3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2008 8:18 AM by SatishKandi RSS

ORA-17410: No more data to read from socket

Hi,

I have a dmp exported from Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0) and I'm using it on 10g (10.2.0.1.0). Everything works fine except this type of code:
      select *
      from table_name
      where column_name = 3;
      column_name's type is NUMBER(1,0). I only have this problem when column type is NUMBER(1,0). I changed the type from NUMBER(1,0) to NUMBER, but I still get this error when using this column...
      When running this code I get in less than 5 seconds ORA-17410: No more data to read from socket and nothing else works anymore until I disconnect and connect again to the DB. When I run this code on Oracle 9i it works. I only have this problem on Oracle 10g.

Can you help me?

Thx.
        • 1. Re: ORA-17410: No more data to read from socket
          SatishKandi
          Can you check the profile settings (IDLE_TIME setting) for the logged in user at Oracle level?

This could also be due to failure of connection pooling feature at your middle tier.
          It could also occur due to network problems (firewalls/antivirus software dropping your packets and terminating the connections).
          • 2. Re: ORA-17410: No more data to read from socket
            I don't know how to check the IDLE_TIME for the logged in user, but IDLE_TIME is expressed in minutes and I get this error in 2-5 seconds.

I exclude network problems because I get this error even when running the code on the server using SQL Developer, not only from the application and other complex functions and procedures are working fine if they don't use columns with type NUMBER(1,0) in where statements.

Thx for your answer.
            • 3. Re: ORA-17410: No more data to read from socket
              SatishKandi
              Can you upgrade your database to 10.2.0.3.0 or 10.2.0.4.0? It could be a bug in 10.2.0.1 which is fixed in later patches. Worth a try.

Also try searching on Metalink if your application is using JDBC or OCI. Otherwise, you should be getting in touch with Oracle Support for this issue.