4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2001 3:45 PM by 3004

Deployment and Redeployment

Hi, everyone.

How are you deploying your apps? Are you using the weblogic.deploy tool (do
                you use -component with your cluster as a target?)? The console? Or do you
                just copy your archive to the applications directory? There really doesn't
                seem to be much in the WebLogic docs about clustered deployment; just an
                emphasis on homogeneity.

Should redeployment across a cluster even work?

I've been redeploying an application to my cluster by copying it to the
                applications directory for my domain (it's a .ear) on the box where my admin
                server is running. The first time I deployed it, I targeted it to my
                cluster.

This pretty much works, but doesn't work great. Every time I redeploy (copy
                a new version of the file to the directory), I get errors on the cluster
                servers, which means they must be restarted for the redeployment to work.

Thanks for any experiences.

--Kevin

• 1. Re: Deployment and Redeployment
          Currently we will deploy any application we found in applications directly
                    directly on admin server,
                    no matter if admin server was chosen to be a target or not. We should probably
                    just discover
                    the application, but then let somebody choose the targets from admin server
                    console

The applications directory was designed to only work on the admin server. The
                    whole purpose
                    of it was to have a place to quickly test stuff during development in a single
                    server mode.

so, setting a target other than the admin server isn't supposed to work.

--
                    Kumar

Kevin Lewis wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
                    >
                    > How are you deploying your apps? Are you using the weblogic.deploy tool (do
                    > you use -component with your cluster as a target?)? The console? Or do you
                    > just copy your archive to the applications directory? There really doesn't
                    > seem to be much in the WebLogic docs about clustered deployment; just an
                    > emphasis on homogeneity.
                    >
                    > Should redeployment across a cluster even work?
                    >
                    > I've been redeploying an application to my cluster by copying it to the
                    > applications directory for my domain (it's a .ear) on the box where my admin
                    > server is running. The first time I deployed it, I targeted it to my
                    > cluster.
                    >
                    > This pretty much works, but doesn't work great. Every time I redeploy (copy
                    > a new version of the file to the directory), I get errors on the cluster
                    > servers, which means they must be restarted for the redeployment to work.
                    >
                    > Thanks for any experiences.
                    >
                    > --Kevin

• 2. Re: Deployment and Redeployment
            I've filed a bug report regarding redeploying an app targetted to a managed servers causing
                      automatic targetting by the admin server.

I've also witnessed redeploying an app targetted to a cluster causing stub CNF exceptions, even
                      though my ejbs are clearly homogenously deployed across the cluster. If I replicate this again, I
                      will file another report.

Gene

"Kevin Lewis" <klewis@AxysSolutions.com> wrote in message news:3ac4a00f$1@newsgroups.bea.com...
                      > Hi, everyone.
                      >
                      > How are you deploying your apps? Are you using the weblogic.deploy tool (do
                      > you use -component with your cluster as a target?)? The console? Or do you
                      > just copy your archive to the applications directory? There really doesn't
                      > seem to be much in the WebLogic docs about clustered deployment; just an
                      > emphasis on homogeneity.
                      >
                      > Should redeployment across a cluster even work?
                      >
                      > I've been redeploying an application to my cluster by copying it to the
                      > applications directory for my domain (it's a .ear) on the box where my admin
                      > server is running. The first time I deployed it, I targeted it to my
                      > cluster.
                      >
                      > This pretty much works, but doesn't work great. Every time I redeploy (copy
                      > a new version of the file to the directory), I get errors on the cluster
                      > servers, which means they must be restarted for the redeployment to work.
                      >
                      > Thanks for any experiences.
                      >
                      > --Kevin
                      >
                      >

• 3. Re: Deployment and Redeployment
              Thanks for the reply, Kumar.

What do you recommend instead of copying to the applications directory?

--Kevin

"Kumar Allamraju" <kumar.allamraju@bea.com> wrote in message
                        news:3AC4D592.CACD5AA9@bea.com...
                        > Currently we will deploy any application we found in applications directly
                        > directly on admin server,
                        > no matter if admin server was chosen to be a target or not. We should
                        probably
                        > just discover
                        > the application, but then let somebody choose the targets from admin
                        server
                        > console
                        >
                        > The applications directory was designed to only work on the admin server.
                        The
                        > whole purpose
                        > of it was to have a place to quickly test stuff during development in a
                        single
                        > server mode.
                        >
                        > so, setting a target other than the admin server isn't supposed to work.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Kumar
                        >
                        > Kevin Lewis wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi, everyone.
                        > >
                        > > How are you deploying your apps? Are you using the weblogic.deploy tool
                        (do
                        > > you use -component with your cluster as a target?)? The console? Or do
                        you
                        > > just copy your archive to the applications directory? There really
                        doesn't
                        > > seem to be much in the WebLogic docs about clustered deployment; just an
                        > > emphasis on homogeneity.
                        > >
                        > > Should redeployment across a cluster even work?
                        > >
                        > > I've been redeploying an application to my cluster by copying it to the
                        > > applications directory for my domain (it's a .ear) on the box where my
                        admin
                        > > server is running. The first time I deployed it, I targeted it to my
                        > > cluster.
                        > >
                        > > This pretty much works, but doesn't work great. Every time I redeploy
                        (copy
                        > > a new version of the file to the directory), I get errors on the cluster
                        > > servers, which means they must be restarted for the redeployment to
                        work.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for any experiences.
                        > >
                        > > --Kevin
                        >

• 4. Re: Deployment and Redeployment
                I'm guessing the only approved way to do this is to use the console. It
                          doesn't seem that the weblogic.deploy tool likes cluster names as targets.

I tried deploying with the deploy tool, targeting things with the console,
                          and then updating with the deploy tool. However, on update, the deploy tool
                          doesn't return for a while, then displays the error:

Giving up after waiting more than 2 minutes

Or, sometimes, the exception:
                          javax.management.RuntimeErrorException: Error thrown by the setAttribute
                          weblogi
                          c.management.internal.WebLogicAttribute@516dedmethod of the Dynamic MBean
                          <<no stack trace available>>
                          java.lang.NullPointerException
                          at weblogic.deploy.deployApplication(deploy.java:420)
                          at weblogic.deploy.deploy(deploy.java:367)
                          at weblogic.deploy.runBody(deploy.java:222)
                          at weblogic.utils.compiler.Tool.run(Tool.java:81)
                          at weblogic.deploy.main(deploy.java:1036)

Overall, I'd say redeployment to a cluster needs some clarification. I
                          don't think it works under any circumstance while the cluster is up.

--Kevin

"Kevin Lewis" <klewis@AxysSolutions.com> wrote in message
                          news:3ac87495$1@newsgroups.bea.com...
                          > Thanks for the reply, Kumar.
                          >
                          > What do you recommend instead of copying to the applications directory?
                          >
                          > --Kevin
                          >
                          > "Kumar Allamraju" <kumar.allamraju@bea.com> wrote in message
                          > news:3AC4D592.CACD5AA9@bea.com...
                          > > Currently we will deploy any application we found in applications
                          directly
                          > > directly on admin server,
                          > > no matter if admin server was chosen to be a target or not. We should
                          > probably
                          > > just discover
                          > > the application, but then let somebody choose the targets from admin
                          > server
                          > > console
                          > >
                          > > The applications directory was designed to only work on the admin
                          server.
                          > The
                          > > whole purpose
                          > > of it was to have a place to quickly test stuff during development in a
                          > single
                          > > server mode.
                          > >
                          > > so, setting a target other than the admin server isn't supposed to work.
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > > Kumar
                          > >
                          > > Kevin Lewis wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Hi, everyone.
                          > > >
                          > > > How are you deploying your apps? Are you using the weblogic.deploy
                          tool
                          > (do
                          > > > you use -component with your cluster as a target?)? The console? Or
                          do
                          > you
                          > > > just copy your archive to the applications directory? There really
                          > doesn't
                          > > > seem to be much in the WebLogic docs about clustered deployment; just
                          an
                          > > > emphasis on homogeneity.
                          > > >
                          > > > Should redeployment across a cluster even work?
                          > > >
                          > > > I've been redeploying an application to my cluster by copying it to
                          the
                          > > > applications directory for my domain (it's a .ear) on the box where my
                          > admin
                          > > > server is running. The first time I deployed it, I targeted it to my
                          > > > cluster.
                          > > >
                          > > > This pretty much works, but doesn't work great. Every time I redeploy
                          > (copy
                          > > > a new version of the file to the directory), I get errors on the
                          cluster
                          > > > servers, which means they must be restarted for the redeployment to
                          > work.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks for any experiences.
                          > > >
                          > > > --Kevin
                          > >
                          >
                          >