1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 6, 2009 4:06 AM by 678339 RSS

migration from sql server to oracle db

Oranats-Oracle
      I would like to hear about possible options of migrate JD Edwards on SQL Server (about 50GB) and want to convert to Oracle 9i/10g Release.

Please let me know the efforts required besides data migration. Did anyone done this migration on JDEdwards application and would like to hear the complexities involved in the SQL/Stored Proc/Trigger Conversions

thanks.
      --
        • 1. Re: migration from sql server to oracle db
          Hello
          the following are the steps that gives you overview on SQL db->Oracle db migration. However I strongly recommend you to take field consultant's support considering the complexities in data migration.

1. Create an Add on server plan for the new Database server.

2. Create the database and users in your database.

Create the DB's & JDE users in Oracle to hold the copies of the tables you want to keep. I would suggest creating DB's with the same names that JDE recommends within an NT/Oracle installation - see the Installation guide for details. Those names are as follows, however, you can put everything in one DB if you want:

JDE812

This holds System, Server Map, Object Librarian and Data Dictionary tables. For other releases this DB may be named JDE7333 (Xe), JDE7334 (ERP8), JDE9 (8.9), or PS811 (8.11).

JDE_PD812

This holds Central Objects and Versions tables. For other releases this DB may be called JDE_PD7333, JDE_PD7334, JDE_PD9, PS_PD811.

JDE_PRODUCTION

This holds the Control Tables and Business Data tables. For other releases this DB may be called JDE_Production (Xe, ERP8 & 8.9), PS_PROD (8.11).

Depending on the release you're running, you will have scripts on the deployment server under \JDEdwards\E812\database that can be edited to create these databases for you. You need to also create the users for these databases. See the Windows installation guide for the release you're working with to walk you through editing and running these scripts.

3. Create the new datasources and modify them accordingly.

Create new, custom Data Sources to point to those databases. For this I would suggest calling the Data Sources similar names to the original DS's. For example:

Business Data - PRODSQL

Control Tables - PRODSQL

Central Objects - PD812SQL

Versions - PD812SQL

System - 812SQL

Object Librarian - 812SQL

Data Dictionary - 812SQL

ENT - 812SQL Server Map (where ENT is the name of the server the DB is installed)

Note: You will need to install Host code to this server for communication to work between the old DB server and this new one.

Install the Windows Host code on this new server. See the Windows Installation guide, Installing Enterprise Server section, for more information. Make sure to install services and run porttest to make sure communication works from the new Enterprise server to the old Server and DB.

4. Finally to move the data from one server to another using R98403 version.

Run R98403 for the Data Sources of the tables you want to copy. There are different versions of R98403 that can be used to copy from one Data Source to another. I would suggest making a copy of the version and using that to change processing options and data selection.

Always have a verified backup of your Database before you run R98403 just in case something happens and you overwrite original data.