5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2009 5:50 AM by 692454 RSS

Migration from Mysql to Oracle

Hello to everybody.
      I am currently working over a project, where the task is to migrate MySql database to Oracle database. I surfed some options, which are offered by Oracle, i.e. Migration Workbench and SQL developer Migration. Can someone tell me whether I am on the right way using one of these options to migrate the data or I need something else. Being precise Mysql is running on Lunix and Oracle on Windows Server.
      Thank you in advanced for your support.
        • 1. Re: Migration from Mysql to Oracle
          wkobargs-Oracle
          Hello,

SQL Developer Migration Workbench is your best choice:

"Oracle SQL Developer incorporates migration support by including redeveloped features and greatly extending the functionality and usability offered by the original Oracle Migration Workbench to migrate Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL and Sybase databases to Oracle."

Start here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration//workbench/index_sqldev_omwb.html

The older standalone Migration Workbench is at this time only used for DB2 and Informix migrations. And for any very old versions of other database systems. And it migrates only up to 10g, not to 11g.

Here are the version restrictions for the SQL Developer Migration Workbench:

Supported Databases:

SQL Developer currently supports migrations from non-Oracle databases to
          Oracle 9i Database, Oracle Database 10g and Oracle Database 11g.

The following non-Oracle databases are supported:
          Non-Oracle Database Version
          Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, 2000 and 2005
          Microsoft Access 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003
          MySQL 3, 4 and 5.0
          Sybase Adaptive Server 12 and 15

I hope this helps.

Best regards
          Wolfgang
          • 2. Re: Migration from Mysql to Oracle
            Hello,
            thank you for your answer. What bothers me at that time is the fact that the systems,i.e. the computers are not connected in a network. After revising the possibility of migration i.e. online or offline, i saw that the migration of mysql is possible only online. Could you tell me whether i need a plug-in to capture the source database or what if not this?

Thank you.
            Regards,
            Lui
            • 3. Re: Migration from Mysql to Oracle
              wkobargs-Oracle
              Hi Lui,

where did you read that the migration of mysql is only possible online? The SQL Developer User's Guide says:

Offline capture involves creating a script that you run later, as explained in
              Section 2.6.2, "Offline Capture". You can use offline capture with MySQL,
              Microsoft SQL Server databases, and Sybase Adaptive Server.

I believe that the chapter 2 (Migrating Third-Party Databases) of the SQL Developer User's Guide describes how to do the offline migration in your particular case.

You need of course a JDBC driver so that SQL Developer will recognize your mysql database. SQL Developer will do the search for you - just install SQL Developer, click on Help and on Search for Updates. This will assist you to get the correct jar file for mysql from OTN.

Best regards
              Wolfgang
              • 4. Re: Migration from Mysql to Oracle
                wkobargs-Oracle
                Hi Lui,

do you need more help on this issue? Or did you solve it? Please let me know.

Best regards
                Wolfgang
                • 5. Re: Migration from Mysql to Oracle
                  Hi Wolfgang,
                  I have to postpone this project for a while, but as soon i resume it and I'll let you know whether I succeeded or I need further help.
                  Thank you for your helpfulness. I appreciate it.
                  Regards,
                  Lui