1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2008 9:06 AM by 666705

BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3

BEA WebLogic Server Tools is a set of free plugins for the Eclipse 3.3 "Europa" designed to help develop, deploy and debug applications for BEA WebLogic Server.

Key Features</B>
      <UL>
      <LI>Supports versions 10.0, 9.x and 8.1 of BEA WebLogic Server.
      <LI>Utilizes WLS-proprietary "split-source" deployment facility to dramatically increase iterative development performance for large applications.
      <LI>Includes tools for using WebLogic J2EE Libraries from Eclipse projects.
      </UL>
      <B>Get it now </B>
      For more information and to download WebLogic Server Tools, visit the following website. This URL is also an Eclipse update site.
      https://dev2devclub.bea.com/updates/eclipse-3.3/wls-plugins/

<B>BEA Workshop</B><BR>
      To get access to even more great features, download a copy of BEA Workshop (currently based on Eclipse 3.2 platform).<BR>
      BEA Workshop Studio 10.1<BR>
      BEA Workshop for WebLogic 10.1

--
      Edited by phumphrey at 07/18/2007 6:41 PM
        • 1. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
          Downloaded Eclipse 3.3, install the plugins, managed to add the server (WLS 8.1) and start it. But thats where it all ended.

How do I utilise the WLS 'split source' deployment facility? While adding the server, I was given a screen to add project, I've a project in my domain, but it wasn't recognised.

Tried peeking into the help document of the plugins but not much help's there.

Anyone knows where to find the real help documents?
          • 2. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
            Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
            Downloaded Eclipse 3.3, install the plugins, managed to add the server (WLS 8.1) and start it. But thats where it all ended.

How do I utilise the WLS 'split source' deployment facility? While adding the server, I was given a screen to add project, I've a project in my domain, but it wasn't recognised.

Tried peeking into the help document of the plugins but not much help's there.

Anyone knows where to find the real help documents?
            What kind of a project is it? When you say you have a project in your
            domain, do you mean the project is in your Eclipse workspace?

- Konstantin
            • 3. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
              In my WLS user_projects domain, I'd an exploded project. I also have the src project in Eclipse.

How do I make it a split environment WLS project?
              • 4. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
                In my WLS user_projects domain, I'd an exploded project. I also have the src project in Eclipse.

How do I make it a split environment WLS project?
                I suspect the problem you are having is that the type of project you
                created in Eclipse is not being recognized as a compatible project. If
                your project is a web app, you will want to use a Dynamic Web Project.
                Note that once you have the right project type, WLS Tools will handle
                the deployment and any split-source setup for you. There is no need to
                manually set that up. In fact, placing your exploded project manually
                inside the domain may interfere with deployment performed by WLS Tools.

Here is what I'd try:

1. Create a new Dynamic Web Project. Make sure to select your WLS 8.1
                server in the Target Runtime drop-down on the first page.

2. Copy your web app's source into the new project's WebContent or java
                source directory (src) as appropriate based on the content.

3. Delete/undeploy the exploded project that is in the domain.

4. Open the Servers view in Eclipse. Right click on the WLS 8.1 server
                and select "Add/Remove Projects". You should be able to add the project
                you created in step 1. It will be automatically published when the
                server is started.

Hope this helps,

- Konstantin
                • 5. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                  So by publishing or running the JSP/servlet/EJB on the server, the WLS plugin will take care of doing the splitdir environment setup behind the scenes automatically?
                  • 6. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                    Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
                    So by publishing or running the JSP/servlet/EJB on the server, the WLS plugin will take care of doing the splitdir environment setup behind the scenes automatically?
                    That's right.
                    • 7. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                      I created a EAR project and tried to add an EJB Jar file to it, and gotten the message "The selected runtime does not support the version of the archive."

What does this means?
                      • 8. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                        Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
                        I created a EAR project and tried to add an EJB Jar file to it, and gotten the message "The selected runtime does not support the version of the archive."

What does this means?
                        Could you give me a bit more details about exactly what you tried? For
                        instance, which screen did you use to add the EJB Jar file to the EAR
                        project? At what point did you get the message? Anything special about
                        your EJB jar file? Note that WLS 8.1 is a Java EE 1.3 server, so if your
                        EJB uses 1.4 version of the Java EE spec, that might be the problem that
                        you are seeing. You can check the version by looking at the namespace
                        URL referenced in the EJB descriptor file.

- Konstantin
                        • 9. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3 - unable to deploy
                          i do not manage to deploy a ejb-2.1-project to a weblogic 10 server. it is no difference if deployed directly or via EAR-Project.

the message is:

eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
                          java.version=1.6.0_02
                          java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                          BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_CH
                          Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

Error
                          Wed Jul 25 14:55:25 CEST 2007
                          Deployment Manager with URI, 'deployer:WebLogic:localhost:7001' and user, 'weblogic' cannot be created.javax.enterprise.deploy.spi.exceptions.DeploymentManagerCreationException
                          Module named 'test' failed to undeploy. Undeploy that module using the Server Overview or WebLogic Server Administration Console.
                          Deployment Manager with URI, 'deployer:WebLogic:localhost:7001' and user, 'weblogic' cannot be created.
                          • 10. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3 - unable to deploy
                            Diego,

There is a known issue with running Eclipse on a 1.6 Java VM and
                            deploying to WLS 9.2 or 10.0. Take a look at the following bug report
                            for information on the change that you can make to your eclipse.ini file
                            to get this to work.

http://bugzilla.bea.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5

Let me know if you have problems with this work around. Automatic
                            configuration fixup will be in the next service release of WLS Tools.

- Konstantin
                            • 11. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3 - unable to deploy
                              the fix works!
                              thanks a lot
                              Diego
                              • 12. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                                Hey,

I'm having a few problems. Let's start with what I have:
                                - Eclipse 3.3 Europa
                                - WLS Tools
                                - JDK 1.5.0_06
                                - Weblogic 10.0

I'm trying to create an Eclipse workspace with Web project 2.4, EJB 3.0 and EAR "5.0", and make it deployable as a split-source EAR.

And here's the problems:

- Without WLS Tools I can create EJB 3.0 project, but when I choose WLS 10.0 as a runtime, I can only create an EJB 2.0 XDoclet project. Is this a known issue?

- I created Dynamic Web Application and an EAR project that has the Web App as a dependency.
                                Then I created a WLS 10.0 server in Eclipse, added the EAR project to server (Add and remove projects...) and tried to start the server. The server starts, but it won't deploy the ear because it cannot find the WLS _9.0_ schema, which is referenced from weblogic-application.xml for some reason.
                                Now, why does it reference 9.0 level schema in the first place? Should that schema be included somewhere in the WLS Tools package or should my Eclipse be able to download it from BEA website "on the fly" ?

- I compared the directory structure in my Eclipse workspace against the structure defined here: http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs100/programming/splitcreate.html
                                Of course, the structure inside my workspace is exactly as Eclipse does it with or without WLS Tools. The split-source documentation describes a little different structure. Is the WLS Tools package supposed to do split-source deployments from the Eclipse standard directory structure?

(In Eclipse EAR project is not "mother" for other projets as in split-source structure.
                                In Eclipse WAR project has a WebContent sub-directory, which split-source structure should not have etc..)

--
                                --
                                pete
                                • 13. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                                  Pete,

Thanks for trying WebLogic Server Tools. See my comments inline...

Pete Hakkarainen wrote:
                                  Hey,

I'm having a few problems. Let's start with what I have:
                                  - Eclipse 3.3 Europa
                                  - WLS Tools
                                  - JDK 1.5.0_06
                                  - Weblogic 10.0

I'm trying to create an Eclipse workspace with Web project 2.4, EJB 3.0 and EAR "5.0", and make it deployable as a split-source EAR.

And here's the problems:

- Without WLS Tools I can create EJB 3.0 project, but when I choose WLS 10.0 as a runtime, I can only create an EJB 2.0 XDoclet project. Is this a known issue?
                                  WLS Tools does not yet work with Java EE 5 project artifacts (EJB 3.0
                                  and EAR 5.0). This support is on the roadmap for future WLS Tools
                                  releases. I created a tracking enhancement request in our public bug
                                  tracking system. You may want to add yourself to the CC list so that you
                                  can get status updates.

http://bugzilla.bea.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13
                                  - I created Dynamic Web Application and an EAR project that has the Web App as a dependency.
                                  Then I created a WLS 10.0 server in Eclipse, added the EAR project to server (Add and remove projects...) and tried to start the server. The server starts, but it won't deploy the ear because it cannot find the WLS _9.0_ schema, which is referenced from weblogic-application.xml for some reason.
                                  Now, why does it reference 9.0 level schema in the first place? Should that schema be included somewhere in the WLS Tools package or should my Eclipse be able to download it from BEA website "on the fly" ?
                                  The issue of 10.0 projects making references to 9.0 schemas in
                                  weblogic.xml and weblogic-aplication.xml is a known bug, but we have not
                                  seen that cause problems until now. I surfaced a tracking bug in our
                                  public bug tracking system and we will post updates there once we known
                                  more about which release this will be fixed in.

http://bugzilla.bea.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14

Could you provide more details as to the nature of the problem that you
                                  are seeing? Such as the exact error message that you get from WLS and
                                  whether the machine you are seeing this on is connected to the internet.
                                  We may have to engage WLS support on this.
                                  - I compared the directory structure in my Eclipse workspace against the structure defined here: http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs100/programming/splitcreate.html
                                  Of course, the structure inside my workspace is exactly as Eclipse does it with or without WLS Tools. The split-source documentation describes a little different structure. Is the WLS Tools package supposed to do split-source deployments from the Eclipse standard directory structure?

(In Eclipse EAR project is not "mother" for other projets as in split-source structure.
                                  In Eclipse WAR project has a WebContent sub-directory, which split-source structure should not have etc..)
                                  Here is a bit of background on the "split-source" feature that you might
                                  find useful. In version 8.1, BEA introduced the basic split-source
                                  structure that allowed the source and generated artifacts to be kept
                                  separate and linked together via a single entry in a .beabuild.txt file.
                                  While powerful for certain use cases, the structure was not flexible
                                  enough since it required that both source and generated artifacts be
                                  arranged into directory structures that parallel the structure of an
                                  exploaded EAR. So in 9.2, we set out to improve this feature. The goal
                                  was to make it possible to have pieces of source and generated artifacts
                                  in pretty much arbitrary locations and then use a descriptor file (we
                                  expanded facilities of .beabuild.txt) to bring it all together.
                                  Basically, .beabuild.txt would contain many entries that map physical
                                  locations to relative locations inside a "Virtual EAR". For historical
                                  reasons, the name "split-source" was also used to describe the new
                                  feature, even though the name doesn't accurately describe the feature
                                  any longer. As far as I know, WLS never documented this. As you found,
                                  the 10.0 docs still document the 8.1-style split-source, which is still
                                  supported.

Here is what .beabuild.txt looks like for a simple application composed
                                  of ear and web projects.

D\:/workspaces/temp/newsgroup/MyEar/EarContent/APP-INF/classes =
                                  APP-INF/classes
                                  D\:/workspaces/temp/newsgroup/WebApp/WebContent = WebApp.war
                                  D\:/workspaces/temp/newsgroup/WebApp/build/classes =
                                  WebApp.war/WEB-INF/classes

You can find this file generated by WLS Tools in a temp location similar to:

D:\workspaces\temp\newsgroup\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.projects\MyEar\beadep\base_domain\MyEar

That was probably more information than you wanted. The main thing to
                                  understand about split-source and WLS Tools is that it happens under the
                                  covers for you. You don't have to do anything different. Layout the
                                  projects the way it makes sense for you and WLS Tools will setup the
                                  necessary split-source structure to minimize the time it takes to do a
                                  publish/deploy during iterative development.
                                  • 14. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                                    Can we use this plugin with Eclipse 3.2?
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next