9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2009 6:10 AM by -K- RSS

sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables

Hi,

I have a problem with sqldeveloper specifying an "order by" when previewing data for large tables.

It seems that during a previous session I have added a restrictive where clause and then ordered; the order has then been saved as a preference! It's a good way of upsetting my DBA :o)

- Is there a way to prevent sqldeveloper saving order preferences?
      - Is it safe to delete *TableSettings.xml under ~/.sqldeveloper/ without causing more problems?

Thanks!
      Tom
        • 1. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
          SueHarper
          Tom,

There is a reset preference for this, so no need to delete files. Go to Tools > Preferences. Expand Database >ObjectViewer Parameters and select the Clear button. This will clear the sort settings. We changed to maintain them due to customer requests, who said that each time they reopened the table they'd have to reapply the previous sort. We now recall the sort by default.

There is no danger in deleting files from the system folders as these are created when you initially start SQL Developer and are maintained as you work, so that your environment variables are persisted between sessions. The *Tablesettings.xml files you are after are in  <...>\Application Data\SQL Developer\system1.5.3.xx.xx\o.sqldeveloper.11.1.1.xx.xx

Sue
          • 2. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
            -K-
            Come on, you can't possibly expect everyone to clear all their settings all the time, especially just before opening a Data tab.
            Did you read my comments from last month in Re: verstion 1.5.1:  sort retention - how to permanently disable it?? ?

Please, this issue needs to be addressed! Just as Tom stated, the DBA will kill us for heavy requests, the head of department for being so long without advancing work, and we ourselves out of frustration and nervousness...

Thanks again for taking up interest,
            K.
            • 3. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
              Thanks. That solves my problem, until the next time I order by a non-PK.

I would suggest either adding a 'save' button to the 'Sort' dialog or a more general preferences tab for each table.

OR

A big 'stop' button for the 'Data' tab :-)

Is this the correct place to report issues or should I use metalink?

Thanks again!

Tom
              • 4. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
                -K-
                Either way, I think a stop button in the Data tab is a good idea, even for a voluntary filtered/ordered query.

As for reporting issues: feature requests should go to the SQL Developer Exchange (so others can add weight by voting), bugs to Metalink.

Regards,
                K.
                • 5. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
                  Guys, we are investigating the possible solutions. Will get back soon.
                  -Raghu
                  • 6. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
                    SueHarper
                    Kristof,

Yup, I did read that thread, I responded in which I included

"2. The SORT is retained. Actually this request was from the user base, as earlier releases did not retain the sort. This can be cleared, either through the preferences or by selecting the sort and clearing it there. (If you reorder the columns inthe data grid this is also remembered until you clear the settings using the preferences."

and you responded "2. I think I even voted for this feature. "

I know at the time of that thread you opened a new ER and we can make changes to the way it works. But when the request came in it was an easy option and there were no dissenters. None of this is serious, we hear your points and can look into the requests raised, my point is that voting against requests and adding comments is as useful to us as adding requests. In January we updated many of the requests, adding comments to all we touched and either accepting them for future releases or requesting votes or detail. None of these have been updated. There are many requests (to date 60), with no additional votes, either for or against the feature requests.

Tom,
                    Glad to have helped. We're looking at alternatives for the sort, which we should be able to address for 2.0

Yes, you can log queries and issues here. As Kristof is often quick to tell others on the forum, we don't always get to every thread as this is an active forum and we have a lot of helpful (including Kristof) responders. What is useful about the forum is that with all the good interaction, someone may have seen your bug and has a solution or knows that we already have it tracked. (or no-one else is experiencing your problem, as valuable an input). The development team do try to keep an eye on threads and log bugs and issues as and when we can. They need to balance developing code and spending time here. I can be on the road and so a few weeks can pass sometimes before I get back here, so logging a bug with Metalink means that you know it is definitely tracked. You have Metalink Support if you have a Database Support license.

Hope that helps.

Sue
                    • 7. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
                      I hadn't seen the other thread on the same subject. Thanks for pointing this out K and sorry to send a duplicate post.

Regards,
                      Tom
                      • 9. Re: sqldeveloper saving 'order by' on some tables
                        -K-
                        OK, thanks Sue. Just wanted to be sure you knew the implications (on top: response time), which obviously I myself didn't take in account when I voted for the sort retention :p
                        Importance of the issue and when to fix is of course entirely up to you guys. I won't give up on sqldev because of this, but will be glad not having to run into this anymore.
                        Anyway, I still stand behind the basic idea, so I'm eager to get to an acceptible compromise for everything involved.

Regards,
                        K.