14 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2009 12:53 AM by 471182 RSS

SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 17002

MickyMick
      Hi All.
      I hope someone can help.

I have recently installed Oracle XE on my Vista Ultimate laptop and it is up and running with no apparent problems. I then connected to the HR schema on XE with no problems using SQL Developer 1.2.1.3213 (OLD Version). I noticed that SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 (NEW version) was available and downloaded it (the offering without JDK included) and renamed the "C:\Program Files\SQLDeveloper" folder holding the older version to "C:\Program Files\SQLDeveloper_Orig" and placed the new version of SQL Developer in the Prog Files directory to give "C:\Program Files\SQLDeveloper".

I then ran SQLDeveloper.exe (NEW) and when requested gave the JDK path as "C:\Program Files\Java\JDK_1.6.0_11\bin\java.exe" ('Java -version' gives 1.6.0_11-b03) and migrated over the settings from the previous version of SQLDeveloper (OLD).
      The Application loads fine but when i attempt to connect to XE's HR schema i get the following error:

"IO Exception: Undefined Error
      VENDOR CODE 17002"

I have searched to try and find out what is going on but cannot find any solutions that work. The previous 17002 error solutions on this forumn have all failed.
      These included changing the JDK.conf file to hold route to JDK directory and also creating a 'bat' file.

My system does not have the directory for the JDK in it's PATH environment setting (either USER or SYSTEM) but does include a directory path under SYSTEM environment vars to another version fo JDK on my machine under "C:\Program Files\Sun\JDK\". I thought this may be causing a conflict but it is version 1.6.0.05_b13 and is also compatible-is it not? I also have Java JRE6 (1.6.0_12-b04) on my machine - this does not have a PATH variable and was not referenced when loading SQL Developer when loading the first time.

Can anyone help me resolve this, why can the previous version still connect OK to XE and not new version? is there something i am missing? Do i require the Java JDK Directory to be placed under a PATH environment SYSTEM variable?

Thanks in advance,
      M

Edited by: user592047 on 16-Mar-2009 10:08
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
          MickyMick
          Taken from about SQL Developer:

Version:
          -----------
          CVS Version          Internal to Oracle SQL Developer (client-only)
          Java(TM) Platform     1.6.0_11
          Oracle IDE          1.5.4.59.40
          Versioning Support     1.5.4.59.40

Properties:
          -----------
          apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar     true
          awt.toolkit                    sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
          class.load.environment          oracle.ide.boot.IdeClassLoadEnvironment
          class.load.log.level          CONFIG
          class.transfer               delegate
          com.apple.macos.smallTabs     true
          com.apple.mrj.application.apple.menu.about.name     "SQL_Developer"
          com.apple.mrj.application.growbox.intrudes     false
          file.encoding               Cp1252
          file.encoding.pkg               sun.io
          file.separator               \
          http.agent                    Mozilla/5.0 (Java 1.6.0_11; Windows Vista 6.0 x86; en_GB) ICEbrowser/v6_1_3
          ice.browser.forcegc          false
          ice.pilots.html4.ignoreNonGenericFonts     true
          ice.pilots.html4.tileOptThreshold     0
          ide.AssertTracingDisabled     true
          ide.bootstrap.start          10390897243225
          ide.build                    MAIN-5940
          ide.conf                    C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf
          ide.config_pathname          C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf
          ide.debugbuild               false
          ide.devbuild               false
          ide.extension.search.path     sqldeveloper/extensions:jdev/extensions:ide/extensions
          ide.firstrun                    false
          ide.java.minversion          1.5.0
          ide.launcherProcessId          2672
          ide.main.class               oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher
          ide.patches.dir               ide/lib/patches
          ide.pref.dir                    C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer
          ide.pref.dir.base               C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming
          ide.product                    oracle.sqldeveloper
          ide.shell.enableFileTypeAssociation     C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new\sqldeveloper.exe
          ide.splash.screen               splash.gif
          ide.startingArg0               C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new\sqldeveloper.exe
          ide.startingcwd               C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new
          ide.user.dir                    C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer
          ide.user.dir.var               IDE_USER_DIR
          ide.work.dir               C:\Users\M\Documents\SQL Developer
          ide.work.dir.base               C:\Users\M\Documents
          java.awt.graphicsenv          sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
          java.awt.printerjob          sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
          java.class.path               ..\..\ide\lib\ide-boot.jar
          java.class.version               50.0
          java.endorsed.dirs          C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\endorsed
          java.ext.dirs               C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\ext;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\lib\ext
          java.home                    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre
          java.io.tmpdir               C:\Users\M\AppData\Local\Temp\
          java.library.path               C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new;.;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\oracle\xe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin;C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\bin;C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Teleca Shared;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Network Monitor 3\;C:\PROGRA~1\DISKEE~1\DISKEE~1\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11;C:\Program Files\Sun\SDK\bin;C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files\Nmap
          java.naming.factory.initial     oracle.javatools.jndi.LocalInitialContextFactory
          java.runtime.name          Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
          java.runtime.version          1.6.0_11-b03
          java.specification.name          Java Platform API Specification
          java.specification.vendor     Sun Microsystems Inc.
          java.specification.version     1.6
          java.util.logging.config.file     logging.conf
          java.vendor                    Sun Microsystems Inc.
          java.vendor.url               http://java.sun.com/
          java.vendor.url.bug          http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
          java.version                    1.6.0_11
          java.vm.info               mixed mode
          java.vm.name               Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
          java.vm.specification.name     Java Virtual Machine Specification
          java.vm.specification.vendor     Sun Microsystems Inc.
          java.vm.specification.version     1.0
          java.vm.vendor               Sun Microsystems Inc.
          java.vm.version               11.0-b16
          jdbc.library                    /C:/Program Files/sqldeveloper_new/jdbc/lib/ojdbc5.jar
          line.separator               \r\n
          oracle.home               C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new
          oracle.ide.util.AddinPolicyUtils.OVERRIDE_FLAG     true
          oracle.translated.locales     de,es,fr,it,ja,ko,pt_BR,zh_CN,zh_TW
          oracle.xdkjava.compatibility.version     9.0.4
          orai18n.library               /C:/Program Files/sqldeveloper_new/jlib/orai18n.jar
          os.arch                    x86
          os.name                    Windows Vista
          os.version                    6.0
          path.separator               ;
          reserved_filenames          con,aux,prn,lpt1,lpt2,lpt3,lpt4,lpt5,lpt6,lpt7,lpt8,lpt9,com1,com2,com3,com4,com5,com6,com7,com8,com9,conin$,conout,conout$
          sun.arch.data.model          32
          sun.boot.class.path          C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\resources.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\jsse.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\jce.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\lib\charsets.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\classes
          sun.boot.library.path          C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre\bin
          sun.cpu.endian               little
          sun.cpu.isalist               pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+mmx pentium i486 i386 i86
          sun.desktop               windows
          sun.io.unicode.encoding     UnicodeLittle
          sun.java2d.ddoffscreen          false
          sun.jnu.encoding               Cp1252
          sun.management.compiler     HotSpot Client Compiler
          sun.os.patch.level          Service Pack 1
          user.country               GB
          user.dir                    C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper_new\sqldeveloper\bin
          user.home                    C:\Users\M
          user.language               en
          user.name                    M
          user.timezone               Europe/London
          user.variant     
          windows.shell.font.languages
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
            Have you confirmed that your 1.5.4 connection details exactly match your 1.2.1 connection details?
            Have you tried creating a new connection in 1.5.4 for the DB and seen if that works?

theFurryOne
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
              MickyMick
              TheFurryOne,

Thanks for replying.

Yes I have confirmed both settings match and have also tried creating a new connection.
              I installed JDeveloper (using my current installed JDK) last night and it too fails to connect to Oracle XE HR schema.

I then tried connecting via Netbeans 6.5 (using "jdbc:oracle:thin:hr/hr@localhost:1521/XE") and it fails also....I've noticed all three use 'ojdbc5.jar' and the previous version of SQL Developer that connects uses 'ojdbc14.jar'? might this be the problem? Which file in SQL Developer stores the setting for where the IDE should look to find the ojdbc? i was thinking of changing it to locate the old 'ojdbc14.jar' to establish if this is the problem.

I should probably point out i don't have much, if any, experience of java and thought using SQLDev and JDev along with XE would be a good way to introduce myself to it. The attempts i've had a repairing it are by way of searching through google, so if anyone can offer further advice i would be greatful.

cheers,
              M
              • 4. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                MickyMick
                Update: I have just downloaded the latest release of SQL Dev including JDK and extracted it to anew directory and ran it. It also gives the connection failure as outlined above!!

I'm at a total loss...can anyone else help?!!

cheers,
                Mick
                • 5. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                  I would guess that the ojdbc5.jar instead of ojdbc14.jar is what is causing the different behaviour, but certainly I don't know for sure. Have you tried using a TNS based connection instead of JDBC?

theFurryOne
                  • 6. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                    MickyMick
                    Thanks again for he reply, Yeah I have also tried using connection type 'TNS' but this comes back with "The Network Adapter could not establish the connection".

I'm sure it has something to do with my Java settings or the OJDBC driver so in case it aids a solution,

MY system PATH details are:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11;C:\oracle\xe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin;C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\bin;C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Teleca Shared;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Network Monitor 3\;C:\PROGRA~1\DISKEE~1\DISKEE~1\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\

My system CLASSPATH details are:

.;C:\Program Files\sqldeveloper\jdbc\lib\ojdbc5.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\lib\ex

My user PATH details are:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11;C:\Program Files\Sun\SDK\bin;C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files\Nmap

Cheers,
                    Mick
                    • 7. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                      Barry McGillin
                      Can you connect with SQL*Plus on cmd line? Specifically looking @ a tns connection.
                      Is your listener up? Netbeans failing points to the db and not SQLDeveloper irrespective of the driver you are using.
                      B
                      • 8. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                        MickyMick
                        Hi Barry, thanks for your time.

i am able to connect to Oracle XE HR Schema via 'SQL*Plus Cmd Line' by typing 'connect' and then typing username and password when prompted but i haven't tried it using a TNS string. I'll do so when i get in tonight - i presume you mean trying to connect using 'hr/hr@XE' ?. Why would my previous version of SQL Developer connect and not the new one if there were problems with the listener? why if netbeans uses the same Ojdbc driver as the newer version of SQLDev and JDev would it point to there being a problem with the DB rather than the OJDBC driver?

I initially thought it may be a firewall issue and tried disabling it but i still got the error.

Of the 5 oracle XE services installed only 2 are running and the rest are set to manual.

Service                              State
                        ------------------------                    --------
                        - OracleXE                              Running
                        - OracleXETNSListener               Running
                        - OracleJobSchedulerXE               Manual
                        - OracleXEClrAgent                    Manual
                        - OracleMTSRecoveryService     Manual

Should any of those that are manual be running or set to automatic?

Cheers,
                        Mick
                        • 9. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                          Barry McGillin
                          Mick

These two should be at least running......and if they are, restart the listener service

OracleServiceXE          Started     Automatic     Local System
                          OracleXETNSListener          Started     Automatic     Local System

Barry
                          • 10. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                            MickyMick
                            Barry thanks again for your help, i was hoping to get back to you sooner but the forumns were down.

I definitely think your on the right track with the listener, when i got home i stopped and restarted both the listener and the Xe service in the following order:

- OracleXE stopped
                            - OracleXETNSListener stopped

- OracleXE started
                            - OracleXETNSListener Started

I still had no joy and decided to check the listeners status using lsnrctl status+
                            i received the following message:

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 19-MAR-2009 13:55:11

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
                            NL-00303: syntax error in NV string
                            TNS-01153: Failed to process string: (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=)(USER=Michael(Jnr)))(COMMAND=stop)(ARGUMENTS=64)(SERV
                            ICE=LISTENER)(VERSION=169869568)))

the listener.ora file holds:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                            (SID_LIST =
                            (SID_DESC =
                            (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
                            (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\xe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server)
                            (PROGRAM = extproc)
                            )
                            (SID_DESC =
                            (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
                            (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\xe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server)
                            (PROGRAM = extproc)
                            )
                            )

LISTENER =
                            (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MGRLap2)(PORT = 1521))
                            )
                            )

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

the tnsnames.ora holds:

XE =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MGRLap2)(PORT = 1521))
                            (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                            (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
                            )
                            )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            (ADDRESS_LIST =
                            )
                            (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SID = PLSExtProc)
                            (PRESENTATION = RO)
                            )
                            )

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            (ADDRESS_LIST =
                            )
                            (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SID = CLRExtProc)
                            (PRESENTATION = RO)
                            )
                            )

My understanding is that there seems to be a problem with the way the listener.ora file is formatted..am i correct? if so, where do i start to correct the formatting...the current file was generated by XE installation as far as i am aware.

cheers,
                            Mick
                            • 11. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                              MickyMick
                              Update: I reformatted my listener.ora file to examples i found elsewhere on the WWW and i still had no success. i came across an article stating that XE should be installed using the Administrators account and even although my user is in the Administrators group decided to give it a bash so i uninstalled XE and re-installed using the admin account. Now when logged in as the Admin both SQL Developer and JDeveloper connect fine. I thought i had it cracked but when i login as my user which as i already stated is part of the Admin group with admin priviledges i get the same errors when trying to connect to XE using SQL Dev or JDev....anyone know why?!! should i now close this thread and open up another in the XE forumn?

cheers,
                              Mick
                              • 12. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                                I seem to be running in to the same problem, on Mac OS X (w.o. the JDK). It was working fine yesterday, until I upgraded to the latest release. Since then I get ORA-17002
                                Downloaded the latest version on Windows w. the JDK and it works fine ..

I'd much rather use the Mac version than running VMWare just to fix this.

cheers
                                Borkur
                                • 13. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                                  Mick,

Is there a reason why you have hard-coded the SQL Developer shipped ojdbc5.jar in your CLASSPATH? I would assume that this is why NetBeans and JDev are failing as well - unless the other tools are running from the right directory (where there is another ojdbcXX.jar) or they have hard-coded jar references, you are forcing them to use the SQL Developer ojdbc5.jar.
                                  What happens if you remove this from your CLASSPATH?

theFurryOne
                                  • 14. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 - IO Exception: Undefined Error VENDOR CODE 1
                                    I have same error code and message.

I have just installed SQL Developer 1.5.4.59.40 onto a Win-XP PC, and get the same error trying to connect to a Oracle 9i db.

In the connections window, I can see a complete list of database names in the dropdown box when trying to connect with TNS names.

The laptop has been freshly rebuilt with company image (including 9i client), and the only thing I have added is SQL Developer.

This same version works perfectly on another PC. (The TNS names file, database, userid and password are all ok.)

Edited by: peetmoore on 18-May-2009 22:53