12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 12:24 AM by 750920 RSS

preferences.xml in Enterprise

Hi,
      I have exported my workspace layout into a preferences.xml file. I put this file in $workspace_deploy_path/WEB-INF and I updated the deployment in weblogic, but the changes did not take effect. Must I do anything more? Is there another way to change my preferences in my enterprise workspace?
        • 1. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
          Daniel Atwood
          Hi,

I think you're really close.

Look at the documentation on the Workspace customization again (the "OracleBPM-WorkSpaceCustomizationGuide_10.3.pdf" file downloadable from http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E13154_01/bpm/docs65/pdf/OracleBPM-WorkSpaceCustomizationGuide_10.3.pdf)

Look at page 28. In the middle of that page it has you editing the workspace.properties file and adding the new line:
          fuego.workspace.preferences.defaultXml=/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml
          Instead of "default_layout.xml", I think you just need to type in "preferences.xml" and restart the Engine and Workspace.

Hope this helps,
          Dan
          • 2. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
            user170821
            I've faced the same issue.

I went throught document "Workspace Customization" steps, following page 30 recommendations. But nothing changed. Then issued a SR, and Support told me to export the layout from STUDIO workspace insted of doing it from ENTERPRISE workspace.

The steps should be

1. Start Studio Engine and log into Studio workspace using Admin as user
            2. Enable edition
            3. Add the panels you want to customize (or remove)
            4. Export the layout, (default name is preferences.xml), I've named it default_layout.xml following document's instructions
            5. Copy the default_layout.xml file to ENTERPRISE install dir: OraBPMEnterpriseHome/webapps/workspace/WEB-INF/
            6. Edit the workspace.properties files located in that dir
            7. Add the following property

fuego.workspace.preferences.defaultXml=/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml
            (remember not to add it at the end of file, place it somewhere betweend other properties)

8. Do the usual tasks to restart Tomcat (stop Engines, go to admin center, stop web apps, start again).

That should work (it worked for me)

THANKS SOWMIYA for your priceless help.

Regards,
            GastonM
            • 3. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
              vroldan
              Hi ,

I've tried different ways, but workspace.properties can not read the key fuego.workspace.preferences.defaultXml=/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml

Any else that can help me please?

Steps that I've done
              -----------------------------------
              1.Go to http:localhost:7001/workspace
              2. Log on with admin user ( in my case bpmadmin)
              3. Go to Edit Mode ON
              4. Do my changes
              5. Export the preferences.xml
              6.Go to workspace.properties and set the key fuego.workspace.preferences.defaultXml=/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml
              7. Restart Weblogic Server.

Maybe I have to change permision in the xml file (chmod 777) ? ....

Thanks, I hope you can help me!!!.
              • 4. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                Hi,
                It depends where you are editing the workspace.properties.
                If it is in the instalation folder you should regenerate the workspace.ear and deploy it to weblogic.
                Regards
                • 5. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                  vroldan
                  Hi Ruben

I'm new in this things, Forgive my ignorace but:

- How do I know it's the instalation folder?
                  - How do I regenerate the workspace.ear and deploy it to weblogic?

Look,I made a script that I post below:

###############################################################################################
                  #Copiar workspace.properties
                  cp workspace.properties /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/ears/webapps/webapps_expanded/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/.
                  cp workspace.properties /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/webapps/workspace/WEB-INF/.
                  #cp workspace.properties /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/Fuego-WebLogic-#Deployer/fuego_webapp_expanded/08-workspace-xafdids.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/.
                  cp workspace.properties /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/servers/MyAdminServer/upload/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/app/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/.

#Copiar default_layout.xml
                  cp default_layout.xml /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/ears/webapps/webapps_expanded/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/.
                  cp default_layout.xml /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/webapps/workspace/WEB-INF/.
                  #cp default_layout.xml /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/Fuego-WebLogic-#Deployer/fuego_webapp_expanded/08-workspace-xafdids.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/.
                  cp default_layout.xml /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/servers/MyAdminServer/upload/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/app/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/.

#Cambiar permisos workspace.properties
                  chmod 664 /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/ears/webapps/webapps_expanded/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/workspace.properties
                  chmod 775 /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/webapps/workspace/WEB-INF/workspace.properties
                  #chmod 640 /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/Fuego-WebLogic-Deployer/#fuego_webapp_expanded/08-workspace-xafdids.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/workspace.properties
                  chmod 775 /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/servers/MyAdminServer/upload/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/app/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/workspace.properties

#Cambiar permisos default_layout.xml
                  chmod 664 /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/ears/webapps/webapps_expanded/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml
                  chmod 775 /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/webapps/workspace/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml
                  #chmod 640 /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/Fuego-WebLogic-Deployer/#fuego_webapp_expanded/08-workspace-xafdids.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml
                  chmod 775 /u01/oracle/user_projects/domains/MyDomain/servers/MyAdminServer/upload/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/app/08-workspace-XAFDIDS.ear/workspace.war/WEB-INF/default_layout.xml

###############################################################################################

Anything please let me know!!!

Thanks!.
                  • 6. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                    Hi,
                    The installation folder in your case is the following:
                    /u01/oracle/OraBPMwlHome/webapps/workspace/WEB-INF/
                    But seems from your script that you are copying it also in the application deployed in weblogic so should work.
                    But to be in the safe mode you can modify in the installation folder and regenerate the workspace ear from the process administrator (webconsole). To doucble check from the webconsole you can also download the ear in local and check if the workspace.properties is the correct one.
                    Also from the process administrator you can undeploy the previos workspace and deploy the new one once you check that is correct the workspace properties in the previous step.
                    HTH
                    • 7. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                      vroldan
                      Hey Ruben, Thanks for reply.

Look , What I'm trying to do it's to group applications. So

1. I go to edit mode ON
                      2. create a new page
                      3.Create a new application and worklist panel.
                      4. Then I go to: http://localhost:7001/workspaceadmin and create an application view with only some applications.
                      5. Then on the workspace I configure that on page1 appears all the applications deployed and on page2(recently created) show only the applications created on http://localhost:7001/workspaceadmin
                      6. I export the default_layout.xml

But still don't work!!!

Maybe you know other way to group applications??

Thank you so much!!
                      • 8. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                        Hi,
                        From what you are saying you want to have two layouts, a default one and another custom.
                        In that case if you don't want to modify the default layout I think is better that you create the layout in Studio and then when deploying the project in enterprise select the option to import layouts.
                        Regards
                        • 9. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                          vroldan
                          Hi Ruben, Thanks for reply. I solved my problem but not at all.

I have to delete myDomain and re-create everything :
                          1) install a new weblogic
                          2) create a new dir and engine database
                          3) deploy the projects(.exp) again.
                          4) re-create all users
                          5) re-create applications views on http://localhost:7001/workspaceadmin

And then, when I started the weblogic service, changes take place.

I was wondering if you know another way to show group proccess on the workspace? I made a video, so you can really understand me what i just said.The link is: http://youtu.be/sEPSNAANxgA

Hope you can help me!! Maybe you have done this.

Thanks!
                          • 10. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                            Hi,
                            I have seen your video and I think you are doing the correct thing but seems there is something with that user that displays applications in that tab that should not display.
                            Probably that is because a custom view has been stored for that user. In fact in your video for other user seems to work fine.
                            Can you please test with another user with the same roles as the one you show me to see if it happens the same?
                            If for other user works fine then it is a problem that for that user some temporary views have been stored and I can give you a query to delete them.
                            Regards
                            • 11. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                              vroldan
                              Hey Ruben,

Thanks for watched my video and also thanks for your time.

Ruben, I gotta tell you, something really weird happened.

I did my configuration on Monday afternoon and in every single user I log on, the page show me all the applications. So I decided to do the video, and show you what was happening.

I did the video Tuesday morning and during the video I log on with the user 'jpalacios', and on the 'Contabilidad' page the application pannel showed nothing and that's what i wanted!!!. So I though everything works fine. I log on with other user, and on 'Contabilidad' page, the application pannel showed me all the applications and that was wrong!!, and This is what you saw on the video. Then I did what you told me. I started to log on with the other users and the others display the applications like user 'jpalacios'.

After that I decided to do all over again. I deleted and created everything today, Wednesday morning.

And know, evething show me everthing, and seems like the workspace view created don't work!!. SO, PLEASE GIVE ME THE QUERY YOU HAVE!!, maybe that is the solution.

Just for the record:
                              --------------------------
                              1. I did my configuration on Monday afternooon and I did the video Tuesday morning, more than 8 hours passed. Maybe is the reason why the engine updated and only one user was wrong and the others were right????

2. I'm still have to delete my Domain, if I change some of the preference.xml, Maybe with the query you have, will solve that problem?

Thanks again Ruben, send me the query and I let you know.

Thanks a lot!!
                              • 12. Re: preferences.xml in Enterprise
                                My email is ruben.vidaurre@bpmsoasolutions.com.
                                Send me an email and I will reply to you.
                                Regards