2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2008 3:05 PM by 666705

Custom Load Balancing Question.

Can anyone give me any pointers on creating a custom load balancing algorithm / cluster proxy..

Basically i want to have something similar to HttpClusterServlet but that you can customise the load balancing on... for example in a cluster of 6 managed server ms1,ms2,ms3,ms4,ms5,ms6 i want to be able to say this instance of httpclusterservlet only knows about and round robins betwen ms1 and ms2 and ignores ms3-6.

Can something like that be easily written? I'm trying implement this to run again ALSB so it's mostly webservice calls being made to the proxy. What i'm aimin for in alsb is having one domain across 3 regions each having their own local load balancer balancing to the ms's in their own region).
        • 1. Re: Custom Load Balancing Question.
          David Ingham wrote:
                    > Can anyone give me any pointers on creating a custom load balancing algorithm / cluster proxy..
                    >
                    > Basically i want to have something similar to HttpClusterServlet but that you can customise the load balancing on... for example in a cluster of 6 managed server ms1,ms2,ms3,ms4,ms5,ms6 i want to be able to say this instance of httpclusterservlet only knows about and round robins betwen ms1 and ms2 and ignores ms3-6.
                    >
                    > Can something like that be easily written? I'm trying implement this to run again ALSB so it's mostly webservice calls being made to the proxy. What i'm aimin for in alsb is having one domain across 3 regions each having their own local load balancer balancing to the ms's in their own region).

I think my answer to your previous emails may start a
                    discussion...perhaps you need 3 clusters. By creating your own cluster
                    servlet, you're messing around with WLS clustering algorithms which may
                    not be a good idea.

Pete
          • 2. Re: Custom Load Balancing Question.
            As the previous poster mentioned changing something like this would not only be very difficult it would no doubt break your support with BEA....

If you want to add servers in and out of a "list" (cluster) you can do this using wlst.
                      You could simply have the servers 3-6 shutdown and start them when needed..

If you want to supply more information You can email me; stevenbennett AT runbox.com

Cheers
                      Steve