated import process starts asking for the file encoding among other things like field separators and so on.
It seems to me that OpenOffice 3.0 is much smarter than MS Office in this area.
This was the result of a quick check, i ignore if there are any preferences controlling the file import that can make your life easier.