This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2009 11:19 AM by bill hodak - oracle RSS

Creating bundles vs EBS storage

621842 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am assuming the following is true:
- AMI bundles can be a maximum of 10G
- There is no way to use ami-bundle-vol to include the contents of the "etherial" drive (/dev/sda2 or /u02)
If either of these is not true, please let me know.

If true, then Amazon provides the following space:
bash-3.1# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 10321208 8453336 1343584 87% /
none 870484 0 870484 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2 153899044 652464 145428956 1% /u02

Meaning that if I want to install other persistent software and rebundle the Oracle-provided AMI, it must fit in the 1.5G available on the root partition (assuming I'm comfortable running with root near 100%... yikes).

The other option is to install other software packages on an EBS drive, and remount it every time I start a new instance. Is this what most people are doing? It sure seams like a real hassle.

Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions!
- Tom
  • 1. Re: Creating bundles vs EBS storage
    427906 Explorer
    It isn't as much hassle as it sounds, you can script it so's

the ORACLE_HOME and OUI is on the EBS and you have a shellscript ready to go to build a yum repository and haul in the missing packages, and do the kernel changes needed.

Once you get handy with it, approx 25 mins start to finish.
  • 2. Re: Creating bundles vs EBS storage
    bill hodak - oracle Newbie
    Tom,

Amazon Web Services currently has a limit of 10GB for the Amazon Machine Image (AMI) which becomes the root partition of your running EC2 instance. As you suggested, this doesn't leave a lot of room for installing other software. Your best bet is to utilize Elastic Block Storage (EBS) volumes as much as possible to store non-Operating System software and files. We certainly recommend using EBS volumes for storing all database datafiles, logfiles, etc.

Thanks,

Bill Hodak
    Oracle Corporation

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points