3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2007 2:33 PM by 3004 RSS

Invalid data format error for CLOB

I am trying to migrate a piece of code from WLS 8.1.2 to WLS 8.1.5.
      WLS 8.1.2 has ojdbc14.jar with version "Oracle JDBC Driver version - 9.0.2.0.0"
      WLS 8.1.5 has ojdbc14.jar with version "Oracle JDBC Driver version - 10.1.0.4.0"
      In the older version, I am storing an encrypted string value in a clob and saving in the db.
      When I try the same in the new code, it displays an error that the data is not of the proper format.
      If I read any data entered using the older application, in the new one, it is still valid.
      But, if I enter a new value using WLS 8.1.5, only those are invalid.

I even tried deploying the application with the old and new ojdbc14.jar files with it. In either case, it still gives an error. If I use the later version of ojdbc14.jar, the method getAsciiStream() is deprecated.

How can I make my code independent of the version of ojdbc14.jar and store and read the clob?
        • 1. Re: Invalid data format error for CLOB
          Rohit B wrote:
          I am trying to migrate a piece of code from WLS 8.1.2 to WLS 8.1.5.
          WLS 8.1.2 has ojdbc14.jar with version "Oracle JDBC Driver version - 9.0.2.0.0"
          WLS 8.1.5 has ojdbc14.jar with version "Oracle JDBC Driver version - 10.1.0.4.0"
          In the older version, I am storing an encrypted string value in a clob and saving in the db.
          When I try the same in the new code, it displays an error that the data is not of the proper format.
          If I read any data entered using the older application, in the new one, it is still valid.
          But, if I enter a new value using WLS 8.1.5, only those are invalid.

I even tried deploying the application with the old and new ojdbc14.jar files with it. In either case, it still gives an error. If I use the later version of ojdbc14.jar, the method getAsciiStream() is deprecated.

How can I make my code independent of the version of ojdbc14.jar and store and read the clob?
          Hi. You are suffering with the evolution of Oracle's driver. If you can make a standalone
          program that contains some data, inserts it and extracts it an compares it and proves
          the bug, we can open a case with Oracle. In general you want to use their latest driver,
          but if you can't keep up with their bugs/fixes, you can always keep using the same version
          of the driver everywhere. The way to do that is not to put the driver in you packages,
          but simply to keep the version you want in the weblogic installation's server\lib
          directory (ojdbc14.jar)
          Joe
          • 2. Re: Invalid data format error for CLOB
            Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your input.
            But, if the server hosts more than 1 application and other applications have a dependency on the newer version of the driver, how do we handle it?
            • 3. Re: Invalid data format error for CLOB
              Rohit B wrote:
              Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your input.
              But, if the server hosts more than 1 application and other
              applications have a dependency on the newer version of the
              driver, how do we handle it?
              The server can only use one version of the Oracle thin driver,
              so if you have multiple applications, and they need different
              versions of the driver, you're in trouble. There's no way to
              satisfy that. You'll have beat on Oracle till they give you a
              driver that works everywhere. They may say the newest driver
              is the best, and they won't make it act like the old driver.
              In that case, youy'd have to alter the application that needed
              the older driver to work with the new one. Oracle should have
              to tell you how.
              If you can make a standalone progr4am to show a bug in the
              10g driver, I can intercede with Oracle for you.
              Joe