5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2009 6:37 AM by Satish Kandi RSS

DBA Staff KPI(s) - Measuring Performance

<font color="#333333"><font color="#000080"><strong>DBA Staff KPI(s) - Measuring Performance</strong></font>
      </font>
      <p>
      <font color="#333333">
      Hi,

I am an<strong> IT manager</strong>, <u>managing two solutions: "SCM" & "WMS (Warehouse Management System)"</u>, and there is a team for each solution.

<strong>DBA staff</strong> are involved, almost, with everything (database administration, handling system/application performance & stability, Application support, creating & automating reports for all levels, monitoring interfaces issues, troubleshooting, handling investigations for operations/management/business/research/system issues ...etc.)

Its not easy to identify their KPI(s) and the additional responsibilities.

<u>
      If you know some common KPI(s) that have been used before, I really appreciate if you can share them with me, so I can evaluate my team properly.</u>
      </font>
      </p>
      <p>
      <font color="#333333">
      Thanks ......

<em><strong>Regards,

Ala' </strong></em></font>
      </p>
        • 1. Re: DBA Staff KPI(s) - Measuring Performance
          ben23
          Just a comment that while your Subject says "DBA", the job responsibilities include many other things which are outside the definition of a DBA role, eg Application support, creating "reports" for "all" levels, troubleshooting "business" issues, etc

So what does "all" levels mean? Does that mean reports from the Application? or just the technical aspects of database administration like I/O, memory, latches etc. What does troubleshooting "business" issues mean? Does that mean identifying why the accounting books don't balance?

I understand that while the DBA role can be clearly defined in theory (Oracle Database Administrator's Guide - Task of a DBA), in practice many organizations, especially the smaller ones, are closer to what you have described. In such cases, the approach I'm familiar with has been to define as much as practicable the primary and secondary responsibilities of each position, and define the KPIs for the primary and make rather vague statements for the secondary role(s).
          • 2. Re: DBA Staff KPI(s) - Measuring Performance
            yakub21
            Very Insightful points listed.

I would say in summary, "It's Duties As Assigned..."

Additionally, one must continue to sharpen the saw in order to provide desired/expected support downstream.
            • 3. Re: DBA Staff KPI(s) - Measuring Performance
              Just a comment that while your Subject says "DBA", the job responsibilities include many other things which are outside the definition of a DBA role, eg Application support, creating "reports" for "all" levels, troubleshooting "business" issues, etc

So what does "all" levels mean? Does that mean reports from the Application? or just the technical aspects of database administration like I/O, memory, latches etc. What does troubleshooting "business" issues mean? Does that mean identifying why the accounting books don't balance?

I understand that while the DBA role can be clearly defined in theory (Oracle Database Administrator's Guide - Task of a DBA), in practice many organizations, especially the smaller ones, are closer to what you have described. In such cases, the approach I'm familiar with has been to define as much as practicable the primary and secondary responsibilities of each position, and define the KPIs for the primary and make rather vague statements for the secondary role(s).

Thank you that was valuable,
              So what does "all" levels mean?
              Answer: Application Reports go to all level of management, from department managers to senior mgmt and directors.
              It includes,

- Productivity measurements.
              - Identifying some of business requirements.
              - Creating/Building estimates for any CR.
              - Should be involved with warehouse expansions plans.
              - Reporting critical operations & inventory activities.
              - Building interactive reports.
              - Cost allocation, ... etc.

Then the normal DBA comes which includes I/O, memory, DB performance, application & DB users ... etc.

You are right: I can take their primary responsibilities to define their KPIs and leave secondary responsibilities on vague statements for the secondary role(s), so, I can evaluate them according to the primary part and leave the secondary part for them to compete on it.

Thanks again
              • 4. Re: DBA Staff KPI(s) - Measuring Performance
                Thanks for all your information
                • 5. Re: DBA Staff KPI(s) - Measuring Performance
                  Satish Kandi
                  Please ensure that the DBA staff is not judged by the non-DBA activities that they carry out. That would just be rude.