1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2008 1:23 PM by 666705

New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"

Hi,

I'm just starting with WebLogic 9.2, and I have WebLogic 9.2 installed on two machines.

I ran Configuration Wizard on the admin server machine to create a domain with a cluster ("clust") with two managed servers ("man1" and "man2).

However, when I go into the Admin Console on my admin server, and try to start the managed servers, I am getting:

"For server man1, the Node Manager associated with machine mach2 is not reachable."

In the nodemanager.log on the managed server machine, I get:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: Domain directory 'C:\bea\weblogic92\common\nodemanager\portalDomain5' invalid (domain salt file not found)
           at weblogic.nodemanager.server.DomainManager.initialize(DomainManager.java:71)
           at weblogic.nodemanager.server.DomainManager.<init>(DomainManager.java:43)
           at weblogic.nodemanager.server.NMServer.getDomainManager(NMServer.java:239)
           at weblogic.nodemanager.server.Handler.handleDomain(Handler.java:210)
           at weblogic.nodemanager.server.Handler.handleCommand(Handler.java:105)
           at weblogic.nodemanager.server.Handler.run(Handler.java:66)
           at java.lang.Thread.run()V(Unknown Source)

Is there something else that I have to do to create the managed servers besides just running the Configuration Wizard and creating the domain with the managed servers, cluster, and machine?

I could have sworn that when I did this with WebLogic 8.1 awhile ago, that just running the Configuration Wizard to create the domain was enough, but it seems like with WebLogic 9.2, the Configuration Wizard isn't creating any of the files, etc. for the managed servers on the managed server machine?

Thanks,
      Jim
        • 1. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
          Hi,

I've gotten by the 'not reachable' problem, but still can't start the managed server because of some kind of problem with 'boot.properties':

####<Apr 8, 2007 8:41:39 PM EDT> <Critical> <Security> <tempad> <man1> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '0' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <> <1176079299808> <BEA-090402> <Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.>
          ####<Apr 8, 2007 8:41:39 PM EDT> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <tempad> <man1> <Main Thread> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <> <1176079299808> <BEA-000386> <Server subsystem failed. Reason: weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.
          weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.
               at weblogic.security.service.CommonSecurityServiceManagerDelegateImpl.doBootAuthorization(CommonSecurityServiceManagerDelegateImpl.java:941)
               at weblogic.security.service.CommonSecurityServiceManagerDelegateImpl.initialize(CommonSecurityServiceManagerDelegateImpl.java:1029)
               at weblogic.security.service.SecurityServiceManager.initialize(SecurityServiceManager.java:849)
               at weblogic.security.SecurityService.start(SecurityService.java:141)
               at weblogic.t3.srvr.SubsystemRequest.run(SubsystemRequest.java:64)
               at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:209)
               at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:181)
          >
          ####<Apr 8, 2007 8:41:40 PM EDT> <Notice> <WebLogicServer> <tempad> <man1> <Main Thread> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <> <1176079300349> <BEA-000365> <Server state changed to FAILED>

I've set the C:\bea\weblogic92\common\nodemanager\portalDomain5\servers\man1\data\nodemanager\boot.properties to the correct username/password in the clear, and when I try to start the managed server, that file does get encrypted, so I don't understand why this is not working? Normally, I think, if the boot.properties contents get encrypted, doesn't this indicate that the authentication of the admin user worked?

If so, any ideas why I'm getting this error?

Thanks,
          Jim
          • 2. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
            Restart the administration server; at least that worked for me; I found this by looking at the "Security" tab of the managed server, where it said, that a change in the security context required that the administration server be restarted. I did this, and everything ran smoothly.

Good luck!

Mitko
            • 3. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
              Hi,

I'm new to weblogic and trying to setup a clustered environment.
              When i try to run the clustered servers, i'm facing the following problem:
              For server Server-0, the Node Manager associated with machine Machine-0 is not reachable.

Could anyone throw some light on this issue.

Thanks,
              Ben.
              • 4. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                web logic <> wrote:
                Hi,

I'm new to weblogic and trying to setup a clustered environment.
                When i try to run the clustered servers, i'm facing the following problem:
                For server Server-0, the Node Manager associated with machine Machine-0 is
                not reachable.

Could anyone throw some light on this issue.

Thanks,
                Ben.
                Hi,

What error message are you receiving?

B

--
                Schelstraete Bart
                bart@schelstraete.org
                http://www.schelstraete.org
                • 5. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                  I too have weblogic 9.2 mp1, and have 2 managed servers in a cluster. While startup, one managed server starts just fine, but the other one fails with the same authentication error as below,

<Feb 25, 2008 3:40:04 PM CST> <Critical> <Security> <BEA-090402> <Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.>
                  <Feb 25, 2008 3:40:04 PM CST> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000386> <Server subsystem failed. Reason: weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.
                  weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.

I tried changing the boot.properties, and as mentioned in one of the thread i even stopped and restarted the admin, but the problem still persists.

Anybody faced this issue before? Can someone share any resolution pls?

Thanks,
                  Anitha
                  • 6. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not  reachable"
                    Can you boot the server if the boot.properties file does not exist?

How did you change the boot.properties file?

There are command line options to create a boot.properties from the username
                    and password specified on the command line.You may want to try those.

<anitha ramamoorthy> wrote in message news:300014942@newsgroups.bea.com...
                    I too have weblogic 9.2 mp1, and have 2 managed servers in a cluster. While
                    startup, one managed server starts just fine, but the other one fails with
                    the same authentication error as below,

<Feb 25, 2008 3:40:04 PM CST> <Critical> <Security> <BEA-090402>
                    <Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or
                    password from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The
                    boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was
                    created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper
                    values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity
                    file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.>
                    <Feb 25, 2008 3:40:04 PM CST> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000386>
                    <Server subsystem failed. Reason:
                    weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied:
                    Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot
                    identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have
                    been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and
                    update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and
                    password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the
                    server, these new values are encrypted.
                    weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied:
                    Boot identity not valid; The user name and/or password from the boot
                    identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have
                    been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and
                    update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and
                    password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the
                    server, these new values are encrypted.

I tried changing the boot.properties, and as mentioned in one of the thread
                    i even stopped and restarted the admin, but the problem still persists.

Anybody faced this issue before? Can someone share any resolution pls?

Thanks,
                    Anitha
                    • 7. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                      Hi
                      I have the same problem, I have installed bea in solaris,
                      I have created a new domain and is starting perfectly.
                      But i was trying to create a Managed Server but i cannot able to start the managed server. I am getting this error.. Kindly need a help on this.
                      I have used admin user/pass......

crosystems Inc.>
                      <Apr 15, 2008 1:44:57 PM PDT> <Info> <Security> <BEA-090065> <Getting boot identity from user.>
                      Enter username to boot WebLogic server:admin
                      Enter password to boot WebLogic server:
                      <Apr 15, 2008 1:45:02 PM PDT> <Info> <Management> <BEA-141107> <Version: WebLogic Server 10.0 Wed May 9 18:10:27 EDT 2007 933139 >
                      <Apr 15, 2008 1:45:05 PM PDT> <Info> <Management> <BEA-141223> <The server name RFEProduction specified with -Dweblogic.Name does not exist. The configuration includes the following servers {AdminServer,Server-0}.>
                      <Apr 15, 2008 1:45:05 PM PDT> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000362> <Server failed. Reason:

There are 1 nested errors:

weblogic.management.ManagementException: [Management:141223]The server name RFEProduction specified with -Dweblogic.Name does not exist. The configuration includes the following servers {AdminServer,Server-0}.
                      at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessImpl.<init>(RuntimeAccessImpl.java:148)
                      at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessService.start(RuntimeAccessService.java:38)
                      at weblogic.t3.srvr.ServerServicesManager.startService(ServerServicesManager.java:378)
                      at weblogic.t3.srvr.ServerServicesManager.startInStandbyState(ServerServicesManager.java:125)
                      at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initializeStandby(T3Srvr.java:647)
                      at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.startup(T3Srvr.java:419)
                      at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:377)
                      at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:67)

Thanks and Regards
                      Lakshmanan N

--
                      Thanks and Regards
                      Laks
                      • 8. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                        Did you specify the name of the managed server?
                        You need to use, for example: ./startManagedWeblogic.sh Server1

--
                        Schelstraete Bart
                        bart@schelstraete.org
                        http://www.linkedin.com/in/bschelst
                        • 9. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                          Hi
                          Yes this time i got this error
                          <br> i used ./startManagedWebLogic.sh ms1 http://localhost:9002

<br>
                          <Apr 15, 2008 2:06:19 PM PDT> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000386> <Server subsystem failed. Reason: weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication for user admin denied
                          weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication for user admin denied
                          at weblogic.security.service.CommonSecurityServiceManagerDelegateImpl.doBootAuthorization(Unknown Source)
                          at weblogic.security.service.CommonSecurityServiceManagerDelegateImpl.initialize(Unknown Source)
                          at weblogic.security.service.SecurityServiceManager.initialize(Unknown Source)
                          at weblogic.security.SecurityService.start(SecurityService.java:141)
                          at weblogic.t3.srvr.SubsystemRequest.run(SubsystemRequest.java:64)
                          Truncated. see log file for complete stacktrace
                          >
                          <Apr 15, 2008 2:06:19 PM PDT> <Notice> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000365> <Server state changed to FAILED>
                          <Apr 15, 2008 2:06:19 PM PDT> <Error> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000383> <A critical service failed. The server will shut itself down>
                          <Apr 15, 2008 2:06:19 PM PDT> <Notice> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000365> <Server state changed to FORCE_SHUTTING_DOWN>

$

--
                          Thanks and Regards
                          Laks

--
                          Edited by n.lakshmanan at 04/15/2008 2:11 PM
                          • 10. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                            <Server subsystem failed. Reason: weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication for user admin denied
                            As it says..you don't use the correct userid/password.

--
                            Schelstraete Bart
                            bart@schelstraete.org
                            • 11. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                              Hi

I have used my domain admin user/password
                              Is it the same or something different?

--
                              Thanks and Regards
                              Laks
                              • 12. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                                It's indeed your admin userid/password, or an account who has the privileges to stop/start a managed server.

btw...http://localhost:9002 should be your administration server

"./startManagedWebLogic.sh ms1 http://localhost:9002"

--
                                Schelstraete Bart
                                bart@schelstraete.org
                                • 13. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not reachable"
                                  The adminserver can start and stop the manages service right but if i try to start the managed server i am getting this error message in the web cosole

<font color="blue"> For server Server-0, the Node Manager associated with machine Machine-0 is not reachable.
                                  All of the servers selected are currently in a state which is incompatible with this operation or are not associated with a running Node Manager or you are not authorized to perform the action requested. No action will be performed.
                                  </font>

--
                                  Thanks and Regards
                                  Laks
                                  • 14. Re: New domain - Managed servers always "not  reachable"
                                    Have you configured and started the node manager?

<Lakshmanan Narayanan> wrote in message news:570001899@newsgroups.bea.com...
                                    The adminserver can start and stop the manages service right but if i try to
                                    start the managed server i am getting this error message in the web cosole

<font color="blue"> For server Server-0, the Node Manager associated with
                                    machine Machine-0 is not reachable.
                                    All of the servers selected are currently in a state which is incompatible
                                    with this operation or are not associated with a running Node Manager or you
                                    are not authorized to perform the action requested. No action will be
                                    performed.
                                    </font>

--
                                    Thanks and Regards
                                    Laks
                                    1 2 Previous Next