1 8 9 10 11 12 13 Previous Next 194 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 6:52 PM by justinkestelyn Go to original post
      • 135. Re: Metalink Classic - To Be Continued
        Nicolas.Gasparotto
        Dinesh,

You're talking about performance. Well, before questionning performance, we should have a stable and working environment.
        Three weeks ago, Peoplesoft released a new version of PeopleTools (8.50) and the 1st patch was released the day after. Everything was fine, through the "Patch and Updates" link on MOS, I could find the infortmations and password requires to extract that patch (eventhough the page was not improved by MOS, still the same as before MOS).
        Right now, the page about this patch disappeared. Like it has never been existed.
        Even worse, the previous Peopletools version (8.49) have released the patch 24 two days ago - and Friday I read the information as well, but I'm afraid, we cannot find anymore the pages informations about patch later than patch 09 (Feb-2008) !!! You know what does it mean ? We cannot extract the patch (zipped) which is password protected, and finally cannot use it to fix our issues.

Nicolas.
        • 136. We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
          ROC
          Check this tidbit buried in the latest "retirement" announcement:

"For those customers and partners who need to access My Oracle Support in a non-Flash Player environment, an HTML option will still be available after the upgrade, allowing you to create/update Service Requests, search the knowledge base, and download patches; however, functionality of the HTML option will be limited."

RO
          • 137. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
            Lars Sjöström
            To me that sounds like very good news.

Best Regards,
            Lars Sjöström
            Swedish Oracle User Group
            • 138. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
              Hemant K Chitale
              Let's hope that the "limited" functionality is adequate for our needs. Then we will not need the New ML at all.
              • 139. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                Acavotta-Oracle
                Thank you for helping get the word out on the My Oracle Support HTML Option. DOC ID 84106.1 describes the features included and not included. I am repeating the information update here:

For those customers and partners who need to access My Oracle Support in a non-Flash Player environment, a HTML option will be still available after the upgrade. The HTML option will include a subset of functionality available on My Oracle Support. It will include:

•     SR management, including create and update SR, attachments, and configuration association
                •     Browse and searching of the knowledgebase
                •     Patch search and download
                •     My Oracle Support Communities
                •     Certify
                •     Favorites
                •     User administration
                •     Hot Topics
                •     Bug Summary
                •     Service Request Management Reports

The HTML option will not include the following functionality, which is only available in the full version of My Oracle Support:

•     Systems
                •     Projects
                •     Healthchecks
                •     Patch Advice & Recommendations
                •     Inventory Reporting
                •     OnDemand Portal Functionality
                •     CRM OnDemand Service Requests & Knowledge

The same data will be presented in both interfaces, including your Favorites.

kind regards,
                Tony Cavotta
                My Oracle Support Product Management

Edited by: acavotta on Oct 7, 2009 9:46 AM
                • 140. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                  Hans Forbrich
                  acavotta wrote:
                  For those customers and partners who need to access My Oracle Support in a non-Flash Player environment, a HTML option will be still available after the upgrade. The HTML option will include a subset of functionality available on My Oracle Support. It will include:
                  The HTML option will not include the following functionality, which is only available in the full version of My Oracle Support:

kind regards,
                  Tony Cavotta
                  Tony,

Please give my thanks to the Support group. The list of functionality available in the HTML interface covers approximately 99% (+/-1%) of MY needs.

/Hans
                  • 141. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                    user649511
                    FYI - The full document Id is 841061.1

I agree, this is very very good news and I like that it doesn't include the word temporary anywhere in teh description. I too will be able to continue to do what I need without the new flash version.
                    • 142. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                      ROC
                      Awesome! I'm "with" Hans Forbrich - looks like this will cover about 99% of what I would need.

I am glad to help "get the word out" about the HTML option, but there is no need to "hide your light under a bushel" as we were advised about 2,000 years ago ...

However, I did not see any mention of Bookmarks. That is a very important resource that I have built up over time in my dealings with supporting Oracle App Server. Will that capability remain available in the html version?

On another note, I took another look at the "Community" tab, and that strikes me as providing much of the "modern look" of the MOS site without the Flash penalty (albeit about as "busy" looking as MOS, if not more so on some screens - a LOT of distracting frame-like clutter, but still usable without much of Flash's rubbery/psychedelic visual weirdness or performance hit ;-). Could that design be a "way forward" to convergence?

Regards,
                      RO
                      • 143. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        I'm joining the other people, thanks for keeping classic Metalink alive.

Nicolas.
                        • 144. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                          jgarry
                          acavotta wrote:
                          Thank you for helping get the word out on the My Oracle Support HTML Option. DOC ID 84106.1 describes the features included and not included. I am repeating the information update here:

•     SR management, including create and update SR, attachments, and configuration association
                          •     Browse and searching of the knowledgebase
                          •     Patch search and download
                          •     My Oracle Support Communities
                          •     Certify
                          •     Favorites
                          •     User administration
                          •     Hot Topics
                          •     Bug Summary
                          •     Service Request Management Reports

•     Systems
                          •     Projects
                          •     Healthchecks
                          •     Patch Advice & Recommendations
                          •     Inventory Reporting
                          •     OnDemand Portal Functionality
                          •     CRM OnDemand Service Requests & Knowledge

kind regards,
                          Tony Cavotta

Edited by: acavotta on Oct 7, 2009 9:46 AM
                          Another one glad I don't have to worry about things like:

[My Oracle Support Configuration Management FAQ|https://metalink.oracle.com/cgi-bin/cr/getfile.cgi?p_attid=747242.1:FAQ] still has some serious issues (like issue 7614097). Are they being resolved? Fairly old date on that.

In the "full functionality," will the back button ever work, so I can go back to what I was previously looking at? For example, I was at patches and updates, searched for a patch, and clicked on dashboard, searched and found the above document. How can I get back to where I was in patches and updates?
                          • 145. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                            Chris Slattery
                            Let's hope they don't change the standard ML interface although I don't hold out much hope.
                            • 146. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                              Lars Sjöström
                              Hi,
                              You mean by standard ML interface the PL/SQL interface, it would surprise even me if Oracle did rewrite that piece of software. It IS working, if you
                              just need the things Mr Cavotta said in the post above. And the things listed is suffient for most of our (old customers) needs.

So Kudos to Oracle Support leadership that it will be kept. I dare not ask for how long.

Best Regards,
                              Lars Sjöström
                              Orcan - Swedish Oracle User Group
                              • 147. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                                Hemant K Chitale
                                That list of "limited" features to continue in Classic MetaLink is almost 100% of my requirements.
                                Thanks !

Hemant K Chitale
                                • 148. Re: We Have Been Heard!! (I hope)
                                  Chris Slattery
                                  "The HTML option will not include the following functionality, which is only available in the full version of My Oracle Support:

• Systems
                                  • Projects
                                  • Healthchecks
                                  • Patch Advice & Recommendations
                                  • Inventory Reporting
                                  • OnDemand Portal Functionality
                                  • CRM OnDemand Service Requests & Knowledge"

As Hemant says, what is being kept in Classic ML is 100% almost of what my own customers need.

Edited by: Chris Slattery on Oct 9, 2009 8:46 AM
                                  • 149. Re: Metalink Classic - To Be Continued
                                    riedelme
                                    This saga continues. Metalink appears to be reaching out and touching other applications.

I came to OTN today and could not log in with the same login I've been using since I registered.

I dimly remembered having to change my Metalink password through a forced screen a few days ago so I went there and also could not log in. So I went through the what-is-my-password ritual, got a new incoherent password, and was able to log into Metalink Classic. Immediately went to change the password to something I could remember (pasted password to log in) and Metalink Classic balked claiming (pasted) entered new password was not valid despite its validity for login. Old password worked for immediate login then and for OTN, to there may have been a data propagation issue getting the new password out.

Came back to OTN and found myself already logged in. An educated guess says that since I registered both sites with the same email address they're using the same interface now. Logged off OTN and got back in using my Metalink login.

This was all much harder than it needed to be. I would prefer my Metalink and OTN accounts to be distinct. I also was not aware that the OTN logins were going to change.

[later]

Got timed out and tried to log in again. OTN claimed invalid login. Used generated incoherent password (still in buffer) and logged in to post this. Will try to log into metalink after logging off OTN again. I learned from the movie Princess Bride that life is pain but this is a bit much.

Edited by: riedelme on Oct 9, 2009 9:04 AM