4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2009 2:12 PM by 543302 RSS

Question on ILM and ILM Assistant.

Hi, been searching the OTN, metalinks and web for answers, but there is no firmed answers..

Please see if these questions can be answered here. Thanks in advance.

Here's my questions:

1) First version is released in Oracle DB 11g ?

2) If yes, this release can work with 9i and above ?

3) ILM Is available since 10g ? And Without ILM Assistant, how is ILM implemented in versions before 11g?

4) The answer posted in below post:
      Re: Partitioning possibilities for ILM Assistant

is firmed ? That is, ILM Assistant can be used for date-partitioned tables only?

Thanks lots.

Edited by: user1242355 on Apr 22, 2009 11:09 PM
        • 1. Re: Question on ILM and ILM Assistant.
          Hi, posted few questions on this thread and ride on other threads.. but so far, no answers to them...

This forum is still active right?

Edited by: MTora on Apr 26, 2009 2:45 AM
          • 2. Re: Question on ILM and ILM Assistant.
            Hi,

The ILM Assistant does not add any functionality to the Oracle database that doesn't already exist. What it does do is make it easier to utilize partitioning on behalf of a maintenance goal. You are correct in that ILMA still only supports partitioning on a date column. The desire to support non-date keys has been noted.

It works with all versions down to and including 9iR2. Though, it was just uncovered that ILMA fails to install using Apex 3.*. I'm working on that fix and will post a new kit as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Greg
            • 3. Re: Question on ILM and ILM Assistant.
              Hi, thanks for your reply.

from wat i understand from you reply is that
              ILMA new in 11g and can used with Oracle9i and above
              ILMA can used with date-column partition-key only for now.
              but is the
              3) ILM Is available since 10g ? And Without ILM Assistant, how is ILM implemented in versions before 11g?

Thanks in advance.
              • 4. Re: Question on ILM and ILM Assistant.
                Hi,

The ILM Assistant is a layer on top of an existing 9iR2 or later Oracle database. It does not introduce any new features that enable special ILM behavior. What it does do is make it easier to gather the required techniques and apply them for the purpose of managing tiered storage.

So, to answer your question, you can implement your own ILM strategy using current database technology (partitioning, stats, PL/SQL, etc), and this is valid back to Oracle 9i.

Greg