3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2008 1:50 PM by 3004

Can't install JRockit on Linux with non-executable /tmp directory

Hi,

I downloaded a copy of JRockit for evaluating it against Sun's JRE.
      However, when I try to install it, I run into a problem. I notice that the
      .bin file is trying to extract itself to the /tmp directory and then execute
      something from within the /tmp dir. However, for security purposes, my /tmp
      dir is a non-executable mount. Consequently, when I try to extract/install
      JRockit, I justly get the following error:

sh: jre150_12/bin/java: Permission denied
      ** Error during execution, error code = 32256.

How can I control the extraction point of the .bin file? Is there a command
      line setting that I can use?

Thanks,

Eric
        • 1. Re: Can't install JRockit on Linux with non-executable /tmp directory
          Hi Eric,

Don't know the answer to your specific question, but as a workaround, you can extract the installer content manually using eg unzip. Inside, you will find a zip archive that can be extracted to create the JRockit installation directory structure. There are also 3rd party distributions of JRockit repackaged in RPM format available on the web.

-- Henrik
          • 2. Re: Can't install JRockit on Linux with non-executable /tmp directory
            Hi Henrick,

Don't I feel stupid. I didn't realize it was a simple zip archive.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious! :)

Eric

"Henrik Stahl" <hstahl@bea.com> wrote in message
            news:300012689@newsgroups.bea.com...
            Hi Eric,

Don't know the answer to your specific question, but as a workaround, you
            can extract the installer content manually using eg unzip. Inside, you will
            find a zip archive that can be extracted to create the JRockit installation
            directory structure. There are also 3rd party distributions of JRockit
            repackaged in RPM format available on the web.

-- Henrik
            • 3. Re: Can't install JRockit on Linux with non-executable /tmp directory
              Eric,

You can pass the system property -Djava.io.tmpdir=<extractiondir> to the
              JRockit installer to use a different directory than the default /tmp.

Best regards,

/Robert

"Eric B." <ebenze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
              news:300012672@newsgroups.bea.com...
              Hi,

I downloaded a copy of JRockit for evaluating it against Sun's JRE.
              However, when I try to install it, I run into a problem. I notice that the
              .bin file is trying to extract itself to the /tmp directory and then execute
              something from within the /tmp dir. However, for security purposes, my /tmp
              dir is a non-executable mount. Consequently, when I try to extract/install
              JRockit, I justly get the following error:

sh: jre150_12/bin/java: Permission denied
              ** Error during execution, error code = 32256.

How can I control the extraction point of the .bin file? Is there a command
              line setting that I can use?

Thanks,

Eric