1 Reply Latest reply: May 25, 2009 3:01 PM by Christian Berg RSS

Is there any way we can automatically cache "Marketing Segments"?

I need a help. This is related to "Segmentation".

Is there any way we can automatically cache "Marketing Segments"? If you know of any method, please do let me know.

My question is how do we cache a given segment. For example: First time, we run a given segment it take 3 hours, the next run it takes less than 10 mins. So, if the user/IT can cache the segment before the user tries to run, he will get a
      fast response. How do achieve this? Please do let me know.

Thanks a lot in advance.
        • 1. Re: Is there any way we can automatically cache "Marketing Segments"?
          Christian Berg
          1.) Caching is not a one-stop-shop for "solutions to everything".

2.) If you have a query that runs 3 hours you most likely have some poor design in you rpd and / or datasource.

3.) 10 minutes = fast response?

4.) Before starting to cache (see 1), analyze your problem. As I said it's most likely down to poor or just plain incorrect design. Check your business models. Then check your physical design.
          Think fragmentation tables and / or aggregation tables. YOu get ten times more out of those (actually far more than 10x) than from caching.

5.) Examine using the Oracle OLAP option to create your segemtns off of a small cube (you might even want to look into cube materialized views if you have that option).

6.) If all this fails, come back here and I give you more info on caching.

Until 1-5 are done, don't ask for 6 ;-)

Cheers,
          Christi@n