8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 9:21 PM by JustinCave

DBlink issue from 9i to 11g

user594143
      I created Public DB Link from 9.2.0.8 to 11g database. And getting following error:
      ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
      ORA-02063: preceding line from TEST11

I tested sqlplus connection and it works fine.

Any suggestion?
        • 1. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
          check this:
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/network.111/b28531/authentication.htm#sthref232
          • 2. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
            JustinCave
            - Did you specify a fixed username & password in the database link definition? Or are you connecting as the current user?
            - Are you sure the username & password you're entering in SQL*Plus are the same as the username & password you specified in the database link?
            - 11g passwords, by default, are case sensitive. Prior releases were not case sensitive. Any chance you specified the wrong case when creating the database link?
            - Are you sure that the database link is connecting to the same database that you're testing via SQL*Plus?

Justin
            • 3. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
              Anand...
              Hi..

refer to metalink Doc ID: 549067.1

Sub:- ORA-01017 ORA-02063 : Accessing 11G Database Via Database Link

Anand
              • 4. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
                user594143
                Thanks I just found one more Metalink Note with workaround. Metalink Note: 473716.1

Looks like this 11g BUG after all.
                • 5. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
                  oradba
                  According to this note it's not a bug,it works as expected in 11g.

Werner
                  • 6. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
                    JustinCave
                    Looks like this 11g BUG after all.
                    Just to be clear, assuming the problem was case sensitive passwords, this is not a bug in Oracle. It is a change to the way Oracle validates passwords to increase security. The fix doesn't require patching the 11g database, it just requires creating the database link with the properly cased password.

Justin
                    • 7. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
                      user594143
                      Maybe. In past I always created DBLinks and specified password without double quotes and work around was to put double quote around password.

Pre 11g :

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK TEST11.WORLD
                      CONNECT TO DBLINK_USER
                      IDENTIFIED BY dblink_user
                      USING 'TEST11.WORLD'
                      /

And after reading this article I have to changed IDENTIFIED BY "dblink_user"
                      • 8. Re: DBlink issue from 9i to 11g
                        JustinCave
                        Right. Because Oracle always stores unquoted identifiers (in this case the password) in upper case. In the past, it didn't matter because the destination database didn't care about the password's case. Now that the destination database does care about the case of the password (assuming a default 11g install), you can no longer get away with using case-insensitive passwords in your database link definitions. If you create database links to non-Oracle databases (where passwords are generally case sensitive), you've always had to specify the password in double-quotes.

This is an expected outgrowth of the move to enhance security in 11g by making passwords case sensitive.

Justin
                        1 person found this helpful