1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 12:42 PM by EdStevens

Listener service not starting

Hi,

I recently installed express edition of oracle. Everything was working fine until today. I'm not able to start the listner service anymore. Nothing was changed on listner.ora or tnsnames.ora files since the last working state.
      Following is the snapshot of the error I get:

U:\>lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 14-MAY-2009 12:38:44

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
      System parameter file is C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
      Log messages written to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\log\listener.log
      Error listening on: (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PARTIAL=yes)(QUEUESIZE=1))
      No longer listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC_FOR_XEipc)))
      TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
      TNS-00583: Valid node checking: unable to parse configuration parameters

Listener failed to start. See the error message(s) above...

If someone can please point me in the right direction. I'm in the urgent need to get it up and working again. The OS is Win XP pro.

Thanks
      Kshitij
        • 1. Re: Listener service not starting
          Although you say nothing has changed, it seems listener.ora is corrupted. Backup the file , then recreate it.

Werner
          • 2. Re: Listener service not starting
            sb92075
            what changed?
            software does not spontaneously break.
            • 3. Re: Listener service not starting
              Hi,

Have you set the env before checking the listener status as below.

set oracle_sid=dbname in the command prompt

then issue " lsnrctl services" on the command prompt to know the all services default listener is listening to.

Are you using the default listener or you have created any other listener other than default one. If possible post your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files for our ref.

Have you tried NET STOP oracleoradb10g_homeTNSLISTENER from cmd prompt and NET START oracleoradb10g_homeTNSLISTENER TO start it again.

Regards,
              Karthik
              • 4. Re: Listener service not starting
                EdStevens
                Karthikambalav wrote:
                Hi,

Have you set the env before checking the listener status as below.

set oracle_sid=dbname in the command prompt
                The listener doesn't care about ORACLE_SID.

>
                then issue " lsnrctl services" on the command prompt to know the all services default listener is listening to.
                The OP said the listenr won't start. Makes it kind of hard to issue a meaningful 'lsnrctl services'.
                Are you using the default listener or you have created any other listener other than default one. If possible post your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files for our ref.
                tnsnames.ora is used by <b><i><u>client</u></i></b> processes. It has no impact on getting a listener started.

>
                Have you tried NET STOP oracleoradb10g_homeTNSLISTENER from cmd prompt and NET START oracleoradb10g_homeTNSLISTENER TO start it again.
                His errors were:

the method of stopping and starting the listener is not going to get around that.
                Regards,
                Karthik
                • 5. Re: Listener service not starting
                  EdStevens
                  user11129643 wrote:
                  Hi,

I recently installed express edition of oracle. Everything was working fine until today.
                  How recently is "recently"?
                  I'm not able to start the listner service anymore. Nothing was changed on listner.ora or tnsnames.ora files since the last working state.
                  Following is the snapshot of the error I get:

U:\>lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 14-MAY-2009 12:38:44

System parameter file is C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
                  Log messages written to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\log\listener.log
                  Error listening on: (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PARTIAL=yes)(QUEUESIZE=1))
                  No longer listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC_FOR_XEipc)))

So what did you find when you followed the explicit instruction to see the error messages. What did you discover when you looked up a TNS-00583?

>
                  >
                  If someone can please point me in the right direction. I'm in the urgent need to get it up and working again. The OS is Win XP pro.

Thanks
                  Kshitij
                  • 6. Re: Listener service not starting
                    Thank you all for the quick responses.
                    But it has not solved the issue yet. The database was working 3 days ago. And then the computer restarted due to some power issues. After that it did not work. Is it a possibilty that the ip address may have caused it (ip adresses are automatically assigned on the network).
                    I tried using an old backed up copy of listner.ora but same error
                    Below is my listner.ora and tnsnames.ora file:

listner.ora

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                    (SID_LIST =
                    (SID_DESC =
                    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
                    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server)
                    (PROGRAM = extproc)
                    )
                    (SID_DESC =
                    (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
                    (PROGRAM = extproc)
                    )
                    (SID_DESC =
                    (SID_NAME = edw)
                    (PROGRAM = hsodbc)
                    )

)

LISTENER =
                    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = txfriedk0296831.gsm1900.org)(PORT = 1521))
                    )
                    )

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    tnsnames.ora

XE =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                    (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
                    )
                    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS_LIST =
                    )
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SID = PLSExtProc)
                    (PRESENTATION = RO)
                    )
                    )

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS_LIST =
                    )
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SID = CLRExtProc)
                    (PRESENTATION = RO)
                    )
                    )

OSS =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS_LIST =
                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 5.209.9.41)(PORT = 1521))
                    )
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVICE_NAME = OSS)
                    )
                    )
                    TP_OSS =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS_LIST =
                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 5.209.25.41)(PORT = 1521))
                    )
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVICE_NAME = OSS)
                    )
                    )
                    TPIM_RS =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (ADDRESS_LIST =
                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.46.21.135)(PORT = 1521))
                    )
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVICE_NAME = OSS)
                    )
                    )

EDW =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                    (SID = edw)
                    )
                    (HS=OK)
                    )
                    • 7. Re: Listener service not starting
                      I checked for TNS-00583 and it says that it may be due to syntactical errors in listener.ora file. But to me the syntax looks correct.
                      Any comments?
                      • 8. Re: Listener service not starting
                        EdStevens
                        user11129643 wrote:
                        Thank you all for the quick responses.
                        But it has not solved the issue yet. The database was working 3 days ago. And then the computer restarted due to some power issues. After that it did not work. Is it a possibilty that the ip address may have caused it (ip adresses are automatically assigned on the network).
                        I tried using an old backed up copy of listner.ora but same error
                        Below is my listner.ora and tnsnames.ora file:
                        <snip>

First, tnsnames is a client side issue. The listener couldn't care less about what is in it.

So, the computer restarted, and you have DHCP assigned ip addresses. Go back to your installation guide and read about network issues in the prerequesites section. Servers (and your database is a server process, even if running on your laptop) don't function well if the ip address is constantly changing.
                        • 9. Re: Listener service not starting
                          EdStevens
                          user11129643 wrote:
                          I checked for TNS-00583 and it says that it may be due to syntactical errors in listener.ora file. But to me the syntax looks correct.
                          Any comments?
                          It can also be a syntax issue with sqlnet.ora. Did you do antything to that file? Given that your other post stated you had an unexpected power outage, who knows? Maybe your file did get corrupted in strange and subtle ways. I'd just save off the sqlnet.ora, listener.ora, and while at it, tnsnames.ora, then recreate them all using netca.
                          1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Listener service not starting
                            sb92075
                            (SID_NAME = edw)
                            ???
                            (SID_NAME = XE) might work better; then again it might not
                            but I don't see how this would cause reported error message.

IIRC, for some versions of V10 Oracle, no listener.ora file is/was required to start the listener.
                            It would not make matters worse to rename listener.ora out of the way & then do
                            lsnrctl start

With free advice you get what you paid for it.

Edited by: cmengler on May 14, 2009 12:38 PM
                            • 11. Re: Listener service not starting
                              What I have tried until now:

Generated a new listener.ora from netca and tried starting it.

(SID_NAME = edw) is what i created for hetrogeneous services. It was working as well before this issue happened.

Changed the port number and then tried starting it.

Still no luck :(
                              • 12. Re: Listener service not starting
                                EdStevens
                                user11129643 wrote:
                                What I have tried until now:

Generated a new listener.ora from netca and tried starting it.

(SID_NAME = edw) is what i created for hetrogeneous services. It was working as well before this issue happened.

Changed the port number and then tried starting it.

Still no luck :(
                                Same error message, or did it change? Do you possibly have multiple listner.ora files and your not picking up the one you think?

Have you tried starting a completely default, vanilla listener by not having any listener.ora file at all? We could start from there and build up by steps. You don't need a SID_LIST section just to get a listener started, so you could try that. Then there is still the DHCP issue floating around, but the error msg I've seen so far says corrupted config file.
                                • 13. Re: Listener service not starting
                                  Rename your listener.ora to something else. Oracle is able to start a default listener listening on port 1521 without a listener.ora. So you can check is it really a listener.ora problem. If that works very likely it's a problem with sqlnet.ora.

Werner

I should say, if it still does NOT work ...

Edited by: oradba on May 14, 2009 10:35 PM
                                  • 14. Re: Listener service not starting
                                    Still its the same error.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                                    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

U:\>lstctrl start
                                    'lstctrl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
                                    operable program or batch file.

U:\>lsnctrl start
                                    'lsnctrl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
                                    operable program or batch file.

U:\>lsnrctl

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 14-MAY-2009 15:28:29

Welcome to LSNRCTL, type "help" for information.

LSNRCTL> start

Error listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=txfriedk0296831.gsm1900.org)(PORT=1521)))

There is only one listner file running and its picking up the right one . I also tried changing the HOSTname to the current ip address. But it still fails with the same reason.
                                    Tried starting it without any listener.ora file but failed with the same error.

I'm trying to find with local IT if they recently installed new firewalls etc that might block ports on machines.

Will it help if I uninstall/install oracle ?
                                    1 2 Previous Next