1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 8:28 PM by NitinSDarji

PO Outbound Interface - XML Gateway or e-Commerce Gateway

user530297
      Our client is implementing R12. Currently they are having PO Outbound interface for EDI in their legacy system.
      We are formulating the solution for this in R12. When we analyzed we could find that there are 2 solutions possible, either thru

1. Oracle e-Commerce Gateway.
      (or)
      2. Oracle XML Gateway.

From the developer guide, I am able to understand e-Commerce Gateway is a batch process and produces a flat file. XML Gateway is real time, event based and produces XML message.

In our case, batch process or real time is fine. But we need to know, what is the best practice to be followed (e-Commerce Gateway or XML Gateway) in R12. Also let us know any other pros and cons of these 2 options. Our requirement is to send New PO, PO Changes (after approval) to the supplier.
      In some of the documents, I could find that XML Gateway can process only Standard PO, Blanket Releases. E-Commerce gateway, can process all transaction types of PO such as Standard, Balnket Releases, Planned PO releases, Contract Blanket Order releases. Please let me know if my understanding of these limitatons is correct or not.

Thanks,
      Gowri.
        • 1. Re: PO Outbound Interface - XML Gateway or e-Commerce Gateway
          NitinSDarji
          Following are some of the pros of using XML Gateway:

1) XML is being accepted and more and more technologies are moving towards XML, so that "seems" to a future ready solution
          2) XML processing is real-time.
          3) Most of the maps for universally accepted standards are seeded in Oracle.
          4) You can use Oracle Supplier Network(Free service provided by Oracle) with your XML gateway to transmit/receive xml documents to a supplier who may or may not be accepting the format you are generating(e.g. if your PO is in OAG standard and your supplier is accepting cXML format, OSN takes care of translating your document)

You might want to consider these points while deciding the technology.

Nitin S. Darji