3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2009 3:36 AM by TonyScalese

Help with skipping header row in .csv file during import

I have a .csv file that refuses to import correctly unless the header row is removed. The import script is made by a consultant who never got the files to import correctly. I have fiddled around with the importing function and managed to correctly import the GL file by deleting the header row. The header row does not include any scandinavian letters or other unconventional characters. I tried changing the File encoding in the Configurations settings from ASCII to UNICODE but that did not help. I would now need some help in making a simple skip script for the header row.

The header looks like this:

Company AccountingYear AccountingPeriod YearPeriodKey YearPeriod Account CodeB CodeC CodeD CodeH Amount Balance Activity

Any gurus out there that would help a newbie in desperate need of some FDM scripting guidance?
        • 1. Re: Help with skipping header row in .csv file during import
          Hello,

The header row shouldn't make any different truely. FDM imports based on if an 'amount' is present in that line/field where you told it to be.

How is it not importing correctly?

Thank you.
          • 2. Re: Help with skipping header row in .csv file during import
            I was thinking the same thing. The header ought to be metadata. FDM should be able to import but when a header row is present in the import file the import halts with Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 1, column 45 (Amount) and several Data access errors. When I delete the first row in the file, save the file as .csv and hit import it works with no errors. As far as I can tell it even parses the file correctly using an SQL table for parsing special accounts. The import script has been written by a consultant who, as far as I know, could not get it to work properly at the time. I am trying to fully understand the script but my vb and sql skills are somewhat limited.
            • 3. Re: Help with skipping header row in .csv file during import
              TonyScalese
              Make sure that the file you are importing is also saved in unicode code. This combined with the unicode configuration setting should make the file importable. If you post a copy of the file and script, you may get more assistance