2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 8:43 AM by 639961

Item Attributes with List Of Values

Hello friends

I am Khan, very new to EBS. Recently purchased EBS R12.0.4 and before implementing trying to learn of our own. I have few questions related to Item Attributes.

We are in need of following and required your assistance in formalizing the structure. We need the solution without customization if possible.
      We are looking to define the item attributes with list of values. Our items contain some attributes for example between 3 to 8 attributes which are different for item to item definition. Sometimes attributes are dependent to previous attribute.

For Example, Item called “CPU”, may have attributes with list of values.

Attribute & List Of Values
      1)     Processor =========== Intel, AMD, MAC ….
      2)     Memory ============ 2 Gb, 4 Gb, 8 Gb …..
      3)     Hard Disk =========== 120 Gb, 160 Gb, 250 Gb …
      4)     DVD ============== Multi
      5)     Brand ============= Dell, Hp, Acer, IBM

However for Example, Item called “Printer”, may have attributes with following list of values.

1)     Type ============ Deskjet ,LaserJet….
      2)     Brand ============ HP, Epson, Canon …..
      3)     Model ============ OJK7103, 5200Tn, 5500

In Item Master Form, we have noticed Item field and description field. My questions are as follows:

Q1) How to know the field is flex field or not? When we examine the field, we are not sure whether the field is flex or not.

Q2) Is Item Field a flex field? If yes how to create Item field as segment base (with List of Values as my example mentioned above). If Item field is not flex field can we make it Flex field without customization

Q3) Is Description a flex field? It appear to us it is flex field. If yes how to change the segments of that, and make them as list of values as my example above.

Q4) In Item catalog, we have seen “Catalog Group”, is this a flex field?

Q5) In the Item catalog form, on the Catalog Group. We have seen some descriptive elements. These are look like attributes of the Item, and we have seen these are link with Catalog Group. My question is, how can we make these Descriptive elements as List of Values? Which means we don’t want to each time type the values rather select the values. So this will solve our problems as example I mentioned above.

We are in urgent need of this.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards

Edited by: user936494 on Jun 16, 2009 11:03 AM
        • 1. Re: Item Attributes with List Of Values
          Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
          In Item Master Form, we have noticed Item field and description field. My questions are as follows:

Q1) How to know the field is flex field or not? When we examine the field, we are not sure whether the field is flex or not.
          There are 2 types of flexfields. Key Flexfield (such as the item number itself) and descriptive flexfields. Descriptive Flexfields are the fields that pop up when you click on the beer mug next to the description.

Q2) Is Item Field a flex field? If yes how to create Item field as segment base (with List of Values as my example mentioned above). If Item field is not flex field can we make it Flex field without customization
          Item # is a key flexfield. You define a value set and assign the value set to the Item KFF segment1. Typically, the value set would simply define how many characters can it have, if it will have numbers only etc.

Q3) Is Description a flex field? It appear to us it is flex field. If yes how to change the segments of that, and make them as list of values as my example above.
          No.

Q4) In Item catalog, we have seen “Catalog Group”, is this a flex field?
          No
          Q5) In the Item catalog form, on the Catalog Group. We have seen some descriptive elements. These are look like attributes of the Item, and we have seen these are link with Catalog Group. My question is, how can we make these Descriptive elements as List of Values? Which means we don’t want to each time type the values rather select the values. So this will solve our problems as example I mentioned above.
          There is no out of the box way to attach LOV to Catalog element values.

It is good that you are trying on your own but I would suggest brining in a good consultant who can make this easier and faster for you.

Sandeep Gandhi
          513-325-9026
          • 2. Re: Item Attributes with List Of Values
            Hi,

Can't help but notice that you have very basic questions regarding oracle structure and I have to say I completely agree with Sandeep that you should consult to implementers to ensure smooth implementations.

For example, your case looks like you need extra field to store informations, but specific for certain item types. For this you can use Descriptive Flexfield (DFF) with Item Type as reference field, while keeping the item number Key Flexfield simple. You could use value sets for the DFF attributes to create the List of Value so you can choose the value instead of typing. However, using DFF would mean more customized report needed because standard reports and other forms referring to the item will not retrieve DFF data. Please refer to Flexfield User Guide for this.

Thanks