6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2011 8:55 AM by user11990458 RSS

Forms 4.5 V2 - style triggers

Hi,

I'm on a project that uses Forms 4.5 but uses V2 - style triggers and I can't find any documentation on these type of triggers. Could someone please point me in the right direction. I've looked in the 4.5 documentation but there is very little information apart from warning the developer not to use them! And i've tried searching the documentation library with little success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ritesh
        • 1. Re: Forms 4.5 V2 - style triggers
          Hi,
          As I recall (It was some time ago...), V2 triggers used only sql statments. It was beforr the plsql time...

V2 trigger used a 'step' mechanizem to maintain the logic. Step could have lable, so you could "go to" a specific step if the current trigger step fail or sucsess.
          Hi,
          As I recall (It was some time ago...), V2 triggers used only sql statements. It was before the plsql time...

V2 trigger used a 'step' mechanism to maintain the logic. Step could have label, so you could "go to" a specific step if the current trigger step fails or success. Something like:

Trigger name: …
          Select 'X'
          From dual
          Where &filed1 > &filed2
          Message if step failed:
          $next $end 'value 1 must be grater then value 2'
          Must value exists
          Yes
          $next
          Select … -- success action
          From…
          Message if step failed:
          good
          Must value exists
          no
          $end
          Select 'X'
          From dual
          Message if step failed:

Must value exists
          no

You could write quit complicated logic this way.

Menachem
          azgilad@hotmail.com
          • 2. Re: Forms 4.5 V2 - style triggers
            Hi,

Thanks for your help - it's strange Oracle don't provide the documentation for this!

Ritesh
            • 3. Re: Forms 4.5 V2 - style triggers
              Hi,

I've discovered some more information on this topic, however it's only available on paperback it seems....SQL Forms Designers Reference Version 3, Appendix F V2 Triggers.

It covers:

defining trigger steps
              trigger step characteristics
              commands in trigger steps
              V2 function codes
              the CASE statement
              variables in trigger steps
              V2 trigger processing

enjoy...

Ritesh
              • 4. Re: Forms 4.5 V2 - style triggers
                Nathan John Morgan
                I did an upgrade from Forms 2.3 to 10g. It would have been impossible without "Oracle SQL*FORMS Designer’s Guide Version 5.0 Part Number 3304-V3.0 0691". Particularly, as user8370315 points out, Appendix B "Translating Triggers into PL/SQL" and F "V2 Style Triggers". I googled it today and hit the following link to the PDF version

http://support.avaya.com/edoc/docs/convrnst/cnv5dsgn.pdf
                • 5. Re: Forms 4.5 V2 - style triggers
                  The document is not avaliable in the link you post, is the link correct?, or could you mail me the pdf please, mi mail is
                  humbertoarevalo@hotmail.es. I really need this thing, i will thank you a lot for your help!
                  • 6. Re: Forms 4.5 V2 - style triggers
                    user11990458
                    Hi,
                    I've found it in the same site: http://support.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/003675887

regards,
                    Fernando