This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2009 6:06 PM by timtow RSS

Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install

679339 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have installed EPM System on my server successfully, but when it was installed Microsoft Office was not on the machine yet. Now that we have Excel (2007), when I open Excel there is no Essbase menu to use the Essbase Spreadsheet Add-in. (I do, however, have one Add-in, which is a Hyperion menu, which is Smart View I believe). I tried to manually manage the Add-ins by going to Excel Options > Add-ins > Manage: Excel Add-ins > Go, and then hit Browse to look for the following files for the Spreadsheet Add-in:

\Hyperion\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient\bin\essexcln.xll
and
\Hyperion\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient\bin\essxleqd.xla

These files are no where to be found in my directory. Is it possible that during installation, because Office was not on the machine, that these Excel extensions (.xll and .xla) where simply not added to the directory? Basically, I need to get the Spreadsheet Add-in up and running, and my Installation Wizard tells me that Essbase Client has already been successfully installed, and when I try to manually add the Excel Add-in, the above files are not there. Can anyone help me get the Spreadsheet working? I can provide more information if needed. Thank you.
  • 1. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    Scot W. Newbie
    You have to choose between using the Essbase Add In for Excel or Hyperion Smart View. If you read through the installation documents, including the read me docs, you'll see more information about it.
  • 2. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    679339 Newbie
    So because I have Smart View (since I have the Hyperion menu available in Excel, but not the Essbase menu), I cannot use the Excel Add-in? Can I switch, because all the guides I have been following, as well as a book about learning Essbase, have referenced the Spreadsheet Add-in and walked through scenarios of things to do with the Add-in, not the Smart View. I am a beginner with Essbase and trying to learn what it does, so following simple tutorials and walkthroughs, like the one with The Beverage Company, are very helpful in my learning process.
  • 3. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    Scot W. Newbie
    I have seen some users do some things to make them both work on your machine.

If you want to keep it simple, go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Hyperion Smart View. Then re-install the Essbase Client. Once that is completed you can open Excel and go find the Add In using the path mentioned above.

If you have the time Smart View has so much more functionality and is easier to use once some of the basics are set up.
  • 4. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    timtow Oracle ACE Director
    user3x3 wrote:
    \Hyperion\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient\bin\essexcln.xll
    In addition to this file, you will also need:

- The Essbase Runtime Client
    - An environment variable named ARBORPATH pointing to the the EssbaseClient directory; on my machine it is pointing to C:\Hyperion\products\Essbase\EssbaseClient.
    - Your PATH environment variable needs to have %ARBORPATH%\bin in it.

You can have both the classic Excel add-in and Smart View installed simultaneously. You probably wouldn't want to use both simultaneously.

Tim Tow
    Applied OLAP, Inc
  • 5. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    652349 Newbie
    Good day!

Go to Essbase -> Essbase Client -> Register Spreadsheet Add-in

I'm running both smartview and essbase add-in in my machine.

Hope this helps.

Edited by: 26FEB1986 on Jan 27, 2009 11:34 AM
  • 6. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    681786 Newbie
    Hi,

Issue with Excel add-in.

When i am trying to Add-in essxleqd and essexcln files to access Essbase through spreadsheet it is throwing an error as:

Excel Experienced a serious error the last time when the add-in 'hyperion essbase query designer was opened'

Please help me in resolving this error.

Edited by: user10720012 on Jan 27, 2009 6:22 PM
  • 7. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    Does the add-in function properly if you don't try to install the query designer?

Tim Tow
    Applied OLAP, Inc
  • 8. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    681786 Newbie
    Till Jan 20th I worked on it and it was working fine, By then I have installed just Hyperion Analytic services, Client and Administration console of version 9.3.1.
    On Jan 23rd I unistalled everything related to hyperion an installed freshly step by step to make planning work on my system which is having MS sql server 2005 and Windows XP as operating system. installing hyperion 9.3.1version

1.Shared services
    2.Essbase Server
    3.Client
    4.Administrator console
    5.Reporting and analysis
    i.services
    ii.servicesUI
    iii.Client
    6.Planning
    i.confugured EPMA
    ii.Configured planning.

After installing this, the essbase is working fine, but MAXL, ESSCmd and Spreadsheet is not working. I installed yesterday MS office 2003 and tried its giving me the same error. I have configured planning successfully but still the workspace is not showing the planning.
    I uninstall 2007 ms excel.

lot of issues.. Pls sugget me anything else I need to do to make my system work fine, So that I can learn as much as possible.
  • 9. Re: Essbase Excel Spreadsheet Add-in missing after install
    What is your ARBORPATH on your machine.. My thought is that is got messed up with all of the installs you have done..

Tim Tow
    Applied OLAP, Inc

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points